Storm Windows - Are they available? Can they be added?

jbeletti

Toms,

The Hehr windows that Heartland uses do not come with storm windows and it's not an option that Heartland offers. Heartland does offer dual pane windows and most people recommend them highly for their ability to reduce/slow heat/cooling loss through them as well as having a higher acoustical nature.

Consider giving Hehr a call to ask them about storm-type windows. their contact info is:

Hehr International (Window Plant)
1101 N. Oak Road
P.O. Box 219
Plymouth, IN 46563-0219
Phone: 574-935-5122
Fax: 574-935-5745
Email: gmbogo@hehrintl.com

jbeletti

Toms,

Can you direct me to some trailer brand/model that has these as I'd like to research them a bit. Nice to know what brand of RV windows they are.

Also, so we can learn here with you, please share with us why storm windows (beyond the available dual panes) are critical for you.

Thanks and best of luck in your search.

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Toms, When you say storm windows, what exactly do you mean? When I think of storm windows, I'm thinking the old windows on the outside of the house with screens and they are on the outside of the old single pane double hung windows. The dual pane windows that are an option for Heartland come with screens as well. Even the newer residential thermopane windows don't use "storm windows" Hope this helps some.

jbeletti

Hope we hear back from Toms on this as it is interesting. I did an hour of Googling last night and I found a lot of sites that talk about winter RVing and the use of home-made storms, usually using plexiglass or Lexan on the inside of the windows. With the new Landmark for example, with the new wood trim on the windows (very nice touch), I don't think it would be practical to add an interior storm. I did find one brand (Nash) of trailer that advertisers storm windows. I could not find any detail on it so I don't know if it's retrofit-able to the Hehr windows.

I'll be moving this thread to the Heartland General forum but leaving a link to it from this ATF. Scott Tuttle from the factory will weigh in on this if he has anything to add.

Jim

toms

storm windows

Hi Jim
Storm windows do go on the inside they fit the window ring with plastic latchs so they are removeable. They were availble be fore the thermo panes.
They would make lot models more desirable to me better price could be nogiated.
Yes Ive had two artic foxs which I got the windows from the factory in the $1000 range.
Toms

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have to admit, as long as we've been RVing, we've never seen or heard of this type window attachment. Years ago we had used the plastic material on the inside of an old trailer we had in the winter. This is the stuff you heat up with a hair dryer to stretch over the window. It worked pretty good but when you wanted some air it was a no go. We have dual pane on our Bighorn and have stayed in some fairly cold temps. Low to mid teens and have had very little condensation. It was mostly on the windows along side the bed and only overnight. It wasn't there during the day. In a nutshell, the dual pane windows work great.

jbeletti

Toms,

Thanks for following up with us on this one. When I was researching this, I found many sites that described the interior attached temporary storms and a few sites that make and sell them with various styles of attachments.

No matter what brand trailer you end up buying, sounds like you'd be able to have these made for you by a 3rd party.

Best of luck and do let us know what you end up with.

Jim

SmokeyBare

I've seen some RV's in Alaska.... from Europe that had a bubble plastic lens that covered the outside of the RV's Windows.

Sears used to have sales kiosh inside the store that was selling a flexable plastic window that atteched by magnetic strips. The frame gripped the attached magnets that were much like the flexable magnet in a refrigerator's door seal. Those could be made... with a little work...

Try this Link for the idea....

http://www.modernplastics.com/defender.html

Next Cheap idea would be to shrink the plastic film over the windows inside... using double sided tape.... sticking the film over top the tape which is attached to the inside frame... and then using the blow dryer to shrink the film tight.

MY idea is to always head SOUTH somewhere.... where Da Snow doesn't stick !! The Ice always Melts... and The Sun Always shines !!!

Nu-Wa Hitchiker offers a storm window package for I believe about $715.00 on their Discover America and can also order on Hitchhiker II. Plexiglass that attaches to the insides of the windows.