Fuel station does not want to take fuel.

cms

Hey guys, I picked up my 4100 last night. I knew the fuel gauge did not work unless I'm doing something wrong. I stopped and tried to fill up the fuel station. It took me literally 15 minutes to put in 14 gallons. I got tired of it spitting fuel out every 10 seconds. Any thoughts?

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I'll state the obvious...the vent isn't working. To correct it will likely require some time on your back under the rig or a trip back to the dealer.
The gauge wasn't registering after adding 14 gallons? I would start by looking for a tube and wire being pinched between tank and frame (disconnected plug from sending unit and closed off the vent).
I've not had this experience but that's where I'd start.
Let us know what you find!

oscar

Gauge is working, but I second the spitting. Have to let it "burp" every 15 seconds or so. Filler gun diameter and hole in filler cap fitting are very close. So, if there IS a vent under, it's not working. If it's designed to vent (in and out) through the cap, I need to think of something.

Ironically, that's how cars used to work until the EPA decided that the 12 gas molecules escaping into the atmosphere were a threat to civilization and they mandated an air tight filler cap (leave it off and see how fast you get a check engine light) and a complex system of vent hoses, and feeds back to the engine.

Apparently they don't know about our fuel tanks......SHHHHH!

CrazyCooter

There isn't enough drop between the filler and the tank on my rig. My vent is blocked by the transfer pump from the front tank, but it was an issue before I did that. Driving the left tires up on 4" tall blocks allows running the pump nozzle wide open and getting 90% of the tank's capacity in.

There is a charcoal canister on the front "generator" tank if you opted for it and neither cap are vented. The 30 gal tank had a 3/8" vent hose dangling down underneath where water and dirt could easily find their way in.