ATF: MPG - tires

1-bad-57

I have about 3,000 miles on my 184 mpg and noticed that the driver side tire
is wearing on the inside part of the tread. Looking at the manual it says that the camber may be off. Can I make this adjustment or does it need to go to the dealer?? Looking at the tires they seem to be tipping inward at the top. I don't have the trailer overloaded and tires are inflated correctly.
Thanks,
Joe

danemayer

Hi Joe,

Sorry to say, but this is probably one of those areas where if you have to ask, the answer is no. You probably need to go to a truck/trailer shop that does alignments. If you're still in warranty, you might want to call Heartland Customer Service first. 877-262-8032. Have your vin # handy.

GOTTOYS

There is nothing you can adjust. If you are under warranty bring it to an RV dealer and they will check it and probably replace the axle. If it's out of warranty bring it to a large truck/trailer alignment shop..they will bend it back into alignment for somewhere around $150.00. Don't worry about the bending part..they do this all day long on big trailers and big trucks with straight axle front ends...Don

Last edited:

Tumblebug

I looked at the tires of my MPG 183 like about a month ago and also found the drivers side tire worn on the in side. My thoughts were trailer over loaded. Scaled the trailer loaded and it it scaled out at 3580 lbs, now a 3500 lb axle has more than it should carry. One the side(driver's) that was wore is, the slide out with all the kitchen, water heater, and fresh water tank(36 gallons). I came to the conclusion that it was a weight distribution problem. Now I carry very little or no fresh water and keep refrig as light as possible, have not resorted to draining water heater yet. A new set of 8 ply tires, just run over 2,000 miles and no sign of excessive wear. I would check my weights before anything else. Besides it only cost $8.00 at a certified scale. Following with interest.

Flapwing

We have a 181 and have noticed noticeable wear on the inside edge of BOTH tires. The tires are also splayed out at the bottom when viewed from the rear. Went to the reputable axle shop and was advised that I need a new axle... $500 installed and it cannot be bent back.... Any ideas? Has anyone gotten a replacement axle from Heartland?

danemayer

We have a 181 and have noticed noticeable wear on the inside edge of BOTH tires. The tires are also splayed out at the bottom when viewed from the rear. Went to the reputable axle shop and was advised that I need a new axle... $500 installed and it cannot be bent back.... Any ideas? Has anyone gotten a replacement axle from Heartland?

You didn't mention how old your unit is, or whether the axle shop offered any opinions on what had happened to the axle.

The people at Heartland who monitor the forum don't necessarily see every post. You might do better to call Heartland Customer Service. 877-262-8032. Have your Vin# ready.

bigmaho

I looked at the tires of my MPG 183 like about a month ago and also found the drivers side tire worn on the in side. My thoughts were trailer over loaded. Scaled the trailer loaded and it it scaled out at 3580 lbs, now a 3500 lb axle has more than it should carry. One the side(driver's) that was wore is, the slide out with all the kitchen, water heater, and fresh water tank(36 gallons). I came to the conclusion that it was a weight distribution problem. Now I carry very little or no fresh water and keep refrig as light as possible, have not resorted to draining water heater yet. A new set of 8 ply tires, just run over 2,000 miles and no sign of excessive wear. I would check my weights before anything else. Besides it only cost $8.00 at a certified scale. Following with interest.

Was 3580 the axle weight or the entire trailer (2 wheels and hitch)?

Manzan

I had both axles on my 21 FBS replaced under warranty. Dealer had to jump through a couple of hoops but got the job done. Lippert also gave me some money toward five new tires. Had to pull with the spare one about 1200 miles to get home after I discovered the damage. I had weighed the trailer before the trip and was not overloaded and had not hit any curbs.

Tumblebug

No just the axle weight. I think I was over loading the trailer, carring to much fresh water in the tank. along with other stuff in the rear compartments. I also believe that the equalizer hitch transferred some of the hitch weight to the trailer axle, adding more weight to the axle. The load on the trailer axle was the main concern.

Flapwing

You didn't mention how old your unit is, or whether the axle shop offered any opinions on what had happened to the axle.

The people at Heartland who monitor the forum don't necessarily see every post. You might do better to call Heartland Customer Service. 877-262-8032. Have your Vin# ready.

1 year old... No overloading, no pot holes, curb contact, etc. When we first bought the unit and were coming back home to BC from Texas (dealer) we had a right tire tread failure. Les Shwab said it was a lining separation but it was inside wear as well. I will call Heartland and see what they say.

Tumblebug

Just a passing thought, during shipment, did the haulers boom the traile down by the bumper or frame? A boomer with a cheater bar can bend a lot of things. I son't know how the trailers are transported to the dealers.

I had a passenger tire blow also, but thought it was junk on the highway. My tires had maybe 5,000 miles on them. The tire was toast so cause of failure was impossible.
That's what started my process of getting the trailer weighed.

Flapwing

Called Heartland regarding the possible bent axle... was referred to Lieppert Components (866-524-7821) the frame / axle supplier. By the way... the MPG is no longer in production... not enough sales.

Flapwing

Called Heartland regarding the possible bent axle... was referred to Lieppert Components (866-524-7821) the frame / axle supplier. By the way... the MPG is no longer in production... not enough sales.

Sent in photos of the tires / axle as requested and Lieppert is sending me a new axle.... woohooo! Excellent customer service... rare these days!

1-bad-57

Pulled the trailer 210 miles round trip to get the axle replaced only to find out lippert sent the wrong axle!! So, so far 420 miles still not fixed another 210 miles when they send the next axle. They are offering a $130 dollar credit for the tires that the defective axle wrecked within the first 3,000 miles we put on the new trailer. The credit will cover about one tire. Yes I'm starting to get upset. Here is the totals for buying a new mpg with a bad axle put in it. I have to pay for one of the tires $130. 3 days off of work one to find out why the tires are shot already 2 to have them send a axle that won't fit my travel trailer 3 take the trailer down again and hope that it is finally fixed. Any help out there??
Joe

bigmaho

I might be in the same boat. The drivers side tire on my 181 looked like it was bowing a bit. Took a closer look and it was badly worn on the inside tread. Called Heartland and they said it was probably a bad axle. The strongly recommended a dealership that's 277 miles from my home for warranty service. There's another one half that distance but the Heartland guy was hinting that some dealers are not as good if you didn't purchase from them. Checking for alternatives, but it looks like I might have 1000 miles of driving ahead of me (2 round trips). If anyone knows a good shop within 100 miles of Mt Kisco, NY, let me know!

1-bad-57

There is nothing you can adjust. If you are under warranty bring it to an RV dealer and they will check it and probably replace the axle. If it's out of warranty bring it to a large truck/trailer alignment shop..they will bend it back into alignment for somewhere around $150.00. Don't worry about the bending part..they do this all day long on big trailers and big trucks with straight axle front ends...Don

The shop I took mine to said they would never bend one back to being staight. They would have to heat it and the lippert axles have rubber inside them and that it would melt it.
Joe

1-bad-57

Sounds like the same problem. Don't let them heat and bend the axle as there is rubber in it that can be ruined. I finally have mine back on the road and waiting for the new tires to show up that I had to order and pay for partialy? was this my fault??.That was another $100.00 plus out of pocket because of the bent axle that no one would take responsibility for. Also a extra trip of 240 miles because Lippert sent the wrong axle. I talk with warranty from Heartland and he told me that they no longer use Lippert axles??? because of the problems they have had with them. No help from Heartland either as they wouldn't call Lippert to pressure them on the extra trip or the tires. I'm not impressed as I'm sure you can tell.
Joe

plumber54

Going to pick up my 183 to nite. dealer fixed the axle's and there was no charge. There is a problem with the lippert parts installed and they are making good on there warranty. Just in time to put it up for the winter.