Fantastic Fan with Rain Sensor

bighorn3370

If my fan is on when it starts to rain, the fan closes and turns off. How does it know when it is done raining and can open again? Thanks! Ernie

jnbhobe

If my fan is on when it starts to rain, the fan closes and turns off. How does it know when it is done raining and can open again? Thanks! Ernie

Kinda makes ya wonder don't it !! There is a little sensor board up there and when it dries off it will restart the Fantastic Fan.

bighorn3370

I was thinking that was how it worked. I would think if it opened up and got wet, it would close. Thanks! Ernie

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Just a little info on that sensor. Make it a point to add it to your roof cleaning schedule. Just a little soap & water to keep the sensor from getting too dirty to detect the moisture when it rains. One of these days it may not close. It's also a good time to clean and put some 303 on the vent cover seal.

RollingHome

I have had my Fantastic fan not come on when the dew point (humidity) is high. I thought my fan was broke. However, at the same time a camping buddy with the same rig as ours also had the exact same scenario. It's only happened 2 or 3 times in 3 years so I guess this is normal. After Rays post, I'm thinking other now... I have NEVER serviced the fan but will now.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I have both fans covered with the Fantastic Fan Covers. Since we don't shut down in the rain, it keeps the elements off of the covers and allows us to travel with the vent running. They are easy to install requiring no drilling like the Maxx Air brand. Click Here

porthole

Retired
Kinda makes ya wonder don't it !! There is a little sensor board up there and when it dries off it will restart the Fantastic Fan.

And sometimes it will open and close multiple times throughout the night - right up until you get up and shut it off :)

Ray LeTourneau

I have both fans covered with the Fantastic Fan Covers. Since we don't shut down in the rain, it keeps the elements off of the covers and allows us to travel with the vent running. They are easy to install requiring no drilling like the Maxx Air brand. Click Here

I put one of those on our W/C fantastic fan last fall. Very nice covers and easy to install. I wish they had a screen though. Fortunately they're easy enough to get off to clean under.

porthole

Retired
Ray, some of the reviews I have seen indicate that the FF cover unfairly does a flow comparison because they do not use a screen while the other brands do. And the cover has the same height limitation.

I have two different covers now, the typical one most have, one of the Max Air versions and debating on what to add for the 3rd vent. Having a tough time putting up a 3rd non matching cover :(

With my "normal cover I actually tried a flow test. Laid the cover on the roof and turned the fan on. The cover lifted off the roof. Then I took the screen and louvers out. The cover still lifted but stayed over the vent. So no screen. That means the vent stays open most of the time and I turn the fan off occasionally. And occasionally I then get some water on the bathroom floor

The Kitchen vent has the MaxxAir cover. That screen is much larger and has larger mesh. With the fan on and unsecured the cover moved around a bit but did not lift off. Screen stayed in.
http://www.maxxair.com/fan-mate.html

Ray LeTourneau

Ray, some of the reviews I have seen indicate that the FF cover unfairly does a flow comparison because they do not use a screen while the other brands do. And the cover has the same height limitation.
l
I totally agree. I figured as long as I clean it out every time I do the roof it'll be OK. The screen on the fan itself will keep the little buggers out.:cool:

Bobby A

Just a little info on that sensor. Make it a point to add it to your roof cleaning schedule. Just a little soap & water to keep the sensor from getting too dirty to detect the moisture when it rains. One of these days it may not close. It's also a good time to clean and put some 303 on the vent cover seal.

I see this is an old thread but it just happened to me. Just yesterday I was up on the roof and cleaned the FF vent cover and cleaned the rubber seal and put sylicone on it but didn't touch the rain sensor. We got a heck of a rain this evening and I was away and the sensor DID NOT shut the fan off so I had water on the floor when I arrived home. I will be going back up there tomorrow with an alcohol swab to clean the sensor. Just in case that doesn't work, what else could it be ??Can sensors go bad ?? isn't there a fuse on the fan ?? could the fuse have blown ?? Just thinking in advance, asking for input. Thanks

jnbhobe

I see this is an old thread but it just happened to me. Just yesterday I was up on the roof and cleaned the FF vent cover and cleaned the rubber seal and put sylicone on it but didn't touch the rain sensor. We got a heck of a rain this evening and I was away and the sensor DID NOT shut the fan off so I had water on the floor when I arrived home. I will be going back up there tomorrow with an alcohol swab to clean the sensor. Just in case that doesn't work, what else could it be ??Can sensors go bad ?? isn't there a fuse on the fan ?? could the fuse have blown ?? Just thinking in advance, asking for input. Thanks

Check the thermostat on the wall, they go bad all the time.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Put a cover over it, Bobby. Then you can run it during a rain and maintain ventilation inside. When we're away from the rig during the summer, I leave it powered up to ventilate the heat out.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If the fuse was bad, the fan would not run. Does it?
The sensor should be cleaned once in a while as well as the contacts in the thermostat.
I had problems with the one in the bathroom. Cleaned everything up and it actually worked better than new.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired

Yes, the sensors go bad. I replaced one of mine about 9 months after installing it, and it is bad again.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I put the MaxxAir Fantastic Fan cover over mine. Kind of makes the whole auto close feature OBE. :)

Bobby A

Thanks guys for the quick reply, I cleaned the sensor today and will take a wet rag and place it on the sensor tomorrow and see if that does the trick. The t-stat seems to work fine and yes it opens and closes when useing the t-stat. If the cleaning doesn't work does that tell me its a bad sensor ??

Thanks very much

Ray LeTourneau

Something else I just remembered. There is a push button switch up there that shuts the fan down when the lid/cover reaches a certain point. There is a black ground wire going to that switch. Make sure it's clean and free from any corrosion and tight. It can cause intermittent problems.