LP for Refer and Water Heater

5erWonk

During our most recent trip the propane system for the refrigerator stopped working, the gas valve opens but the ignitor never actuates. It also seems the gas mecanism for the hot water heater is not operating either.....The AC works on both appliances.

Does annyone know if there is a common LP controller for the gas to these two appliances?

All is under warranty but its going to be a couple of weeks before our warranty station can get to the problem and we would like to do some dry camping before then.

jbeletti

Bob,

Smarter folks will chime in on this but what I know is that there is a pressure regulator and an auto-changeover that are common to your gas appliances.

I have heard of a few pressure regulators going bad. Since you can't get into a service center for a couple weeks, I suggest you look at two things.

1. Check the auto-changeover valve. In fact, switch it manually the other way.

2. Make sure both LP tanks are fully opened and that you have gas for sure in at least one of them.

Good luck,

Jim

5erWonk

Thanks Jim,

I manually changed over and do know we have gas at least at the oven and range. The electronic ignitor is not clicking on the refer when swithched to gas, not hearing anything on the hot water heater.

ct0218

Depending on the fridge model, it could have 2 or 3 fuses. I would also check for 12V at the water heater igniter. Work back from there.

5erWonk

so much for a common thread, the hot water heater is now working but the refer LP does not....Stay tuned, hope we don't have a gremlin:confused:

dewwood

This may or may not be related, but I have a new Sundance with a Dometic refer and have a problem of:
The unit will ignite on LP and chill but it will not reignite to maintain the chill. I have talked to the dealer and they indicate possibly a malfunctioning circuit board. Currently waiting on call back from service tech for Dometic and can possibly share more info when I have additional input.

SmokeyBare

Wonk,

I refilled the propane tank once... reconnected it.. turned it on... and the regulator never went GREEN... But stayed in the RED.
The gas would not flow...I messed, thumped it, growled at it, finally I disconnected the tank from the system and re-attached it once again. THIS time it finally went Green... and yes the gas flowed.

Nope... I gave up trying to know why... some things in my view are better left alone ! Maybe this is what's happened?

ct0218

Seems like I remember hearing that some regulators have a built-in flow limiter that prevents a lot (or maybe any) gas flow if it senses a high flow situation. If true, that would be veryt helpful if a gas line broke or was severed, say, from a blowout.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I have found with the new OPV's that you have to open the valves very slowly or the sudden pressure will (I'm assuming) close the valve. I run into this with my BBQ as well...../Doug

K

Ken Washington

Doug,
You are right, the sudden pressure will shout the valve and no gas will flow! I had the same thing happen to me on the BBQ grill.

Ken

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
5erWonk said:
looked at fuses but didn't see any for the refer.

There are actually five fuses for our Dometic refrigerator. The 110v seems to have only one in the AC fuse panel. For the 12v system, one fuse is in the 12v fuse panel, one is inline and easily seen once you remove the grill in the slide out, and the other two are in the circuit board that is covered by a black plastic cover.

Chuck

dewwood

Just an update on my refer problem. I took unit to Elkhart this AM and Dave from Holmes on Wheels, who is a Dometic authorized tech, had me going within ten minutes. It seems the bracket for the igniter probe had gotten bent and the igniter would not work properly and then the circuit board would shut off the gas supply for safety. Got back home and it is still working so apparently that was the problem. Many thanks to Dave for getting me in quickly and back on the road.

I hope 5erWonk has as easy of a fix for his unit.