ATF: Big Country - Hitch Receiver for Big Country

Bob Vaughn

I have read that at one time an owner could order a hitch receiver from Hartland. Is that still something I could order to install on the back of my 3250TS to haul my bicycles?

jbeletti

Bob,

Do you have the brackets hanging down from the frame at the back? If yes, then if we have them in stock, you can order the receiver hitch from Heartland Customer Service. If not, then you can't add the receiver hitch we once used.

MTPockets

We ordered the receiver when we had our unit built last fall and got it from the factory. We've been travelling last 6 months and will tell you the receiver is too flimsey... We get a lot of flexing in the square tube and the bikes bounce a lot... We know because the handlebars have hit the rear fiberglass at times. That's a good 12" away when stationary. Now I'm lookng at having welding done to stiffen the whole hitch .

danemayer

We have the 1 1/4" receiver mounted to the frame brackets. The bike rack is capable of holding 3 bikes, but the innermost bike would be too close to the rear cap. I don't know if this is a function of the receiver, or of the rack. I use the 2 outer positions.

The rack wiggles a bit in the receiver, so I use a bungee cord to load it toward the ladder. I also use 5 bungee cords to secure the bikes so they don't swing during travel.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We had a 2" receiver hitch installed on our '08 BC 3250 so we could haul our golf cart behind. They welded it into 6 different area of the frame all the way back under the axles. We pulled the golf cart behind the BC for over 4 years without any problems.

diamonde

what kind of receiver hitch did you installed, just purchased a BC and want to pull golf cart also, This is new to me, so please help

JonV

We had one made at Morry's Trailer sales and it works great and is very well built. We only paid $200 but I don't know if he gave us a break because were ordering the trailer at the same time.

danemayer

what kind of receiver hitch did you installed, just purchased a BC and want to pull golf cart also, This is new to me, so please help

I'm pretty sure Lippert will tell you that a 2" receiver/towing a golf cart will void the frame warranty.

JonV
I see by your post that you live in Sarnia, Ont.
I live in Port Huron, Mi. so that makes us neighbors.
I live a 1 1/2 from Cracker Barrel, which is 1/2 mile from the Blue Water Bridge, which I'm sure you know.
I also went the 2" receiver route.
It's a lot better hitch then the factory unit.

Hockster

MC9

I just clamped a 2" receiver to my square tube bumper and away I went. MY welds seemed to be a little better than some I have seen. I also took the batteries out of the golf cart and put them in the truck. Very little tongue weight. I can tell you by looking in my rear view camera that there is a lot of up and down movement.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Hey Bob,

Here is what we did for our bikes.....

Bike Hitch Thread

It works great!

On the Golf Cart thought, I like this dual wheel design by SwivelWheel.com

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
The question was asked on what type or brand hitch was installed. There wasn't a brand name near the back of the coach and I didn't ask the RV dealership the question so not sure. I have 3 times tried to upload a picture the last couple of days of the triple tow but the system wont let me. Sorry!