Slide problems?

hepcat

I recently bought one of the last '11 mpg 184s in captivity. I've towed it about 2500 miles now, and I noticed that the bottom of the slide is apparently striking the fender. There are scratches on the fender. The only weight on the slide is a few towels in the cupboard above, so that's not an issue.

The selling dealer has it right now and is telling me that there's nothing wrong with the slide and that they can't see the scratches on the fender. The pedestal toilet also rocks on the base (nothing leaks) and they can't seem to make that happen either. I had a few other small issues and they've taken care of those. I'm going over this afternoon to show them in person and pick the trailer up.

Has anyone else experience a problem with the slide striking the fender?

Thanks!

danemayer

Hi Hepcat,

I'm no help on the MPG, but it seems like the scratches are either there or not and the toilet either rocks or doesn't. Doing a show and tell 1-on-1 with the tech should settle it one way or another.

hepcat

Hi Hepcat,

I'm no help on the MPG, but it seems like the scratches are either there or not and the toilet either rocks or doesn't. Doing a show and tell 1-on-1 with the tech should settle it one way or another.

I would have thought it to be a pretty binary operation too... how tough is it to see that a toilet rocks on its base and that the fender is scratched... and the service writer claims that both the tech and his supervisor checked it and can't replicate the problem or see the scratches; and that HE can't see the scratches either... perhaps it's like the Emperor's new clothes... no one can see them but me. *sigh*

danemayer

It also should be pretty easy to observe the clearance between slide and fender while the slide is being operated.

hepcat

I drove over Friday to show them what I was seeing. The toilet is apparently a victim of the wet bath shower pan design. There's a quarter-inch clearance at the front of the toilet between the pedestal and the shower pan as the shower pan slopes down. An interesting design. I guess it'll remain to see if it causes the toilet to break, but there's nothing that can be done about it save perhaps figure out a way to shim the front corners or something.

On the slide, interestingly enough the reason that they're not seeing the problem is because the problem isn't happening right now. When I checked it last, at the fender, there was less than 1/8" clearance as the slide rode in and out at an angle. Now, it's sliding flat, and clearance isn't an issue; there's nearly an inch of clearance. I ran it in and out several times, and couldn't duplicate the problem. I'll watch it closely. Fortunately I have the full warranty period yet and I discovered it early-on. I have no idea what to make of a slide that repairs itself; but for the time being all is well. Unfortunately they're not going to replace the fender which was damaged by the slide because they're saying that there's no way that the slide COULD have damaged the fender... yet there is clearly no other way the fender could have been damaged. *shakes head*

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sorry you are having issues!

I have seen toilet shims in the big box home repair centers, meant for residential use, but you might see if that would help. I believe they are made of clear plastic, and you can trim to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk