Cable hook up?????

imchud

Okay, kind of a dumb question.... I have had my bighorn for 3 years now and had never had to hook up the cable, we dont have cable at our permanent site. We have always just had always used the antenea. in a few weeks we are going to a pretty fancy C/G that offers cable hook up. So I was looking in the UDS and they are two connections for Antenea input and two hook ups for Satellite input.... I have no idea what go where??/also do you need to have the TV set on a any special setting?? Thanks

Tom

danemayer

Hi Tom,

If you have 4 coax connectors in a row, they are all probably for satellite. 2 are from the rooftop pre-wiring for a satellite dish. If you had that, you'd jumper those 2 connectors to the matching living room and bedroom connectors.

The cable connection will likely be a separate coax connector, maybe next to a phone connector in the UDC.

After connecting the cable, you'll have to go inside to the signal booster (probably near the bedroom TV) and turn it off. When watching over the air TV from the antenna, it has to be on. For cable it must be off.

The TV menu setting has to be changed from AIR to CABLE. Sometimes that's all you need to do. But sometimes you have to also do a channel scan just like you do to watch over the air TV.

That should do it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Are the hoolups in the UDC marked?
You should have one marked 'Cable'.
Be sure to turn off the antenna booster in the bedroom.
Your TV will have to be set to 'Cable' input by going through the menu.

Peace
Dave

imchud

Thanks Guys... I will be back at the camper this saturday and I will check it out.

SeldomSeen

Good luck Tom, I'm going thru the same type of problems with my unit. I finally hooked my dish coax directly to my receiver and found I had a signal then. Now I'm trying to fish a new coax cable thru my trailer, that should be lots of fun. Let us know how you come out!

jtwhites85

We have had cable hooked up for just over a year and everything was OK. Then the feed cable was mistakenly cut by the service tech and had to be repaired. Retuned the TV and got the 60 channels back. Then 2 weeks ago went to the RV and found we were down to 20 channels. Thought the park owner had changed to basic service and was disappointed so I said something to the manager. She said there was no change that she knew of and had the owner call the cable tech out again. This time I happened to be there when he came and he started diagnosing the signal. At the point of connection in the UDC he had a complete signal and showed me that there should be about 120 channels available (40+ music) to the TV. Reconnected the cable at the UDC and went inside only to find 20 channels. Disconnected the cable at the TV and he said it was a wonder that I was getting any signal at all. Tech claims that this specific cable provider has repeatedly found bad splitters in RVs and that they often have to wire directly to the TV through a window or slide if the splitter can’t be found. This really does not pass the “sniff” test with me but I will try to find the splitter in the 5er and replace it. Really appreciate that there are simple layouts of the cable connections in the owner’s manual section on here.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Darn, you would think Heartland would have installed high quality splitters
Dont know about the splitter quality, but this is the first 'bad splitter' that I have heard of.
I would lean more toward a bad coax connector.
Seems a little suspect that every thing was good till the service tech repaired the severed coax.
The antenna amplifier was turned off, right.

Peace
Dave

Miller0758

We have had cable hooked up for just over a year and everything was OK. Then the feed cable was mistakenly cut by the service tech and had to be repaired. Retuned the TV and got the 60 channels back. Then 2 weeks ago went to the RV and found we were down to 20 channels. Thought the park owner had changed to basic service and was disappointed so I said something to the manager. She said there was no change that she knew of and had the owner call the cable tech out again. This time I happened to be there when he came and he started diagnosing the signal. At the point of connection in the UDC he had a complete signal and showed me that there should be about 120 channels available (40+ music) to the TV. Reconnected the cable at the UDC and went inside only to find 20 channels. Disconnected the cable at the TV and he said it was a wonder that I was getting any signal at all. Tech claims that this specific cable provider has repeatedly found bad splitters in RVs and that they often have to wire directly to the TV through a window or slide if the splitter can’t be found. This really does not pass the “sniff” test with me but I will try to find the splitter in the 5er and replace it. Really appreciate that there are simple layouts of the cable connections in the owner’s manual section on here.

Had a similar issue and found the splitter beneath the steps leading up to the master bedroom. It wasn't the splitter however, it was bad connections at the splitter. Hard to imagine a bad splitter but I'm sure it's possible.

danemayer

We have had cable hooked up for just over a year and everything was OK. Then the feed cable was mistakenly cut by the service tech and had to be repaired.

I think from your post that you already know what's wrong, and it's probably not the splitter. The problem started after the service tech repaired the cut he made. If you weigh the probability of the tech making a lousy repair, vs. the probability of a defective splitter, it's no contest.