Diesel in fuel station?

ILH

I was going to post this question in the 'plumbing section' (all things fluid) - but there wasn't a suitable sub forum for it.

Is there any reason that diesel fuel can't be stored in the fuel stations on Road Warrios and Cyclones? I've done a bit of searching but can't find this answer. Aside from the labels that say 'unleaded fuel only' - what's the difference?

Urban350

I would be worried about the water that will easily collect in the tank along the possible groth of backeria if not treated properly.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I would be worried about the water that will easily collect in the tank along the possible groth of backeria if not treated properly.

I guess it's an interesting question though. What if it were properly treated and filtered and not for long term storage? Aren't the fuel tanks ABS?

ILH

I don't have a built-in generator (wish I had gone for the factory option).

The reason I ask about the fuel station handling dieasel is - I was recently in an area with very few diesel stations and I was running low in my truck. Yes, I have friends with reserve tanks in their trucks... but I have a fuel station that still has a bow on it from the day it was delivered. I was just musing the possibilities.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Now this is just an opinion, not an educated comment.:rolleyes: As long as you commit to using up the diesel fuel that was in the RV tank, I don't see that it would be a problem for you. I wonder though, if there were any fuel remaining in the tank what it might do at a later point. Maybe to the next owner? Does the pick up leave any fuel laying in the bottom of the tank?
Like you, I have no extra tank on my truck. I can't financially justify the expense or the extra weight and loss of bed space. What I did was buy two 5 gallon yellow diesel fuel containers. I fill them before leaving on a long trip and carry them secured in the back of the truck. At the end of the trip, I empty them into the truck. Now when I say trip, I'm thinking WI to FL or TX. Not your average weekend camping trip.

Rodbuster

I also, like Ray, carry two 5 gallon yellow diesel plastic tanks for a long trip. We are currently on one of these long trips. We've been gone 2 1/2 months and will be home in about 10 days. I did not have the occasion to use any of the diesel fuel...that's a good thing.
Now, I have $40. worth of fuel that I am apprehensive about putting in my fuel tank.
Should I use it, or get rid of it? Where are all these chemical engineers when you need them?

A solution that I did come up with, although it's too late for this trip, is to keep using up the emergency fuel after every 7 or 10 days and replacing it with fresh fuel.

How long does stored diesel fuel last and still be safe to use?

Thank you
Dick

dewwood

Diesel fuel will store much longer than gasoline. I store diesel in a storage tank for months and have not had any problems with algae formation or loss of quality. As far as leaving a little diesel in the bottom of the on board tank that would not be a problem because a little diesel in gasoline will not cause any serious issues. If you put gasoline in the tank and then diesel that is a different situation as gasoline in the diesel could do some harm to your engine.

porthole

Retired
Is there any reason that diesel fuel can't be stored in the fuel stations on Road Warrios and Cyclones? I've done a bit of searching but can't find this answer. Aside from the labels that say 'unleaded fuel only' - what's the difference?

I see no reason. If the option when new was for a diesel Genny I probably would have opted for that. It is rare that I use the stored gasoline for the motorcyle. I almost olny use Shell premium in the bike and premium is unnecessary for the Genny.

It is just a storage tank.

I guess it's an interesting question though. What if it were properly treated and filtered and not for long term storage? Aren't the fuel tanks ABS?

The tanks are welded steel.

Water collecting in the tank?
That would be a problem with gasoline or diesel, and with the ethanol content in gasoline it is more a concern then ever before.
Diesel needs to be treated for extended storage against algae and bacteria.
Gasoline needs to be treated to help prevent it from degrading.
They both need to be protected from water intrusion.

I wonder though, if there were any fuel remaining in the tank what it might do at a later point. Maybe to the next owner? Does the pick up leave any fuel laying in the bottom of the tank?

If I was worried about the next owner I would have a lot fewer luxuries on the Cyclone :)

Now, I have $40. worth of fuel that I am apprehensive about putting in my fuel tank.
Should I use it, or get rid of it? Where are all these chemical engineers when you need them?

A solution that I did come up with, although it's too late for this trip, is to keep using up the emergency fuel after every 7 or 10 days and replacing it with fresh fuel.

How long does stored diesel fuel last and still be safe to use?

I'll take that old stuff off your hands for ya!

Seriously, next time you need at least 10-15 gallons of fuel use 5 gallons and top it off from the pump.

Lynn1130

As I understand it a small amount of diesel in gas engines is not a problem. Gas in diesel engines can be a major issue for the engine and your pocket book. Gas, untreated is good for about 3/6 months. Stabil or something similar can extend that to a year. I, too, suffered with a 26 gal tank which is way too small when towing, especially if you hit a headwind. I decided that a Titan fuel tank replacement was well worth the expense. It gives me peace of mind between stations on long hauls and allows me to take advantage of lower fuel prices when I find them. It hurts a little when you fill a 52 gal tank but it is the same difference as filling twice as often and being captive to whatever price the station is charging when you are down to the quarter mark.

scottyb

Fill it full of water, weld a threaded outlet to it at the lowest point, drill the hole through the treaded outlet, flush out the residual water with diesel, install drain plug and Voila!. We do it all the time making repairs to fuel tanks on heavy equipment.