3670 on order - some questions

retroxrider

Hi All!
My first post here. Just found the forum after ordering a 2008 3670. We are moving up from a 99 Sierra 30BHSS.
After reading some horror stories here, I hope we made the right decision by going with the BH. I hope that Heartland listens and reacts to it's customers. We had looked at some Cardinals and Cameos but they were slightly out of our comfortable budget.
With that being said, we ordered ours (without actually seeing the layout in person) with only a couple options. The fireplace (just like the looks), central vac, and extra high back chair. We are seasonal campers, so the rims and electric jacks were of no real value to me. I was torn on the gel coat, but was told it was close to a $3K option! :eek: 2nd A/C is not a big deal (camp in southern NH).
Does anyone know what brand of central vac is currently being installed? I have read posts and seen both Dirt Devil and Eureka mentioned. My parents have the DD in their Carriage and love it.
Hopefully when our unit comes in, we won't have as many problems as some here have had.

Thanks for listening!

Phil

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Relax...most of the problems you are reading about were in the earlier model years. We have an 08' 3600 RL and so far we've experienced only very minor issues.i.e., leak in shower, leak at water connection...one needed re-caulking the other just needed to be tightened. Several very small cosmetic blemishes, the entry door handle needed to be re-hung and a speaker in the bedroom didn't work (connection in entertainment slide wiring bundle came apart).

All were very minor problems that only took several minutes to fix. As for the rest of the unit IT IS BEAUTIFUL! and everything seems to be working flawlessly. We are fulltimers and have been in it for more than a month...I know that's not long, but being in it day in/day out, if we were going to experience any serious problems they would have already started surfacing.

We have already towed it over 2,200 miles and it tows like a dream!!

As for Heartland, after reading the earlier problems and seeing the changes made in our 08' to correct many of these issues, it's apparent they DO listen and act on what they learn. Can't ask for more than that!

Our central vac is the Eureka and it works adequately...probably wouldn't have ordered it if I used one before.

Be glad you chose the Bighorn, we saw the Cardinals being made and the Bighorns, there was no comparison in the construction of the two...Bighorn is put together much better, no question.

Good Luck...you'll be pleased!

lwfox002

Our 08 Sundance

We are on our 3rd trip in our 2008 Sundance 2997BHS. We have had very minor problems. The Coby DVD/CD/Radio is the worst one. Seems to be a very cheap product. Other then that, we are very happy and have found not problems worth complaining about, they are so small. Enjoy yours as much and as often as you can.None None None None None

retroxrider

kakampers said:
Relax...most of the problems you are reading about were in the earlier model years. We have an 08' 3600 RL and so far we've experienced only very minor issues.i.e., leak in shower, leak at water connection...one needed re-caulking the other just needed to be tightened. Several very small cosmetic blemishes, the entry door handle needed to be re-hung and a speaker in the bedroom didn't work (connection in entertainment slide wiring bundle came apart).

All were very minor problems that only took several minutes to fix. As for the rest of the unit IT IS BEAUTIFUL! and everything seems to be working flawlessly. We are full-timers and have been in it for more than a month...I know that's not long, but being in it day in/day out, if we were going to experience any serious problems they would have already started surfacing.

We have already towed it over 2,200 miles and it tows like a dream!!

As for Heartland, after reading the earlier problems and seeing the changes made in our 08' to correct many of these issues, it's apparent they DO listen and act on what they learn. Can't ask for more than that!

Our central vac is the Eureka and it works adequately...probably wouldn't have ordered it if I used one before.

Be glad you chose the Bighorn, we saw the Cardinals being made and the Bighorns, there was no comparison in the construction of the two...Bighorn is put together much better, no question.

Good Luck...you'll be pleased!

Glad to hear that. I fully expect to find minor things. That doesn't bother me, as I am a tinkerer anyway, and am handy with tools.

Thanks for your response!

Happy Camping

retroxrider

lwfox002 said:
We are on our 3rd trip in our 2008 Sundance 2997BHS. We have had very minor problems. The Coby DVD/CD/Radio is the worst one. Seems to be a very cheap product. Other then that, we are very happy and have found not problems worth complaining about, they are so small. Enjoy yours as much and as often as you can.None None None None None

We are seasonal campers, so we are in the unit just about every weekend for 7 months. I am looking forward to getting into it.
Thanks for your response

Happy Camping!

madigand

We absolutely love ours. We bought ours sight unseen in person, only on the web. Thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions we received from the forum members and expertise. We have workamped/full-timed in it since April 08. We have towed it approximately 2,000 miles. we have only had a few small problems (shower leak at bottom-re-caulked, air bed had small leak-Flair sent a new mattress) nothing major. We highly recommend Heartland units and are amazed at peoples expressions when they see what all we have and the price we paid. RV's for Less does a fantastic job of going thru units and lives up to what they say and what all has been written about them. PM me if you have any more questions.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We've had ours since March and love it. All together we have spent about a month living in it with only minor problems. You have to remember that these are houses on wheels and are under a lot more stress than a stationary object. Things are bound to come loose and sawdust will sift out during towing for awhile, but all of the little things we've had happen were easily fixed during one trip to our dealer. Heartland will do their part, and as long as you have a good dealer service dept. everything will be fine.:)

retroxrider

Thanks to all for the positive feedback. Beleive me, I am not a newbie to the camping scene. Growing up my parents made the progression of pop-up all the way to motorhome. This will be my 5th unit. I have seen my share of minor and major fixes in used and new units. Minor problems don't bother me - I'll fix those - and as long as Heartland stands by the major ones, then I'll have no problem there either.
My dealer has a good reputation in the area (MA/NH), plus the salesperson that I dealt with is the son of a coworker/riding buddy. I know he won't feed me any BS. My parents bought their new Cameo from him and he was very helpful in getting some things fixed that were pointed out in the PDI, but were not fixed when delivered to their seasonal site. He had a service tech out and he fixed everything on the list plus other things they found after delivery. So even a company like Carriage has their share of little oversites/problems.
My biggest problem at this point is waiting! It's killing me!:D Hopefully another 4 weeks. At least I'll get about a month of camping in before the end of the season.

Thanks once again for the reassurance!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
retroxrider,
I know you will be happy with your purchase. We currently have a Bighorn 3500RL and have been very pleased. We have toyed with upgrading to the new 3670 layout. It is a very nice rig and the 2008 models have many newer features as compared to our 2006. You can rest assured that Heartland will definitely back their products.

Congratulations,

Mark

retroxrider

ziggy said:
We've had ours since March and love it. All together we have spent about a month living in it with only minor problems. You have to remember that these are houses on wheels and are under a lot more stress than a stationary object. Things are bound to come loose and sawdust will sift out during towing for awhile, but all of the little things we've had happen were easily fixed during one trip to our dealer. Heartland will do their part, and as long as you have a good dealer service dept. everything will be fine.:)

What is the length of the awning on your 3670? I know that Heartland uses A&E, but what model is it (8500, 8500 Plus, 9000, etc)

TIA!

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
retroxrider said:
What is the length of the awning on your 3670? I know that Heartland uses A&E, but what model is it (8500, 8500 Plus, 9000, etc)

TIA!

I'm sorry I don't know the model number, but someone does and will let you know. Also, you can ask that on the Ask the Factory thread and they can get that info for you. If that doesn't work, I'll try to get to where the trailer is and find out.

ChopperBill

Retro, Ours is (was) an A&E Sunchaser. Model is 834AV20.401. It is a 20 footer and I would guess that because ours is the shortest Bighorn model yours wont be over 21 foot as that is as long as they make 'em. Depends where the mounting points are. On your model it could even be shorter than ours depending on window placements or other objects.

On edit: Just looked at your floor plan and it has to be a shorter awning (just speculation on my part) because you have the large slide on the door side. Mine has the entertainment slide on the door side.