Awning for back window?

khd995

I have a 3400 RL and am wanting to do something to decrease the amount of sunlight coming in the back window. It certainly lets a lot of heat in the unit. Has anyone added an awning or anything to shade the back picture window.

jbeletti

kdh995,

I have not used anything to cover my windows from the outside but am kicking around ideas.

The back window is tricky due to the ladder but I have seen on other brands, people putting a pull-out awning on the back window and removing a section of the ladder before pulling the awning out.

Another option is externally applied sun screens. One time when I was in Recreational Specialties shop, I saw a Landmark where the owners had installed small turn buttons around all of their windows. I assume they had some sun screens made with grommets in them that allow them place and secure sun screens over the windows.

I see that Dometic's A&E division make what they call Sunscreens. Camping World sells them too. Here's a link to them on Dometic's site. And a link to the installation manual for them. And finally, a link to these Sunscreens as sold at Camping World.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I wonder if tinting would be an alternative. Look at the Heartland website. The Landmark gallery under Special Features. Looks like they are coming with some sort of mirror tint. Saw this in person recently and it looks really good, but I do not know how effective it is reducing heat. Maybe that is a question for the Ask the Factory section. Try the link below. One other note, the picture in the gallery shows a white window but Heartland is using black windows in their production units. The picture on the gallery is from their prototype unit.

http://www.heartlandrvs.com/product.html?id=1&name=Landmark&section=gallery&cid=4

jpmorgan37

I wanted to have a skirt made for the front of my Grand Canyon and found this company. http://www.rvshadeshack.com/ They custom make sun screens, skirts, etc. and if you contact them and give them the measurements, they will make one for you. I've seen them on back windows and they seem to work very well. I;m happy with the job they did for us and their price was reasonable.

John

timk

We made some snap on screens out of tan suntex. Works pretty good, and were ez to do. Just to test it out, before we made them I threw a scrap over one half of my truck winshield, the dash on the suntex side was 30 degrees cooler. If you would like to see a pic just let me know.

timk

Ok, well if you insist.

It was was pretty simple to do, just measured added a little, figured out the radius, cut it all out, and my wife sewed it all up in a couple of hours. The only thing I would do differently would be to get a heavier trim for the perimeter. What we used was some stuff from a sewing shop for quilt edging. Took about an hour to put the snaps on. They would be a little more secure with more snaps, but we didn't want to put any more holes in than we had to. Did all 5 for about a hundred bucks, and I got way too much screen material, its the most expensive part. We looked into the pull up sunshade for the rear, but this seemed simpler and a lot cheaper.

Attachments

• sunshade-1.jpg
    sunshade-1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 71
  • sunshade-2.jpg
    sunshade-2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 81
  • sunshade-3.jpg
    sunshade-3.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 70

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We purchased 3 auto windshield foil type sunscreens. Measured and cut as needed and taped them together with aluminum foil tape. We fitted it to the inside of the rear window between the blind and the glass. It seems to help. Where we park for the summer our rear window faces east so we get quite a bit of sun. Total cost was about $12.

nscaler2

timk said:
Ok, well if you insist.

It was was pretty simple to do, just measured added a little, figured out the radius, cut it all out, and my wife sewed it all up in a couple of hours. The only thing I would do differently would be to get a heavier trim for the perimeter. What we used was some stuff from a sewing shop for quilt edging. Took about an hour to put the snaps on. They would be a little more secure with more snaps, but we didn't want to put any more holes in than we had to. Did all 5 for about a hundred bucks, and I got way too much screen material, its the most expensive part. We looked into the pull up sunshade for the rear, but this seemed simpler and a lot cheaper.
Wow! That is great. None I should make a big difference. Tim, how do the snaps attach to the trailer. Do they have their own fastening mechanism. Or, do you use pop rivets or just how do the attach?
Thanks

Tom of Ypsi

We had the mirror tinted windows on our 2002 Titanium and I can tell you they do make a diffference in keeping the coach cooler. It also makes it harder to see into the coach from the outside. This was one of the first things I asked for when I ordered my Landmark but was told Heartland did not offer this. Would be nice to see this as an option.

timk

nscaler2 said:
Wow! That is great. None I should make a big difference. Tim, how do the snaps attach to the trailer. Do they have their own fastening mechanism. Or, do you use pop rivets or just how do the attach?
Thanks

I just drilled a very small hole, squirted in a little silicone then used a little #6 screw that fit nicely inside the snap. My thinking was, if I did ever want to take them off, it would be pretty ez to fill the holes with a little gel coat.

And, yes they do work pretty good, I do think the foil works better, but you can still see out thru the screen. The benefit of the screen, (or anything for that matter, that makes shade), is it keeps the darned black frame a lot cooler, so there is less heat transfer. But If its smoking hot, we use both.

khd995

Those screens look great. That's something I think I'll do. I have the foil covered bubble wrap stuff in most of my window, I just don't want to have to do that for my picture window. I feel like I might as well be in a hotel room if I can't enjoy at least some of my view.

Has anyone had their windows mirror tinted, if so is it something you can do or do you need a professional install.

SmokeyBare

I applied a window tint film on our last RV. I found it at a Lowe's but I bet any of them would carry it. Found it in where they sold the blinds. The rolls of tint came in a few different lengths and colors of tint.

I removed the window valances so I could get to the whole window. All I used for this installation was a water spray bottle, utility knife and a window squeegee or plastic scraper to smooth out the air bubbles. All that's left was to trim around the window frame.

This tint was was very good to see through... but it prevented seeing in the RV from outside during the day... because of the mirror like tint.

It did help reflect the heat of the suns rays.

jbeletti

I was at the factory yesterday and I asked Scott Tuttle about the windows in the new Landmark and he confirmed that the white frames we saw on the prototype were just ones they were testing and that black frames are what is being used on production models as Mark stated.

Also, the mirror tint vs. the black tint was confirmed as the new standard.

Jim

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Oh dear Jim, you questioned my statements???;) HAHA

I had questioned Scott myself as I saw a production Augusta here at Best Buy and it had black windows butthe Heartland website showed white and he confirmed to me that the production windows will be black. I for one am glad they went that way.

And yes, that Augusta has caught my eye but haven't been able to talk Linda into it. Maybe that's another discussion another time.

Later all,

Mark

jbeletti

Not sure what I was thinking Mark. I think I was a little light headed :eek:

Hey, I took a few pics of the interior of the Cape Cod as well as a pic of the 50 amp cord reel and an external radio antenna. I'll post them on the relevant forums within Landmark this weekend.

Since you can't talk Linda into the new unit, I think you'll need to resort to tricking her into it. :D

Good luck!

Jim

happyrover

Sun screens on Landmark

Had sun screens installed on all my windows on the Landmark at Tucson, AZ last month. Had the dark brown installed as the gentlemen who did the work said they would reflect more sun and be cooler inside. I believe he was right. Complete deal was 300 bucks. He squared all the corners so as not to use to many snaps. Also installed 5 foot awnings on the living room and dining room window. Am really covered for any hot areas now. Did the thick insulation pads in the upper vents and it helps to keep the heat out also.
Happyrover Mel & Nina

jbeletti

Hi Mel and Nina,

Can you post pics of a few of your sunscreens? Or email some to me and I'll add them to your post.

Thanks,

Jim