Replacement AC filter?

HappyKayakers

Right now, there's a washable foam filter (maybe 1/4 in thick?) in place. During our PDI last year, the RV tech said when it ripped we could just get replacement material at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Well, it's getting close to replacement time and we were in Lowes yesterday. Didn't see any material like this around the AC filters. Saw some 1 in fiberglass filter material, cut to fit, but no foam. Has anyone else had to replace their filter? What did you use and where did you find it?

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
HappyKayakers said:
Right now, there's a washable foam filter (maybe 1/4 in thick?) in place. During our PDI last year, the RV tech said when it ripped we could just get replacement material at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Well, it's getting close to replacement time and we were in Lowes yesterday. Didn't see any material like this around the AC filters. Saw some 1 in fiberglass filter material, cut to fit, but no foam. Has anyone else had to replace their filter? What did you use and where did you find it?
Replaced ours with the same foam material and got it at Lowes or Walmart. Can't remember which.

lefox7

Can I place a pleated high performance home style AC filter over the AC unit to increase the filtering process?

TxCowboy

I know this is an old thread but I just went through this issue.

What you're looking for is the 1/4 inch mesh material that can be cut to fit your specific unit. Lowe's and Home Depot both carry this BUT you might not find it where they normally keep AC filters. Instead, look for it where they sell the window air conditioners.

I bought two packs of this mesh materials (15 inch x 24 inch each) for just over $3 and had enough material to make four new filters. Also, you can soak the dirty filters in hot soapy water (I use Dawn), let them airdry, and they are totally usuable.

I shouldn't have to buy or make more filters for years! :)