Just Looking and Need Help !

Hi Everyone

I just got back from Gaint RV to look at the CY 3800. I have been looking at it on the internet and wanted to see it in person. I have a few question that maybe some of you owners can help me with.

1. The kitchen area is very tight. My wife and I are pretty fit people and we both felt there was not enough room between the counter and refrig and stove. She told me that was a deal breaker. I just want to know what you owners say about it. Do you get used to it?

2. Lack of storage in kitchen.

3.It would be nice to have the bed upstairs facing front to rear instead of side to side. There is no room to walk around in there. And no night stands as in other models.

4. Is the garage area exactly 12 ft or is it a few inches shorter? Thats my deal breaker. I need exactly 12ft.

We both love the floorplan, but it does seem very tight for that big of trailer. The 2nd bathroom is a must for us. This floorplan is the only one from Heartland that we really loved. We have a 37 ft fifth wheel toyhauler now and would like to upgrade. Any comments would be great. Thanks.:cool:

danemayer

Hi Waytoogood,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a lot of useful information here and a great bunch of people who are willing to share their knowledge and experience. I'm sure you'll start getting responses pretty quickly on the questions you've raised.

Bksvo

Everything is a compromise...:)

We actually like the layout quite a bit. The kitchen is definitely only wide enough for one person at a time, but it hasn't been an issue. I like all the counter space available. You'd actually be surprised how much stuff you can get in the cabinets and drawers. I thought it might be tight, but again, it's never turned out to be an issue for us (and my family of five lives in the trailer 6-8 weeks every summer). One big compromise of the kitchen slideout is you can't open the fridge or tall storage cabinet with the slide closed. I'm likely going to modify the slide system and add valves so I can open one slide at a time, instead of all of them at once.

I'm not near the trailer to measure it today, so I can't tell you about the garage. I agree about the bed, but the tradeoff is there is oodles of storage space in the huge closet.

We originally went in thinking we would be buying a 3950, but loved everything the 3800 had to offer more. Sometimes I long for the seperate twin beds when my kids are fussing, but the huge living area of the 3800 gets used much more, and the large sliding glass door makes the garage feel like more of a living area, which it is for us.

Thanks Bksvo

That's good info ! I didn't know about the slide thing. How are you going to make only 1 slide at a time work?
I hope to get more info, because I want to get a new trailer soon.

Bksvo

I believe the parts are available from Lippert. I think the Bighorns and Landmarks are made that way at the factory. Somewhere on the forum here I've seen it done before.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Remember...you can find video tours by different dealers on Youtube to help refresh the memory of what you saw.

srgt30

Just measured the garage, 11'7" on my 3800. As far as the kitchen space my wife and a friend were both there making dinner last weekend. Although they both were not between the counter/fridge they said they had plenty of counter space when they were able to work on opposite sides. Also that floor plan is perfect for rainy days, 6 adults were comfortable in the living room talking for 2 hours. As far as the bedroom my wife and I make it work by opening a closet door. She exits that way and I go out the bathroom door. Little compromises that work for a great floor plan, at least for us. Good luck

Thanks all for the info !!;)
I wonder if you can order from the factory the garage area to be 12 ft exactly. Maybe they can move the inside wall/sliding door in a few inches?