How much they are a part of the family

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Tonight, my wife, daughter and I were on the way home, when a dog darted out in the middle of the road. We missed it by a few feet, but the car behind us was not so lucky. It was complete silence in the car, everyone new what had happened. Madison was close to tears. We never had seen this dog before and it was still so heartbreaking. When we went into the house and Lexi (our pup) come running out and jumped up and started licking us, we all were almost in tears. It has only been 5 months since we got her and she has become such a part of the family. From the 6:00 walks in the morning, to the hogging of half the bed. I can't imagine our family with out her.

Just thought I would share.
Jamie

Our family member
2wfmf55.jpg

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
That's horrible. I can't imagine losing Tucker like that. I already let him know he can't leave for at least another 10 years (he's 8 now). Thanks for sharing

Attachments

• Image034.jpg
    Image034.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 49

Gracie4Camping

They make you smile, laugh, and comfort you. I could not be without our little girl either! I feel sad for the family who has lost their dog.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The sad thing is so many of them are just thrown away, and left to their own devices....every time I see a dog running loose I have to wonder if they even have a loving home to go to...:(

The little one, Tiffy is our rescue...she is the most loving little girl I've ever had. Her big sister, Katie has never known a hard day in her life, she's been with us since she was ten weeks old...and she's now seven. I wish everyone who decides they want a dog, realizes the commitment they are accepting and plans to honor it...then there would be a lot less of what happened to you occuring...JMHO!!

Sorry you had to witness such a senseless tragedy....

Attachments

• 100_0044.jpg
    100_0044.jpg
    774.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_0031.jpg
    100_0031.jpg
    536.2 KB · Views: 40

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A very sad story indeed. We have had Callie (the moose) for 2 years now. She was a rescue pup and has never wanted for anything. Is she spoiled.....NAAAAAAAAAAAA. In fact she gets treated better that the grandkids (shes not as noisy). She has gone from a 7# puppy to a 100# moose. The vet said she would be 18" high and about 40#. WRONG....OH....SO WRONG.

JonV

That's so sad. I was a little resistant before we got him but now I can't imagine NOT having our Monty trying to crowd me out of bed or just give me warm feelings.

Friends are going through the agony of having to decide the fate or their 14 yr old chocolate lab that's suffering a lot of pain right now.

Here's a picture of our Monty. (he's got attitude :D)IMG-20110203-00050.jpgIMG-20120422-00001.jpg

CliffP

424313_4465143229367_1705688996_n.jpg
So sad! Couldn't imagine losing Gracie. Still miss the boys (Tucker and Trooper) daily.

ThomasG

Thanks for sharing this heartbreaking story. Our 3 Australian Sheperds Sandy, Fin and Snooker are part of the family now for 7-8years and where we go, they go too. We can't imagine a life without them. DSC_0076.jpg
I had a similar encounter a few years back and i will never forget this dog even though i've never seen him before. Thinking of him still makes me cry.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Cats, dogs, even birds, once you've bonded, they're your "fur-kids" for life (or maybe "feather-kids"). Due to logistics, we had to leave ours at home with a caregiver this trip, and they are missed.

View attachment 20748

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Our fur kids have it pretty rough too. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 100_0515.JPG
    100_0515.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 100_0541.JPG
    100_0541.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 25

CTD2005

Very sad story! So sorry your family had to witness that! We have 3 pugs and Love every one of them. Our oldest is Otis-11 years old; we got him from a friend who was having trouble with him. Buzz-9 years old we got from a pug rescue in Tampa, Florida, and the youngster Molly-4 1/2 we got her from a pug rescue in Fort Worth, Texas. They are a very important part of our life. Otis is daddy's little man and he knows just how to relax me when I have had a hard stressful day, he calms me right down. It is so amazing; they are always so full of Love and affection!
P1010919b.jpg

jpdoggett

It is to bad when they get hurt or killed and I don't know what we would do without our two Tux and Shadow
0010.JPG

0015.jpg

porthole

Retired
She turned 15 in July. Hangin in there pretty good. The RV steps may be a challenge when we get back down south. Fingers crossed though...

That is awesome Ray. Have you tried a ramp yet? We got one for our old girl last year, took some getting used to but she ended up having a much better time with it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
That is awesome Ray. Have you tried a ramp yet? We got one for our old girl last year, took some getting used to but she ended up having a much better time with it.
We have, but not on our trailer. When we visit our Son, we stay in his TT. A 26ft and the door is a bit lower than the Bighorns. I built a 60" ramp and it worked OK. I may have to try to design something when we get south. But yes, she's OK with the ramp. Problem is, when she hits the bottom, she's moving too fast and stumbles a bit. Might be better leashed.

scottyb

Tonight, my wife, daughter and I were on the way home, when a dog darted out in the middle of the road. We missed it by a few feet, but the car behind us was not so lucky. It was complete silence in the car, everyone new what had happened. Madison was close to tears. We never had seen this dog before and it was still so heartbreaking. When we went into the house and Lexi (our pup) come running out and jumped up and started licking us, we all were almost in tears. It has only been 5 months since we got her and she has become such a part of the family. From the 6:00 walks in the morning, to the hogging of half the bed. I can't imagine our family with out her.

Just thought I would share.
Jamie

Our family member
2wfmf55.jpg

Is Lexi an English Pointer or a Dalmation? In the photo she looks like our Annie Oakley, now 11 years old, except Annie has peach spots instead of liver colored. We also have two airedale terriers, Rooster Cogburn(7) and Dagny Taggert (7 mo). I am proud to say that about 50% of our decision to buy the Cyclone was due to our "furkids". We have travelled without them by air a lot the last 10 - 15 years and we decided it was time to include them as much as possible.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Is Lexi an English Pointer or a Dalmation? In the photo she looks like our Annie Oakley, now 11 years old, except Annie has peach spots instead of liver colored. We also have two airedale terriers, Rooster Cogburn(7) and Dagny Taggert (7 mo). I am proud to say that about 50% of our decision to buy the Cyclone was due to our "furkids". We have travelled without them by air a lot the last 10 - 15 years and we decided it was time to include them as much as possible.

Lexi is mostly English Setter with a little Border Collie mixed in.

The spot on her face was what sucked us in
21kj9t1.jpg

The rest of her spots came in between 12-16 weeks
nqe8ag.jpg