propane tank leaks

rick3171

I have a cyclone 3010 with 2 propane tanks i have a leak in the 2nd tank the propane leaks out even when i unhook the line from the tank should it leak out even if i have it turned to that tank or should there be a safety shut off and even if it's hooked up smell it . thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your tank should never leak.
Have you identified where the leak is?
You don't state what model year your Cyclone is, but if it's newer it may be a warranty fix.

Peace
Dave

Manzan

Rick, punctuation would make your post much easier to read! Squirt soapy water on all rusty spots and welded areas and look for bubbles if there is any propane left in the tank. Unlikely that the tank itself would leak.

1231ChaseB

I thought i had a leaky tank but it turned out to be the pressure regulator ! It was a small leak and it took a while for the bubble's to show up from the soapy water !
chaseb

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Make sure the bleeder valve is closed all the way. Uses a smaller Flat tipped screw driver.

rick3171

Rick, punctuation would make your post much easier to read! Squirt soapy water on all rusty spots and welded areas and look for bubbles if there is any propane left in the tank. Unlikely that the tank itself would leak.

Sorry, the model is 3010 cyclone 2010, leaks out of the line hook up line to tank. i unhooked it a propane started leaking out. the screw on cap isnt fixed to line, it slides down on the line. i would think there's would be a safety gauge for propane not leaking out. if problem ,

danemayer

Rick, normally when you want to disconnect a tank (usually to refill), you have to do a couple of things:

1. Turn the auto-changeover valve so that it points to the full tank. You may have to look at the hoses to see which one connects to the full tank.
  2. Go to the empty tank and close the valve on the top of the tank.
  3. Disconnect the pigtail that connects the empty tank to the LP system.

If there's a little pressure in the line, a small amount of gas will be released (from the pigtail) when you disconnect. It should stop in a second or two. If gas is coming out fast, and doesn't stop, you may have the changeover selector pointed the wrong way. If gas is leaking slowly, and doesn't stop, you may have a problem with the changeover valve.

There should be no leakage from the tank. If the tank leaks when the valve on the top is closed, it needs to be fixed or replaced.