Fading paint

danemayer

Re: Fadind paint

Hi Mitch1967,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Looks like you joined a few weeks ago, so you may have already found out that there's a lot of useful information here, along with a lot of friendly people willing to share their knowledge and experience.

You didn't mention what type of rig you have, or how old it is, but assuming it's a Heartland, I'd suggest you call Heartland Customer Service to ask about how to deal with the fading. Have your Vin# ready. 877-262-8032.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders

Not sure if you have a Big Country with the gray caps or perhaps another model but the gray color has fading issues. I doubt many take better care of the exterior than I. Wax it 4 times yearly, re-caulk almost non-stop, etc. etc. I was able to slow the fading process using Rejex but now it is beginning to turn a dull white/gray color. It still shines but it definitely looks aged (much like me). I am thinking thats why they changed to the "Gold" Edition as several owners have fading gray caps. There is nothing that can be done other than perhaps a paint job. Disappointing to spend retirement earnings on something you really think is "the ticket" and then have it not remain "pristine" to look at. The fading is just cosmetic and we understand that. We really do like our Big Country and still think it is "the ticket." It has performed excellent for the most part!

Best Wishes!

Manzan

I use 303 Protectant. No fading at all but bought the NT March 1 of last year. Experienced some extreme oxidation on my Suburban mirrors, back side, and wiped some of the 303 on them. Nice and shiny. Still shiny a year later but did put another coat on while doing the trailer. I don't know if it would work through wax. Only problem with it is that it makes the back end of my trailer too slippery to hold the Owners plaque in place when using the suction cups--no ladder. A nice rain washes the bugs off the front.

I also have a paint fade issue.
It started about 3 months ago and is progressing quickly.
I have been in contact with a Mr. Jamie Justis at Heartland.
I was offered a settlement a week ago, but for some reason things seem to be headed South.
I was told I would be emailed paperwork to file, which I've never received.
I ask for the paint code for the front cap, and I was emailed 4 sheets with all kinds of code numbers, that I have no clue what it all means. I only need one (1) number.
At this time, I don't know what's going on.
I plan to call him again tomorrow.

RCF

Wow, sorry to hear this for you guys. I was looking at the Big Country's in grey, but no dealers close to me had any in stock - glad it didn't work out now.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The problem is it is not paint...it is color infused gelcoat....the only solution, to my knowledge is to have the cap painted and clearcoated, which if kept waxed and protected will not fade.

JJnLilly

With as many units having this problem seems like Heartland should be doing something more than they are. I managed to get three estimates for painting, ranging from $1700 to $3300 and they will pay only about $1000 toward the repair. Have had several folks comment to me about the front cap and am not ashamed to say I just tell them the truth. It was a manufacturing issue that has not been fully addressed.

I talked with Jamie Justis this morning from Heartland and he told me the information was sent by email, after a few problems in sending it to me.
I checked my email this morning and have received my settlement letter today.
They will pay x number of dollars plus the front graphic package.
All I have to do is sign and return it to them.
The paint code sheets that I was sent, which make no sense to me, will, I was told make sense to a paint shop.
Jamie was on top of it all along, just some missed communications I was told.
I have found a company with a big enough building to do the work.
The settlement will cost me a little out of pocket, but not much.
It was a much better settlement than I expected, after hearing other owners on this forum.
I have heard the front cap is Gelcoat and I have also heard it is painted.
It looks like it is painted to me.
I will be at the Michigan Rally in a couple of weeks, and have some other owners look at it, and tell me what they think.
The bottom line in all this is, Heartland, through Jamie Justis has stepped up to make a correction.
I'm happy with the settlement.

Hockster.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
The settlement will cost me a little out of pocket, but not much.
The bottom line in all this is, Heartland, through Jamie Justis has stepped up to make a correction.
I'm happy with the settlement. Hockster.

That's awesome I am glad it worked out for you! Again, Heartland steps up where I believe many would not. Unfortunately for us, an out of pocket expense to fix this flaw is simply not in the cards at this time. Still trying to save to have the bulkhead replaced...water got in there and wrinkled the heck out of it. Doesn't leak anymore but looks tacky! Also need to replace a torn slide wipe, most of the vinyl insert trim and have the axles aligned. An RVers work is never done!

Best Wishes!

Mitch1967

Thanks for all the help I called heartland and they said they would pay to have it painted called dealer said have had to do two other