Keyless entry - receiver location

DougS

Doug S
After three seasons, my keyless entry stopped working. I cleaned the two posts on door jam and installed new exterior key pad battery, but still did not work. I took the inside panel off and cleaned connections as well as wires on sliding post. Something was not making a good connection, it now works. I was unable to locate the receiver, is that located under the window trim? The instruction sheet does not show receivers location. Would like to know for future repairs. Thanks.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Yes, the receiver is inside the door and accessible by removing the window interior trim of your entry door. Once the panel is removed look down inside the door and stuffed in the door insulation is the receiver. You have to reprogram the receiver to operate your new keypad. This process must be done with the door closed or the brass contacts located at the bottom inside of door jam in contact to connect 12volts to receiver.

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
The receiver is in the door under the window you have to remove trim and both pains of glass.

DougS

Doug S
Thanks for the replies. I have full body paint so did not want to remove outside trim, good to know it's behind inside trim. Next time door does not work, I will clean receiver terminals. Battery was replaced on key board and works without reprogramming.

murry135

Yes just changing the battery will not require access to receiver I thought you were looking to access receiver to reprogram for new key pad. Wow 3 yrs on a single battery and key pad. I get 3 weeks on a key pad then need a replacement. They do not handle water well and being outside there is an occasional rain storm or maybe unit washing. I now have my latest heypad inside a outdoor receptacle cover to try and keep it dry and fumctioning

DougS

Doug S
I have been real lucky with the keypad, I must have used it well over a thousand times. When I replaced the battery, I used a small amount of sealer like the original was, I only hope I was able to seal it as good as The original.

DougS

Doug S
When I pried the keypad cover off, there was blue sealant around the edges of the flexible part of the keypad that covers the circuit board. I bought a tube of flexible sealant from an auto parts store and applied it with a tooth pick. I then waited a day to snap the cover back in place to let the sealant dry.
Also, I couldn't find good instructions about replacing the battery so I took the keypad off the RV, which I found was unnecessary. To re-apply the keypad, I found a good double sided tape at Lowes, Scotch Extreme Mounting Tape. This tape is similar to what was originally holding keypad on.

murry135

Next question, how did you change battery with our removing unit from camper. Mine has 6-8 minut screws holdine the keypad togerther. ALso never seen any blue sealant on any of mine keypads, wondering if we have two different kinds of keypads.

DougS

Doug S
There must be two or more different keypads. The only screw on mine is reached from the back, and I am not sure what it is for, possible tension on battery, but I did not touch it. There was ever so slightly a layer of sealant, blue in color. When I applied the new sealant, I was not able to apply as little as the manufacturer, there must be an art to it.

As for the receiver location, I did not have to reach mine, lock works great again. Down the road, if I have problems, I might think of relocating the receiver to inside the door jamb (wall). I can't believe shutting the door (sometimes slamming it) is any good for the receiver or it's connections. Just a thought, not sure if it is possible.

funntheson

fyi- I am currently installing a new keypad transmitter. I was able to pull the receiver out, after removing just the inside frame of the window. The panel is very flexible, just be careful. Again, I did not remove any glass during the process.

Also, be careful not to pull the receiver out too far and risk disconnecting the wiring harness.

Larry