Wiring EMS hard wire 50amp.

rick_debbie_gallant

Okay, I got me an EMS after hearing all the stories. I read the instructions, not once or twice but several times.
my question, with the wire so stiff how does one make it bend where it needs to without breaking something?

How do you get both of the round things with the holes in them to fit in the box with the white wire between them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Not sure what you mean by bend??? When I installed it in our 3670 I removed the basement wall, I mounted the box on the framing next to the stairs, located the main wire, cut it at what I thought was the center and lucked out with enough slack so I could make my connections without having to add a junction box. I then ran the remote display wire to the main control panel next to the kitchen. The wire is large and hard to work with, just take you time. The hardest part is being able to contort yourself in that space.

rick_debbie_gallant

Yup basement wall down, replaced all the connections for the tv. Most just pulled out with little effort. I am having trouble getting the little donuts to work with me.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Rick, if you need help with that, the MI rally is just a couple of weeks away.

Peace
Dave

rick_debbie_gallant

Hmmmmmm, good point. I think my freezer will thaw by then. wait I can run an extension cord out there. Thanks.

jnbhobe

Okay, I got me an EMS after hearing all the stories. I read the instructions, not once or twice but several times.
my question, with the wire so stiff how does one make it bend where it needs to without breaking something?

How do you get both of the round things with the holes in them to fit in the box with the white wire between them?

Get a piece of #6- 4wire SJ or SO cable about 5 0r 6 ft long, It will help you make connections and let you have room to work with it. Bring it all to the Mi with you.

rick_debbie_gallant

Get a piece of #6- 4wire SJ or SO cable about 5 0r 6 ft long, It will help you make connections and let you have room to work with it. Bring it all to the Mi with you.

all my local big box had (Menards) was a 6-6-8-8 50 amp pig tail for a range that I was going to use from the ems to the electric panel. The two hots being 6 and the neutral and ground being 8. I am going to run into my local hardware store this morning and get what you suggest unless you thing think the 6-6-8-8 will work. We leave our rig plugged in 24/7 except when going down the road. I could run extension cords for the freezer and the fridge, but I should probably "get er done" before the Hopkins trip. what ya think.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Rick, I'm only about 45 miles away, You want I'll come down and give you a hand. I'll send you a PM with my phone number.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If I were at home, I'd come over and install it for you, but we're up in Indian River until the 20th. Actually, when I did mine, I used the same 6/3 NM w/g that I used to run power from the house main to the attached garage. Stiff, but doable. If you examine the routing for the connections in the box (Progressive unit) and prebend the wires, it's a little easier.

rick_debbie_gallant

Thanks for the offer. I am pretty good with what I tackle, or try and tackle. Cept when I tackled it I was younger and more "spry". Guess I had one too many fires. I have a fellow, Soon to be friend coming from Oklahoma that will give me a hand. Enjoy the weather up there.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks for the offer. I am pretty good with what I tackle, or try and tackle. Cept when I tackled it I was younger and more "spry". Guess I had one too many fires. I have a fellow, Soon to be friend coming from Oklahoma that will give me a hand. Enjoy the weather up there.

Yep, even at my size, working in the basement for prolonged periods is still tight.

brianharrison

I found bending the 6 gauge wire and inserting the ends into the EMS connectors to be quite difficult as well.

I "pre-bent" the wire into a s-shape before threading it through the EMS case opening, fishing the hots through the amp rings and then into the EMS screw downs. I "coaxed" the wires using a screw driver (below and beside) to guide them into the screw downs. Tigthen them down and then tighten the wire clamp on the case opening. I actually did it twice as I messed up the direction on one of the amp rings the first time.

I staggered the amp rings and placed them on the side of the case with the common wire below. I'll see if I can find a picture on my computer at home tonight...

Brian

jnbhobe

You can get the SO or SJ from any good electric supply house. Its fine stranded and very flexible.

RollingHome

Rick, Here is how I installed my surge guard (EMS). It is behind the Cargo bulkhead a foot from the slam door opening. Very little climbing and contorting was done. It is now easy to reach. The current transformers (donuts, rings, loops) are internal so bending 6 gauge wire was not needed. I cut the main supply line (6/2 Romex) to the house electrical panel, purchased 5 feet of 6/2 Romex w/ground, a 4-11/16” square J-box and cover. A couple of ¾ Romex connecters, blue wire nuts and got er done. This EMS unit was manufactured to IEC standards (European Standards). This means it does not have to be in a box AS LONG AS IT IS INSTALLED PROPERLY. Properly means ALL energized parts have to be finger safe. Finger safe means a person cannot touch them easily by just attempting to touch. This means just enough wire insulation is removed to facilitate connection. This prevents most from becoming HVT’s (Human Voltage Testers). This unit does not have a remote indicator panel. The LEDs are on the face. I put a knockout bushing in the bulkhead (next to ladder leg in PIC) to “peek at the LEDs if I have trouble.

After installing it, I tested it by deliberately causing all faults claimed protected to make sure it worked and would work. It is supposed to drop out at 104 volts after 8 seconds, 98 volts 8 seconds did it = not good :L Reversed polarity was a trip… The fault light lit and the timer counted down, then the 50 amp electromechanical contactor pulled in and out and in and out at machine gun speed until it tripped out and started the count down again. The countdown timer is to allow the AC to gas stabilize. This unit will drop out on reverse polarity before/after the EMS unit. This means, faulty wiring inside the RV will also take it off line. I purchased it at Camping World on sale.EMS on plywood.JPGKnock out bush.JPGRemoving Panels.JPG

RCF

I saw a pic somewhere (another website, I'm pretty sure) where someone took 2 18" 50 Amp extension cords and used them to make "quick connects". Basically cut each one in the middle of the wiring and used one each for wiring to the EMS (male end on the input side and female on the output) and wiring into the incoming line (female end on the source side and male on the trailer side). This way, if you have a problem with the EMS, you can just remove it and plug the incoming wiring together. Also, you could remove it from the trailer to connect directly to the campground outlet to check it. Anyway, seemed like a neat idea to me so I ordered two of the extensions when I order the EMS so I could install it in this manner.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Hers how I wired my EMS into our 3185 BH. Removed the circuit panel pulled it into the unit. THis gives you the ability to work on the floor in the open space of your unit. Made a jumpers to go from circuit panel input lugs to EMS output lugs with the recommended wire size. Mounted EMS to framing via access thro basement. First I put the EMS on a small piece of plywood and then mounted the plywood with EMS unit attached with two sheetrock screws into wooden framing. Hardest part of all is making your way into the basement and the spot you would like to mount it. I chose as close to ac circuit panel as possible. The slide whites back and panel back into opening and secure.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Enjoyed the afternoon Rick and it was great meeting you. See you on the 23rd at Hopkins.

rick_debbie_gallant

Rex, likewise. I can't thank you enough for your help. In fact I should have taken you out for dinner tonight. I just did not realize how late it was. We will find a place when we get together at the next rally. Looking forward to meeting Stacey. Going to take your advice and hook up a 30 amp service with that Heavy cable. Thanks again brother. Stay in touch.