Window shattered

k-f-Indiana

Has anyone had one of their RV windows shatter? Our door-side big window popped and shattered while parked. What a noise and what a mess! We're trying to figure out what would cause this. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

CactusTwo

Yes lawn mowing, little boys with sling shots, a rock flying off a tire as it passes. Rarely because of no reason, but the tricky part is getting it replaced. Call your local glass shop to check it out, or remove the rubber glass stop from the outside and save it, then measure the size of the glass from the edge of the broken remains that are stuck to the frame and use a piece of cardboard to trace the curve of the corner and bring that an a small handfull sampling of the glass remains to a glass shop to determine the thickness and color and type of glass. Your local RV repair shop will do the same thing anyway or they will order a whole new frame which could take until next year.......no more RVing this year, so take the bull by the ears and try it yourself. Cardboard will work for a weekend outing still in THIS season!
Len, journeyman glazier ( glass guy)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
No, no one around when it happened.
That's exactly what I told my mom when the garage window mysteriously shattered.
teu26.gif

Peace
Dave

Tombstonejim

Yes it is quite common here in the southwest. The window gets very hot in the sun and expands and then it just shatters from the stress. I lost two in my Flair and have lost several in various cars.

I suspect the country wide heat wave is causing it to happen in places where it does not normally happen. There is nothing you can do except try to keep them out of the direct sun light. It is the nature of tempered glass.

rarnold

Fuzz & Karen, this is a good excuse to get one of those attractive stained-glass door windows like the ones available at the Gillette rally this summer.
Good luck with your issue.

Rod

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
A good temporary fix is to go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a piece of plexiglass, cut it to size and put it in the window frame. I did that on an SOB and it lasted for quite some time until I could get a replacement glass.

k-f-Indiana

Thanks for all the tips and advice. You answered our questions. We did get a piece of plexiglass and install it. We have since traveled to another stop with it, and it works fine. We plan to have a glass company install new glass when we get home.

Rod, I like your suggestions about the stained glass door window. I don't care for the one that is in there. I like to be able to see out, but would like to be able to cover it when the sun is shining directly on it. However, this was not the door window. It was the big window in the slide. So, no new door window for now But I'll keep that in mind. Hope to go to Wyoming someday, but probably not this year.

Len, thanks for your expertise on glass installation. Sounds better than ordering a whole new window from the factory, which we considered.