spot bubbled up on roof

fordtech 2008

was on the roof of our 3300ck yesterday washing and noticed some places bubbling up,can this be repaired without replacing the whole roof?

danemayer

Hi fordtech 2008,

If the bubbles are small and stable in size, you might just leave them alone.

If you want to do something about them, you might consider puncturing the bubble, possibly injecting adhesive, and applying a Dicor patch. Since patches on the roof might affect resale/trade-in value, you need to consider how long you plan on keeping this trailer.

Replacing the entire roof would be a very radical fix. The rubber membrane is ripped up, damaging the luan layer to which it's glued. A new luan layer is put on, followed by a new membrane. The A/Cs, ladder, vents, skylights and everything on the roof have to be removed and reinstalled. The front/rear caps will likely not be removed, so a new seam will be created at front and rear caps, creating possible future trouble spots.

You might want to call Heartland Customer Service to discuss. Take a few good pictures ahead of time using a reference object next to the bubble to provide a sizing reference. A dime next to a dime-sized bubble would work. You can reach Heartland at 877-262-8032. Have your VIN# ready.

rarnold

I had the same problem, Ken. About a year after we got our 2900 MK, I noticed several bubbles toward the front of the roof. One went a foot or so width-wise across the top (where the cap attaches to the main body). Several small golfball or tennis ball-size bubbles were also up there. The service mgr where I bought the unit from said this was fairly common and to watch them. They may go down or not. Shouldn't be a problem unless they get torn. Then a good Dicor patch may be needed. So far this summer there has been no issue. Monitoring is the key.

RollingHome

Ken, My RV has roof "ZITS" too. Don't step on them and don't worry about them. Clearasil had no effect on them. These were created when the 'roof technicians' in Elkhart IA. installed the membrane roof. They did not remove all the debris and instead sealed right over the debris. As stated, this is fairly typical of ALL brand trailers and motor homes - not just HL products. Some units have them and some don't. Mine are there until I sell the unit. I'm NOT going to mess with them for the reasons mentioned. Roof ZITS are not easily seen outside in direct sun light. I keep my RV inside and angle lighting makes them stand out. Below are some pics to illustrate, The first pic is a popped ZIT (hole) and it must be fixed. The membrane roof is thick is as a pool liner and glued to 1/4" luan plywood. This gives a light weight strong roof and is a good design. "IF" the dirt is swept off before the roof membrane is glued down !

Happy RVing !
Roof 2 cut.JPGRoof 1.JPGRoof 3.JPGRoof 4.JPG