Hot Water Heater overheats and breakers tripping

amj9653

We just purchased a 2013 32BUDS and used it this pass weekend. After turning the AC unit on and the hot water heater on electric the breaker tripped at the shore power box. After a while I tried again and it did the same. I switched to propane and the water overheated and began leaking out of the side of the camper. My old Salem had a manual temp adj, but I shut the unit off and opened the cover and could find an adjustment.
The next day I tried the electric again and tripped the breaker.
Anyone else had this problem?

danemayer

Re: Hot Water Heater overheats and breakers trippin

Hi amj9653,

Sorry you're having these problems.

I assume you're plugged into a 30 amp pedestal. The AC unit is pulling around 15 amps and your power converter is probably using a couple of amps in the background. I'm not sure how much the water heater draws on electric, but you're close to the edge. If the campground power is stretched thin because everyone's got AC running, it's not surprising you'd pop the pedestal breaker.

On the water heater leaking - I'm guessing the water was coming out of the water heater pressure relief valve and running down the outside of the unit where the access panel is located. It may not be overheating, but might be overpressure.

Carefully follow these steps - hot water can burn - be careful

1. Turn off the water heater, electric and propane, and let it cool for a few hours (so you don't get burned).
  2. Turn off water sources (city water hookup, or internal pump)
  3. Open a hot water faucet in the RV.
  4. Pull or open the handle on the Pressure & Temperature relief valve straight out and allow the water to flow until it stops.
  5. Allow the P&T relief valve to snap shut, close the hot water faucet, and turn on the water supply. Heat the water to check for proper operation of the P&T relief valve.

If the valve continues to leak, the P&T relief valve is defective.

ZNK

AMJ,

We have a 29 BUDS. We also have had our hot water heater overrun twice now. The first time it was very hot out...the water poured out of the side of rig. Today it did it again but no where near the same amount. We are having some warranty work done so I am just going to have them check the water heater as well, I want to ensure it okay. I know it is a safety mechanism, just curious as to why it has over heated twice now.

Rickhansen

Hi amj9653,
I'm not sure how much the water heater draws on electric, but you're close to the edge.

A 1400 watt hot water tank heating element will draw just under 13 amps. There's also the always present caution, make sure your tank is full of water before turning the electric on.

BorgX

I had this happen as well. I found a problem though. Mine would trip and I felt the breaker box in the camper and it was between warm and hot... I decided to check it out. I found several loose wires that were never tightened at the factory. I tightened them down and now I have no issues and no hot breakers. :) I also found a wire junction above my stove vent that wasn't properly joined and had to solder the connection. My main cabin lights would randomly go off and my outside light stopped working. Whoever did the electrical work on my rig was having a bad day.

GaryWT

At most campgrounds we have been at we are good running AC and water heater but at a couple, the breaker popped so we went on propane for the water and all was good, it is just the campground power. Never noticed it overflowing but if it did, i would just say the valve is doing it's job.

ZNK

The repair shop ended up replacing our pressure relief valve. They said that was what was causing the issues.

Harrita

Sure can find a lot of useful info and tips on this site, such as Dan Mayer post above. I keep cutting, pasting and printing these tips and filing with my RV info, Thanks.

ZNK

Sure can find a lot of useful info and tips on this site, such as Dan Mayer post above. I keep cutting, pasting and printing these tips and filing with my RV info, Thanks.

Its Dane...I do believe. :) But yes he is very helpful. Helped me fix my radio reception!

jbeletti

It's actually Dan E. Mayer. He's one of our moderators here. Some think moderators are only here to enforce the rules and keep the peace. And it is alot about that. Fortunately, not a lot of that needs to be done in this community. How we handle ourselves and each other on this forum is what really sets it apart from other RV forums. Come here to share, rant once if you need to, seek help, help others.

Dan and the rest of the moderators have a wealth of experience and knowledge and since they're on the forum alot, doing their mod functions, they also try to help as many owners as they can with issues they may be having.

If you get a chance to meet a forum moderator, a forum admin or the club manager at a rally or show, please thank them for helping keep this forum such a great place to hang out at, share with and learn from.

Thank you also to nearly 18,000 members. You provide most of the content here.

Jim
Admin