ATF: Prowler - Fresh Water Tank will not drain completely

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoelVW

I purchased a new 2012 Prowler 26P BH travel trailer. This is the third travel trailer I have owned. When I got the trailer home, I began to get ready to sanitize the water system. That's when I noticed a very large amount of water trapped in the fresh water tank after I drained it. The bottom of the tank bows down about 3 inches but the fitting for the line to the pump and drain is on the side of the tank. I did some math calculations and estimate 12 to 17 gallons of water is trapped in the bottom of the tank. This water can not be drained, nor can it be picked up by the pump. This poses a real health risk as I cannot completely flush and drain the tank. Also, I am hauling around about 100 to 140 pounds of water that I cannot use.

I talked to the dealer about this and he contacted Heartland RV. He told me that the factory told him that's just the way it is. It's not a defect and there is nothing the factory is going to do about it. So he started looking for a different tank to put in, but could not find one.

I see three options to fix this problem.

1. Put in a new tank that has a fitting at the low point of the tank for the drain and for the pump.
2. Plastic weld a new fitting to the bottom of the tank.
3. Insert a pickup tube into the tank that lays at the bottom of the tank so that the pump can get most of the water.

Since we have had no luck with the first option of replacing the tank, I want to pursue option 2. Can we plastic weld a new fitting on the bottom of the tank? Will that cause any problems? The way the tank is now, I see it as a health hazard. If I had noticed this before I purchased the RV, it would have been a deal breaker.

Thank you.

Joel VW

jimtoo

Hi JoelVW,

First welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge.

For your tank sag, not sure how yours is mounted but, how about putting a couple pieces of angle iron or something under the tank from frame to frame side to support the bottom of the tank. I know this has been done of some of the other units.

Jim M

jnbhobe

I have seen lots of units with a piece of steel bolted to the frame, Including every rig I've ever had. I do always travel with a full tank of water. I would bet the tank is sagged and come out of the alignment groove on the top, I jacked mine back into place and added the steel tube to hold it there.

danemayer

The way the tank is now, I see it as a health hazard.
Can you avoid the health hazard by periodically adding a diluted bleach solution and flushing the tank for a while to get rid of the bleach? Most of us have to do something like this periodically.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Draining the fresh water tank has been an issue on most every RV I've owned. I usually just plan ahead and open the drain valve while traveling.

jbeletti

...I usually just plan ahead and open the drain valve while traveling.

A week ago, I noticed water coming out of my tank vent where it comes through the frame. I started draining the tank but had to hit the road. I figured it would drain fast. About 30 minutes into the trip, I got pulled over by a TN state trooper. First time in 8 years I'd ever been pulled over while towing the RV. I got out and went to the back of the RV where the trooper was. He wanted to make sure it wasn't gasoline I was dripping. I shut the valve. Oops!

bighorn3370

I think all the manufacturers have this problem. When the tanks were mounted above the floor, it was not a issue. They all moved the tanks under the floor so there would be more storage and floor space. Ernie

JoelVW

The problem here is that the tank cannot be completely drained. There is no fitting at the lowest point of the tank. The only way to get all the water out is to punch a hole in the bottom of the tank, or tip the RV completely on its side. So I want to have the dealer plastic weld a fitting on the bottom of the tank. I posted photos here:

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii492/JoelVW/2012%20Prowler%2026P%20BH%20Water%20Tank/?action=view&current=IMG_3385.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1256.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii492%2FJoelVW%2F2012%2520Prowler%252026P%2520BH%2520Water%2520Tank%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DIMG_3406.jpg

JoelVW

So... I thought this was "Ask The Factory". Where is the part when the factory actually answers my question?

jnbhobe

I have a drain in the bottom of my tank and low point drains and a piece of tubing under the tank. I still can't get all the water out without pulling thr rig around with the drain open. But I only drain my tank when I have to do some work in that area.

danemayer

So... I thought this was "Ask The Factory". Where is the part when the factory actually answers my question?

JoelWV,

Several people from Heartland monitor the forum, but they don't see every post, and only respond where they can add value.

If you're looking for a factory answer to your question about whether a new fitting can be welded to the bottom of the tank, I'd suggest calling Heartland Customer Service to discuss the issue. 877-262-8032. Have your Vin# handy. I know the dealer already talked to Heartland, but that's not the same as you talking to Heartland. You might start the discussion with a description of the problem and ask Customer Service how it might be addressed.

Please post to let us know how this progresses.

JoelVW

I was able to get the dealer to add a drain in the pyramid at the bottom of the tank. I wanted to see how much more water would drain out from that drain. I closed the new drain, filled the tank enough to get the water to come out of the factory installed drain. When the water stopped coming out of the factory drain, I opened the new drain. I used a 3 gallon bucket to carefully measure how much water came out. I got 5 buckets out of the tank. That is 15 additional gallons that I could not drain out before! That is ridiculous! There is still some water left in the tank, but at least with a lot of flushing I can get it relatively clean. Here are some picture of the new drain.

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii492/JoelVW/2012 Prowler 26P BH Water Tank/IMG_3614.jpg

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii492/JoelVW/2012 Prowler 26P BH Water Tank/IMG_3763.jpg

Sean

I've recently purchased a new Heartland TT with this same tank. I had planned on doing what JoelVW did but also move the pump inlet water line down to the lower point to access all the water capacity while dry camping.

JoelVW

This is the email thread I had with the factory. Basically I'm a sucker...

I purchased a 2012 Prowler 26P BH this past spring. The VIN number is: 5SFPB2921CE24124.

I have a problem with the fresh water tank. It will not drain completely. The factory installed drain on the side of the tank leaves over 15 gallons in the tank. I know this because I had the dealer install a drain in the pyramid at the bottom of the tank. I measured an additional 15 gallons that would drain from the dealer installed drain after draining the tank with the factory installed drain. Even with the new drain, it leaves a gallon or two of water in the bottom. I am not happy with this at all. It is a problem with sanitizing the tank. Also, I cannot use that water in the tank because the pump cannot reach it. I want a different tank installed in this trailer that has a low point drain and allows the pump to use all the water. I am also concerned about the new drain leaking as time goes on. It might freeze in the winter because the antifreeze is diluted by the water left in the tank.

I am willing to bring the trailer down to the factory to show you the problem and discuss it with you.

I have attached a picture of the drain. I also have attached a link with more pictures.
http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii492/JoelVW/2012%20Prowler%2026P%20BH%20Water%20Tank/

Joel,
The low point drain your dealer installed is the best way to get the results you expect. We do not have any other style tank that drains any different. The few gallons left over after draining does not impose any threat of unsanitary water, all you would have to do is fill and drain a couple times to get the older water out. And we would not recommend putting anti freeze in you fresh water tank. If you only have a few gallons in the tank and it freezes it will not hurt anything. You will want to flush it in the spring a lot to get the anti freeze out. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact me directly.

Thanks,

Greg Legatt
Heartland RV Customer Support
2912 Dexter Dr.
Elkhart, IN 46514
Phone: 877-262-8032
Fax: 574-206-0910
Email: greg.legatt@heartlandrvs.com

Greg,

This tank is unacceptable. This is the third travel trailer I have owned. I have never seen such a thing as this before. Over 15 gallons of water in the tank that cannot be drained. I pressed the dealer to put in this drain. He was reluctant because he was afraid it may leak. I too am afraid it will leak. He could not do a plastic weld because the tank is too thin. When they drilled the hole and saw how much water came out, they could not believe it. He told me that it was then he understood why I was so upset about it. As it stands, I am hauling 15 gallons of water (125 lbs) that is unusable. I want this tank replaced with a proper tank where all the water is usable and the tank can be completely drained.

Joel

Joel,
That is the proper tank. You stated the drain you had them add allowed all but a few gallons. I sorry sir but that is a standard tank that all those units get. I applaud the initiative you took to add the additional drain. We do not offer any different style tank.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg,

This thing has been a hassle. You need to find a different tank for this trailer. Your standard tank is not properly designed. I was forced to do something to get the water out of the tank because it was not safe to use. Over 15 gallons of water left in a tank prevents it from being sanitized. As the sticker says on the side of the trailer, not properly sanitizing the tank can lead to death. Are you prepared to accept that liability?

Joel

Joel,
There is always going to be some fluid left in any tank. That is why we recommend you flush the tank. You stated with the new drain it only leaves a couple gallons. That is acceptable and Heartland will not replace the tank. As far as the sanitation you must flush it periodically.

Thank
Greg

Greg,

What you are telling me is Heartland RV will not stand behind the trailers it makes. I purchased a brand new trailer from the dealer and was told the fresh water tank holds 49 gallons. But now I find out that not all those gallons are available for use. Over 30% of the tank is unusable. So at a basic level this is fraud. The drain the dealer put in was to get the water out so that it would be possible to sanitize it. However, I have concerns that this drain will not become a problem later as it may leak, especially after it goes through the freeze and thaw cycles of Winter. What I really want is a proper tank that has a drain that empties the tank and allows all the capacity of the tank to be used. I understand that a little water says in the tank of a normal RV (less than a gallon), but 15 gallons is not even close to being acceptable. I fully expected Heartland RV to work with me to find an acceptable fresh water tank.

I am very unhappy with your company and will not recommend Hearland RV to anyone. In fact, I feel a moral obligation to tell my story. How that story ends depends on Heartland RV. If it a good story, I will tell a good story. If it is a story of a manufacturer not standing behind its product, that is the story I will tell. I feel it is important for others to know my experience with Heartland RV. So at this time, I do plan to put together a video on YouTube so that people can become aware of the type of support they can expect from Heartland RV. An RV is a major purchase and people should know this before they are stuck with the a problem like this to solve on their own. That way people can make an informed decision. The health of other families is at stake here because the current take you are using posses a health risk.

By the way, I am really surprised by how uncooperative you have been regarding this. My previous trailer was a Keystone which I also purchased new. After owning the trailer 3 years and the being warrantee expired, I found a hidden problem with the wheel wells that caused the tires to rub on the sidewall. I brought it to the attention of Keystone and they corrected to problem for no charge to me at their factory. My good experience with Keystone lead me to believe the whole industry had integrity. Unfortunately, Heartland RV does not rise to the level of honor that Keystone does. You can be assured, if you refuse to correct this, I will never purchase another trailer built by Heartland RV.

Joel

Joel,

The fresh water tank bellying and holding water is not uncommon within the RV industry. At this time there is no alternative tank for your unit. I apologize that you feel this is unacceptable but Heartland would not participate in replacing your tank.

Greg

danemayer

Looks like you've explored this thoroughly with Heartland. I'm closing the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.