Servicing your heartland product with local dealers when you purchased south of the border

Hello fellow RVers, I am new to the Heartland family and was just wondering if anybody has had any problems dealing with any warranty issues at their local dealerships. I am from Edmonton, Alberta and just purchased a greystone 33ck from south of the border and saved over $5ooo bucks all in with shipping and taxes as well as got a 2013 instead of a 2012 that all dealers had up here. Nobody would even attempt to come close to matching a price or even be within a couple grand. When i talked to my local dealer, the service manager assured me he would not be working on my imported unit, so just wondering if that was just a scare tactic or if anyone else has had any same sort of issues.... Thanks

rick_debbie_gallant

Welcome aboard brother. There must be lots of business for some of these dealers that refuse to work on an "SOB" (some will say sob stands for "some other brand", but then that could also mean "south of the border".) Yes, there are dealers that play that game of not servicing rigs that are not sold by them and I would call them "SAD" or a "sorry *** dealer"! But then there are dealers that will service those rigs not sold by them. All I can say is that you have bought a pretty decent brand and Heartland will step up to the plate so to speak when there are problems. Have I made any sense with my ramblings? If not, I took in way too much smoke. Happy trails to you and may many memories come your way around the next bend in the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

noobee

Hello fellow RVers, I am new to the Heartland family and was just wondering if anybody has had any problems dealing with any warranty issues at their local dealerships. I am from Edmonton, Alberta and just purchased a greystone 33ck from south of the border and saved over $5ooo bucks all in with shipping and taxes as well as got a 2013 instead of a 2012 that all dealers had up here. Nobody would even attempt to come close to matching a price or even be within a couple grand. When i talked to my local dealer, the service manager assured me he would not be working on my imported unit, so just wondering if that was just a scare tactic or if anyone else has had any same sort of issues.... Thanks

I'm in Sundre & bought my unit in the USA in 2007. And yes an Airdrie/Red Deer based dealer told me they wouldn't service my unit under warranty. The only warranty work that I needed was done by the Heartland service center in Elkhart.

If you need work done, contact Heartland to see if they'll authorize an independent local RV Service Company to do the work.

wdk450

NISKUFIRETRUCK:

1) I hope you are aware that you can get service under your Heartland Warranty FROM ANY RV SERVICER YOU CHOOSE with pre-authorization from Heartland service. Even if your local Heartland dealer is co-operative, it is your choice where to go for service.

2) I personally think that independent (no RV sales) 3rd party RV servicers have the most incentive for providing good RV service. Since they don't depend on sales dollars to support their service function, they want you to be happy with them, tell your RVing friends about their business, and want you to come back to them in the future. You may be able to find some of these servicers in your area at the RVSERVICEREVIEWS.com website. Otherwise ask around, on this forum, and locally.

3) I think you should send a PM to our owner's advocate to the Heartland Corporation, Jim Beletti. This private e-mail about your warranty service refusal should have all of the names and details for Heartland to check out. I have heard that Heartland has dropped dealers for this, but this is heresay information.

Good luck on getting the warranty service you paid for as part of your purchase price, and happy RVing!!!

FordMan1966

I bought my 2013 Landmark at a dealer about 30 miles from me and I do not think they have a good Service Department. The local dealer about 7 miles from me told me to bring it to him and he would do the Service work on the Landmark. I think any Heartland Dealer has to work on your RV. Call Customer Service at Heartland.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree with Bill. As long as it's preauthorized by HL, any independent repair shop can service your rig.

I have found some dealers will keep putting new sales preps. (new money), in front of repair customers.

You are likely to get as good, or better service from a good independent shop. Just my experience. Trace

Last edited:

wdk450

I bought my 2013 Landmark at a dealer about 30 miles from me and I do not think they have a good Service Department. The local dealer about 7 miles from me told me to bring it to him and he would do the Service work on the Landmark. I think any Heartland Dealer has to work on your RV. Call Customer Service at Heartland.

Fordman1966:
This thread has shown up repeatedly over the years, and enforcement from the manufacturer is pretty loose. Sometimes it seems that the manufacturer is more desireous of close relationships with the dealers than with the owners.

I had the same thing happen to me. My local dealer I purchased from in the Sacramento area went out of business during my warranty period. I later went to the Sacramento dealer who picked up the Heartland line, and was immediately asked if I bought my rig there. When I said no (and was not allowed to explain that my local dealer no longer existed), I was immediately told that the new Heartland dealer would not service it. There are 2 good INDEPENDENT RV servicers within blocks of this new Heartland dealer. I went to one of them.

RollingHome

I used to preach (on this forum) buy your RV local... HL even states this in sales brochures. I do not think this anymore. Buy where the deal is best and take it to a GOOD - REPUTABLE RV service place. The RV service shop close to me does not sell any brand, only used RV's. He has to survive by doing good work. After many problems I found this place. They also found a lot of slip shod and dangerous work had been done on my RV and TV by the "local" dealer. So bad they wanted to report it to ??? Another thing I notice on this forum, quite a few HL owners have resorted to taking their RV back to Elkhart, IA for major and other repairs and up-grades. If so, why does it matter where you buy it. Stay away from the whiner HL dealer, with an attitude like that, they probably won't be in biz when you need then in a few years anyway. Happy RVing :)

Wow thank-you to everyone that responded, there is alot of good information and I am loving this owners forum. Just got home from picking up my unit and am very excited to use it, there was a few things wrong but mostly minor and should be able to get handled with heartland and the dealer i purchased it from. Thanks again and happy trails!!!