Where to find a 70X80 mattress??

ChopperBill

Seems all the after market memory foam beds for RV's come in 72X80. How come Heartland uses a 70X80? Cant seem to find a replacement mattress with out going with a high dollar custom made. Any suggestions?

danemayer

Hi Chopper Bill,

Before leaving on our 2 month summer trip, we replaced our original mattress with a 12" memory foam mattress from Lasting Impressions. The RV King size is $499 delivered (2-3 day delivery included). It's 72" wide but it compressed a bit and fit right in even though the spacing at the head of the bed is more like 69 1/2" I think. We had previously put down tiles to let the mattress slide more easily and this mattress has no problem fitting the space.

They come in 8", 10" and 12" thickness. The top 3" is memory foam and the rest is conventional foam. The thicker base is recommended for heavier people like me. They said a 10" would work for me at 250#, but the 12" would wear better over time. I measured the clearance between platform and window treatments and 12" is tight, but fits. The head of our mattress sits higher than normal because we have a 4" wedge at the head of the bed to help with acid reflux. So we have to use a little care when moving the mattress into place.

We sleep really well on this mattress - so well that we're now ready to retire our very expensive coil-on-coil mattress at home. The only downside I would mention is that I compress the foam underneath me overnight and have to roll a bit to get out of bed. Not a bad price to pay for a great night's sleep.

MTPockets

We bought two, King Size memory foam toppers at Walmart - they fit just fine and work great... They sell different thickness toppers from 2" to 4" thick; as well as different sizes - Queen, King, etc... Like I said the regular King size fits our King in the Big Horn just fine.

P.S.... we simply put it on top of the mattress tha came with our unit.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We are also using a 72X80 Air bed from CW. A tad snug at the top but we have the base coated with vinyl so we can slide the mattress down to make and change the bedding.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I put this on earlier but the busy server thing lost it.

Lady Americana is in Oklahoma City. They are the mattress company owned by Mathis Brothers Furniture. They will make custom mattress for you I'm told and at very reasonable prices. Once again, I'm told this and have not purchased from personally.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We took a bigger leap. Figured we would be traveling fulltime for a long time so we went the have one made to meet our needs route.

A King (72"x80") Sleep Comfort at Camping World cost $1,569.99. We bought a 70"x80" custom full natural foam rubber mattress with a 3" topper built in, with handles on each side. It is great and is easy to move in and out to make up. Find a small company that makes custom mattresses and see what they can do for you. It will last a long time with no problems.

FWIW
BC

ChopperBill

Wasn't quite sure a 72" would work. They can be found at a fairly good price compared to having one custom made. Might settle for that. I sent out some quotes for 70" but pretty sure I am not going to beat the $499 price. Still not sure why Heartland decided to go with unconventional 70".