Economic Stimulus - New truck tire purchase

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I stimulated the economic outlook of a local Goodyear dealer today. The tires on my truck were looking pretty worn lately, so I went and replaced all seven. The OEM's were General Grabbers, which don't have any tread life "warranty" on them. Figures since they had less than 35K miles on them in almost 3 1/2 years. Now I'm rolling on GY Wrangler Silent Armor, with a pretty aggressive looking deep tread pattern and a 50K mile rating on them. Once the credit card cools off, I can put it back in my pocket.

The trailer will get new shoes before next summer's season.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Re: Economic Stimulus

Thank you for helping the economy John. We RV'ers just seem to have a soft spot for helping out, don't we? :rolleyes:

JohnDar

Thank you for helping the economy John. We RV'ers just seem to have a soft spot for helping out, don't we? :rolleyes:

Yep, whether we want to or not :(. I just wish my uncle would quit grabbing me by the ankles and shaking me upside down every April 15th.

JohnDar

Heck - he shakes me every payday!:mad:

He shakes me every "pension" day, but gets real violent in April. You're encouraged to save and invest for retirement, but boy do they get greedy and sneaky when you try to use some of it. The 20% is just the start when you get the distribution. Finding it bumps you into a higher bracket and being smacked because you didn't mail in estimated tax payments because of it is no fun. I'd take it all off-shore, but I don't swim real good.

nscaler2

I'm sure if you talk to Mr. Romney he can tell you all about the off-shore stuff.

JohnDar

Just a bit of a follow-up about buying tires. When you do, I HIGHLY recommend you find a tire dealer that has the Hunter GSP9700 equipment. The dealer (national chain) did not and I believe they were either using a bubble device or a Quija board. As soon as I left the store, I heard some "pings" and felt a shudder in the steering wheel. Went back the next morning and they had to rebalance a front tire. Leaving the place, another ping and I returned. They redid the front tires.

On the road to Indian River pulling my sister's rig, there was still a noticeable shudder, so I went online to Hunter's website and found a GM dealer in Cheboygan that had the equipment. Instead of 17 weights on one of the front tires (and evidence some had come off), they got all 7 balanced with only two per tire. Cost an extra $115 for the work, but it rides good as new, now.

I ran into something similar several years ago when I replaced the tires on my Avalanche through a different national chain. Ended up getting the Hunter test done at a GM dealer and found that two of the four Goodyear tires I had purchased were molded so badly that they couldn't be balanced. The place I bought them from replaced them without a fight and it was OK after that.

Think when I get home, I'll drop by the tire store again...