LCD TV - Do I remove it from the wall for traveling?

zoozoo

We just traded our Play Mor fifth wheel for a 2008 Sundance 3012 RE & took possession of it yesterday. We love the floor plan & are hoping it will give us many years of use. We have our fist trip planned in about 3 weeks. Going to Glacier National Park & Yellowstone for two weeks. Hopefully, we'll be able to take it out for a short camping trip before then to see if everything is working properly. I ordered a 26" flat screen LCD TV from Walmart for the camper, and am wondering if the TV will need to be removed from the wall mount while traveling. Does anyone have experience with the fixed mounts in entertainment centers? I'm so glad my dealer told us about this forum. Looks like a lot of valuable information here.

roazo

Sundance Owner
Welcome

Welcome to the forum, dont know about the TV but someone else can give you an answer.Know you will enjoy your Sundance as much as we do.:)

cliffhanger

Look at attaching some adjustable retaining straps. LCD's don't weigh too much, and with them attached to a mount, there isn't too much movement.

zoozoo

DH had mentioned retaining straps as a possibility. We'll get some for the lcd. I'm assuming that you can use them also for the tv in the bedroom. Thanks for the suggestions. So glad to have this forum for advice on our new Sundance.

SmokeyBare

We've a 32 inch LCD Screen in the living room. Mounted with a sturdy steel frame. I also installed the 20 inch LCD Tv in the bedroom using a swing arm mount I purchased from Sears.

The Swing arm Mount is very sturdy and doesn't even move when we travel. The Factory istalled the 32"... and it has two locks that keeps the frame from moving.

No need to worry about the LCD... this is the same as a laptop computer monitor. They have many years of service... and have proven to be very durable.

khd995

SmokeyBare, I have been thinking about mounting a TV in the bedroom as you mentioned. By any chance do you have any pictures you could post. I'm trying decide the best way to mount an LCD and would love some ideas.

SmokeyBare

I will try KHD....

I will post the installation I did in the bedroom. I also will attach the Living Room mount which was done by Heartland.

Good Luck... but be ready to spend a few $$ for the Mount if you purchase one that has a swing arm.

Attachments

• IMG_1794_1.JPG
    IMG_1794_1.JPG
    429.2 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_1795_2.JPG
    IMG_1795_2.JPG
    426.2 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_1796_3.JPG
    IMG_1796_3.JPG
    405.4 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1797_4.JPG
    IMG_1797_4.JPG
    457.9 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1798_5.JPG
    IMG_1798_5.JPG
    426 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_1799_6.JPG
    IMG_1799_6.JPG
    446.4 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_1800_7.JPG
    IMG_1800_7.JPG
    374.9 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1801_8.JPG
    IMG_1801_8.JPG
    446.2 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1802_9.JPG
    IMG_1802_9.JPG
    476.1 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1803_10.JPG
    IMG_1803_10.JPG
    435.7 KB · Views: 179

chardel

SmokeyBare, did you do anything extra to the back of the bedroom tv enclosure area to attach the swing arm? or did you just screw the plate to the back of the tv cubby which is I guess the side wall of the rv and attach the tv to the other end?

SmokeyBare

Del & Charlotte,

I attached the mount on the right side of the TV cubby hole. This wall thats between wall cabinets above the dresser drawers and the TV Cubby hole. I selected that wall because of it's solid material. The left side is our closet wall and is hollow... I felt it was going to cause far more work beefing up the hollow wall on that side.

The Mount I bought was very heavy... and it had a back plate that the swing arm attached too. I drilled the holes to attach the back plate through the solid 3/4 inch material and I used large fender washers on the other side of the mounting plate. Those large washers help to improve the strength of the solid wall.

The back wall was too far back inside the cubby hole for the swing arm to extend the TV so it could be seen. Besides the outside walls are also hollow, except for the insulation... I try not to drill into the outside walls for any reason.

The second & third Photos are with the TV turned 90 Degrees to the left...

This has also allowed a large extra storage area behind the TV. I use part of that space for the DVD player below the TV. I still have lots of left over room... perhaps I'll move some DVD's back there.

Hope this helps, if you want more info just drop me a line.

Marv

chardel

Thanks Smokey, I see what you did now and the pictures show that very well. I think that is a very good idea and am considering doing that as well.
Saves taking tv down every time you move and storing it on the bed.