Leaking when it rains

RexCindy

Hi! I am very new at campers and I purchased the camper off a private owner. The only thing that I did not know was that the warranty will not transfer over. We have a 2011 22RBQ and the very first weekend my husband and I went camping; it rained. When I went to bed I had tucked my hand under the top of the mattress to make sure the bedding was tucked under; I felt water. I then lifted the mattress off the platform and yep you guess we had WATER coming in both sides!!!! Not a lot but enough to get the blankets wet. Once we got home, my husband used silicone rubber sealant (50 year durability guarantee) and has worked on the one side but not on the other side. Does anyone know possibly where there could be possible leaks on the entry door side in the bedroom? The water is coming in under the cabinet onto the bed's platform.

It's not a very good start for being first time campers:(. Much help is welcomed, since I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a new camper.

jimtoo

Hi Rex and Cindy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our other members will jump in soon to give some ideas or help with finding the leak.

Enjoy the forum and think about joining the Heartland Owners Club and attending some of the rallies around the country.

Jim M

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Hi Rex and Cindy!

Welcome to the forum and it's always good to see another Rex.

Can you be more specific about the leak? Is it a slide? Where did he silicone? etc.

I'm not familiar with the 22RBQ (sounds like a BBQ sandwich from Arby's :cool:) but I'll go look at a layout. Someone here will help you find the problem.

RexCindy

That's funny BBQ..:D We do not have a slide. Rex has siliconed both sides (outside) of the bedroom starting at the top and going down to the windows in the bedroom.

However, we do have the electric awning. There is a ton of silicone around it, not sure if there could be

The layout is the following:

Walk in the door to the right you will see the bedroom (front of camper) with windows on both sides. In front of you, you will see the kitchen/livingroom and to the back is the bathroom.

mikeandconnie

Hi Cindy. Also, I'm not familiar with the 22RBQ but you may need to check the AC bolts installation and torque. We had the same problem with our new Key Largo. The Bedroom and Main AC was leaking and running down the ceiling split line, then dripping on the bed. A repair tech removed the ac and sealed around the box and all the bolts. This was just a few days ago, so I'm waiting for the next rain to check for leaks again.
Hope this helps

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our daughter has a 32 ft Trail Runner with a similar layout. Sound to me like you could be getting water intrusion between some of the metal siding on the outside. See if you can trace where is is entering maybe by using a water hose on GENTLY starting at the bottom and working your way up. Also lift the be and check the basement to see if the water is getting in there. Upchecked water is very harmful to an RV and can cause the wood to rot in a short time. The aluminum panels on the outside will sometimes loosen allowing water to get in in-between the panels.

RexCindy

Hi! Thanks for the advice. I do not believe it is not a leak from the AC, we have not had it on since we've been home from our last vacation. However, it started leaking this morning during the rain. So, that tells me that it has to be outside somewhere. Are there bolts that are visible on the roof? I have not been up on the roof yet.

MC9

A/C's are not caulked usually. Take off the fascia on the inside and you will find a long bolt in each corner snug them up some. The A/C is clamped on a foam gasket.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Caulking is a maintenance item, Heartland recommends every three months. Unfortunately, it's always in a constant state of deterioration, so you need to keep an eye on it all the time. If the caulk looks thin, cracked or separating, it needs to be redone.

Hope you find your leak! You've got a great trailer there.

Erika

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I think we should just caulk the entire camper...lol

I did just that this summer! Removed the old and sealed with new. FYI I would recommend using a polyurethane based sealant rather than a silicone and Dicor Self-leveling lap sealant on the flat surfaces of the roof. Although some people have success with silicones most RV manufacturers and service centers prefer the urethane sealants.

Best Wishes!

tmcran

I noticed you said there was Ton of caulking around the awning. Perhaps the owners before had traced the leaking from there. Not a clue about floor plan of your rig. But might remove all the old caulking and start from there. Good luck.

RexCindy

Wow, every three months to check on the caulking...will waxing it help protect the silicone? I will let you all know how the silicone caulking works out. I am ready to go out again, without the rain this time...lol

Thank you all for giving your input. There is so much to learn about taking care of a camper.

wdk450

Rex and Cindy:
Welcome to the group. I don't believe that silicone caulk is a recommended sealant for RV roof leaks. I would take a look at the Dicor EDPM RV roofing site for recommended repair products and proceedures. https://dicorproducts.com/resources/for-rv-owners.php

There is a professional test for leaks where your RV is sealed up (vents, AC, range hood) and the interior is air pressurized, then bubble leak detection fluid is applied to the exterior roof and upper sides. I think most Camping World locations can do this. Here is a thread from another forum telling you how to do this yourself with a leaf blower or shop vacuum cleaner: https://rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22631720/srt/pd/pging/1/page/1.cfm

If it is still raining, and wet inside, I would recommend a temporary tarp over the roof until things are fixed.

RexCindy

The leak ended up being on the sides of the camper. It rained really hard this morning and it is dry inside now!! Yea!!!!! I am so happy that it is finally fixed.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
In regards to checking the caulking every 3 months, I'd suggest you do that. I just recaulked most of the roof on my sister's rig, sitting next to me, after taking a look at it. Didn't look like it had been touched this decade (1996 Golden Falcon), dried, lifting and chunks missing on the endcaps. VERY fortunate she hasn't had a leak. The roof membrane ain't looking too healthy, either, but she's talking about trying to sell it. Too bad because the interior is still very nice.

I saw her's was looking bad because I was on my roof checking mine.