Propane tank humming?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Had a strange experience yesterday! Inside cooking dinner, had just turned on the stove, which was the only thing drawing propane, as we were on 50 amp and using electric for everything else, when I started to hear a very low pitched "humming" sound.

Started searching, DH thought I was nuts, of course since he can't hear anything. Noticed it was loudest in the bedroom. When I couldn't locate the problem inside, I went outside and when I got to the propane compartment, the door was actually vibrating...got DH outside who opened it and one of the tanks was vibrating with a high pitched whistle...he closed the valve, then turned it immediately back on, and it hasn't done it since...

Any ideas as to what was going on?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
So, do you think it's bad, or just acting goofy?

I really can't say. I guess if it act ups again, it may be "Bad". Are you sure the noise was coming from the tank valve and not the regulator?.

Rick mentioned the possibility of the valve not being opened all the way. I don't feel this is likely because I never open valves all the way. I open all valves all the way then back 1/4 turn. The reason for this is you'll never have to guess weather the valve is open or closed cause the valve will turn. Open a valve all the way and a bit too tight and someone may think it's closed. It was something I learned in the Navy and have been doing since then.

rick_debbie_gallant

Ray, I must disagree on the open valve thingy. A propane should be either all the way on or all the way off. In fact when on, the valve should be "back-seated". This simply means to go past fully open until you feel it "back-seat". It is possible for propane to leak around the thread valves if not back seated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray, I must disagree on the open valve thingy. A propane should be either all the way on or all the way off. In fact when on, the valve should be "back-seated". This simply means to go past fully open until you feel it "back-seat". It is possible for propane to leak around the thread valves if not back seated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's something I had not heard nor been aware of. Not to say I don't believe you but it's something I'll look into. Like I had said, I've been doing it that way for many years. Never had a leak or indication of one.

gasman

Camp Socializer
I have worked in the gas industry for 27 years and have experienced this numerous times. Sometimes it is caused by a failing regulator(usually a bad diaphragm) and other times it is just one of the great mysteries of life. If it does it again or if you start to smell propane coming from the reg vent, replace the regulator. Otherwise make up a wild story to tell around the campfire.