Oregon 126

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
AnaLyn is freezing over here on the coast...Charleston is 50 degrees and fogged in now for two days and the forecast is for the same. Need to work our way back home...looking at crossing over on 38 and stopping in Westfir or going 126 on to Harrisburg and stopping at River Bend. How is 126 to tow?

Many Thanks!

wdk450

Steve & AnaLyn:
There is an Oregon Scenic Byway that heads north out of Westfir and meets Hwy 126 by Cougar Lake. This is a good, paved, lightly travelled, 2 lane road through forest that isn't as windy as a lesser grade road could be. It is a little curvy here and there, but no major switchbacks that I recall. It follows a rockface as it skirts Cougar Lake near the North end, but the Northbound lane would be on the lake side. I took this trip with just my truck as an excursion from Casey's in Westfir, But think it would be O.K. for a big fiver. Ask the folks at Casey's for more advice.
I drove 126 from I-5 to Sisters (in just the truck again), on another excursion, and there is a lot of RV big rig traffic on that, so it should be fine. I don't know about the portion north of Cougar Lake.

I wish I had some of that 50 degree foggy weather. It's 105 and smoky here in Sacramento.

SJH

Thanks Bill...we got up early and headed out vis HWY 38. We heard on the news Westfir was having aq wild fire problem so we went north. Very pleasant drive. Ended up at River Bend in Harrisburg. Kind of a parking lot in the dry country. It's 95 now and AnaLyn is no longer cold! Went into town and had some great Chinese food. Think we will hit the pool. Still working north towards home...perhaps Premier Resort in salem tomorrow (Wednesday)

Best Wishes!

loafer

Hey Steve
Glad Analyn is warm now 95 degrees shud do it . We went inland on 126 last fall and it was great very sceinic along the river and thru forests till we hit Bend then its semi desert and warm in October . Premier resorts is nice . Enjoy your travels and stay safe out on the road. We are envious and wish we were out on the road
like you folks love travelling Oregon
Bill

SJH

Hey...I don't have the heart to say she is now complaining of the heat :) We had a good day and thankful for the pool! I have heard Premier is difficult to get to as you must drive through downtown Salem?