Heated mattress pads

dl_camps

Hi All,
We are the proud owners of a North Trail 21fbs. Just wondering if anyone out there has used heated mattress pads in their camper. Our old popup had heated mattresses and they were great! Great for fall camping, it's nice to climb into a warm bed when it's cold outside.

Thanks,
Don & Linda

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sometimes my feet get unusually cold. I don't wear socks to bed so at times I use a heating pad at the foot of the bed under the sheet. Works great. We've thought about an electric blanket but haven't gone that route yet.

84bob

Have a heated mattress pad at home,works great for the cold feet.Went on a trip to Yellowstone and couldn't find a pad before we left so bought an electric blanket w/dual controls.Works just great.

RollingHome

Ditto on the cold feet thing Ray, must be an age thing :). Don & Linda, Like Bob wrote below (#3 post) Patti & I use a heated pad (or blanket) in our RV & home, they work great. Dual T-Stats are best for us. I guess you can say "we're Happy Campers"...

Happy RVing !

JJnLilly

We've got one (heated mattress pad) on our bed in the stick house as well as the Greystone. Both are dual control. Great fro warming the bed up on those chilly/cold nights.

tjspencer

Wisconsin Chapter Leader
My wife and I enjoy fall camping over any other time of the year and we used an electric blanket for many years now. We like it cooler in our bedroom but we don't like a cold bed to turn in to at night.

pegmikef

Hehehe . . . fall camping in Texas just means that the A/C only runs 8 hours a day instead of day and night. I am envious and wish we had a need for an electric blanket in the fall (or winter for that matter).

ILH

This conversation reminds me of my family's cottage north of Toronto. Although it was winterized, the heat was turned off between trips - which meant the mattresses would be frozen solid when we'd arrive on Friday nights. Electric blankets put heat ABOVE the sleeper, whereas heated mattress pads put the heat BELOW. The advantages of the heated mattress pads were:

1. you didn't feel the cold mattress (while the cottage warmed up)
2. heat rises, keeping you toasty warm!

Last edited:

pegmikef

This conversation reminds me of my family's cottage north of Toronto. Although it was winterized, the heat was turned off between trips - which meant the mattresses would be frozen solid when we'd arrive on Friday nights. Electric blankets put heat ABOVE the sleeper, whereas heated mattress pads put the heat BELOW. The advantages of the heated mattress pads were:

1. you didn't feel the cold mattress (while the cottage warmed up)
2. heat rises, keeping you toasry warm!

Where is the cottage? We used to have one on a little lake (Beaver Lake) near a very small town named Tamworth. It was about fifty miles from Kingston. As a youngster I spent many summers there fighting the mosquitoes and leeches (from swimming in the lilypads).

bobber

We camp year round and have heated mattress pad in our fifth wheel. I never turn my side on but my husband loves it. We have had it for 3 years and it works great.

ILH

Where is the cottage? We used to have one on a little lake (Beaver Lake) near a very small town named Tamworth. It was about fifty miles from Kingston. As a youngster I spent many summers there fighting the mosquitoes and leeches (from swimming in the lilypads).

The family cottage was in Muskoka - in a small town called Bala - about 2 hours north of Toronto. When my parents retired they sold the place... lots of great memories. I really wish my kids could have grown up knowing what it was like.

That was the main reason I decided to get into RV'ing. I can't afford a cottage - but I wanted them growing up with great memories of vacations and places we've visited.

ILH

We camp year round and have heated mattress pad in our fifth wheel. I never turn my side on but my husband loves it. We have had it for 3 years and it works great.

Hey Barbara - you sound like you're totally opposite from most of the population! Most of the married couples I know (myself included), the wife has the heat on while the husband can't stand it!

Thank goodness they make the mattress pads (and electric blankets) with dual zone controls.

Last edited:

AnnR

I love our heated mattress pad! We even use it on its lowest setting some nights when it's just damp but not really cold. Keeps my bones from feeling old and creaky in the morning. I don't like it hot in the bedroom, and with the heated mattress pad we rarely have to use our furnace during Wisconsin springs and falls. (Although that toilet seat can be a little chilly at 3 a.m. in October!)

hapjack

HI everyone;We have a BH 3585 with king bed.Where have you all found your heated mattress pads?? Our bed is 70X80,All we can find is 76X80.My feet are cold. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

wildwolfproducts

We keep thinking about getting one of those pads. But for the last 2 years we burn up, so both sleep with a sheet and windows open or fan on. If its above 55 were in shorts. Would love to get back to normal again.

Draco Dog

We have a 2010 Big Horn 5th wheel. We have a heated mattress pad. We think they are so much better than an electric blanket. With the electric blanket, it's so easy to get the blanket all twisted up during the night. But with the heated mattress pad, the pad stays in one place. Always get the pad with dual controls. Hubby hardly uses it at all. I use my side probably 90% of the time. I usually start off with the pad on #9, just to get it warmed up. Hate climbing into a cold bed. I give it about 15 minutes to get warm. Nothing better.

Wharton

Electric blankets and mattress pads are very seasonal items. We bought both at Walmart but had to keep checking as we drove across the country. Once you see them, don't hesitate to buy them. Best i can figure Walmart gets in one shipment and that is it.