Sony surround sound

danemayer

You didn't mention what rig you have, or what satellite receiver or what surround sound, or how new they are so the answers you get will be very general.

Most of the newer equipment will have Optical Audio connectors that use a cable like this. Look at the connectors on the back of the surround sound and back of the satellite receiver or look at their respective manuals to see what type of inputs and outputs are available on your equipment.

My unit is a 2013 Cyclone 4100HD The surround souns is Sony, TV is Magnavox, and Satellite dish is automatic I believe Winegard. Direct Tv system. Thanks The surround sound is located over the microwave on the slide out and the Tv is over the fireplace making it difficult to run extra wires. However they have run red yellow and white RCA wires along with several speaker wires to the surround sound. Thanks

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You may need to run an audio cable(s) from the TV Audio Out jacks (assuming it has these) to the the receiver audio in. I had to do this, using the the red/white audio cables. Since you have different brands of TV and receiver, you may have the optical jacks Dan mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

My unit is a 2013 Cyclone 4100HD The surround souns is Sony, TV is Magnavox, and Satellite dish is automatic I believe Winegard. Direct Tv system. Thanks The surround sound is located over the microwave on the slide out and the Tv is over the fireplace making it difficult to run extra wires. However they have run red yellow and white RCA wires along with several speaker wires to the surround sound. Thanks

Current A/V equipment will almost certainly use the TOS Optical cable connections I linked to earlier.

If your Directv receiver is a DVR, you'll definitely want to connect the Directv receiver optical out to the surround sound optical in rather than just use the audio out from the TV. The DVR may introduce an audio sync problem when listening to the sound that goes from the satellite receiver to the TV and then to the surround sound. Using the optical link from the satellite receiver directly to the surround sound eliminates this problem.

If the rca a/v cable is already routing the TV audio out to the surround sound input, leave it there so you have it available when you watch over the air TV or cable. When you change video sources, you'll have to also select the corresponding audio source with the surround sound remote control.

Here's a generic diagram that may help.

Attachments

• Rushmore Entertainment Center Wiring.pdf
    16.6 KB · Views: 50

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Current A/V equipment will almost certainly use the TOS Optical cable connections I linked to earlier.

If your Directv receiver is a DVR, you'll definitely want to connect the Directv receiver optical out to the surround sound optical in rather than just use the audio out from the TV. The DVR may introduce an audio sync problem when listening to the sound that goes from the satellite receiver to the TV and then to the surround sound. Using the optical link from the satellite receiver directly to the surround sound eliminates this problem.

If the rca a/v cable is already routing the TV audio out to the surround sound input, leave it there so you have it available when you watch over the air TV or cable. When you change video sources, you'll have to also select the corresponding audio source with the surround sound remote control.

Here's a generic diagram that may help.

Good point Dan. My DirecTV unit did not have the DVR (and no optical audio on it so I had to use the TV to Receiver link).