Garage AC fore thinking

gpshemi

Just a quick note, that hopefully the factory reads in honest.

I just got done installing my garage AC with the exception of running the wiring through the belly. I ran into several hiccups that are easily solved with no cost, by the factory thinking ahead some. I'm sure it's a factory option to have the garage prepped ($$), but I fail to see why it's not done by default when there's a fantastic vent already there.

1) The rear bunks are about an inch too high for the common Duo Therm Brisk Air ceiling assembly. When mounting the bunks, simply drop them by 1-1.5". In my case, I had to pull the bed pins, remove the beds, pull all the wall anchors, move the bunk rails down, and finally remount 1.5" lower to clear the ceiling assembly. While not an impossible task, it's a real pain and means nothing.

2) The wire used for the fantastic vent is a 14ga wire carrying 12volts. Had this been 12ga, the line could have been simply moved over from 12v to 110v power. Again, while not an impossible task, it gets fairly involved stringing a new line for 110v.

3) Thermostat wire for the fantastic vent is just two wires and has an impossible to duplicate run due to being taped together in the roof sections and runs under walls of the loft. If the common 5 five was run from the start, it could be reused with no more effort needed. The cost has to be nearly nothing. I ended up having to drill a hole in the ceiling near the loft, follow down the wall, then back into the wall. It leaves a wire showing along the wall in the garage now, but there's no alternative.

Simple changes at the start eliminates a bunch of heartburn for anyone doing it as an afterthought.

porthole

Retired
I think garage AC is now an option. So these things may be in place for future Cycloner's

iPhone using Tapatalk

gpshemi

ONLY if you get the AC as an option though. My point is why not build it with the afterthought in mind. Mounting the bed lower by 1.5" is simply a no brainer.

gpshemi

The cross bar that sends power from one side to the other side is in the way of the ceiling assembly unless you lower the tracks about an inch.

Just for note here. The AC unit is installed, and AdventureRV helped lead me into the wrong ceiling assembly and thermostat. A combonation that won't work together. They refuse to take it back for whatever reason even with a 20% restocking fee or whatever. I've been in contact with Dometic along the way, and since it's been a mess, they've agreed to help me out in getting the correct parts direct from them...for free!

So remember that when you order from AdventureRV, or you're looking for a new A/C unit. Dometic is a "willing to help" kinda company.
Tweety's gets my biz from here on out.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
GPSHEMI,

My One and Only Experience with AdventureRV was just as convincing - They may ( and I stress May ) have some of the best pricing - but their Customer Service is just not worth the savings IMHO. They won my business on Price once and Lost it on the same transaction with a total lack of any attention to Customer Satisfaction at all!!!

I'd rather order from Tweets or Camping-world and know that I will receive overall customer satisfaction in the end and be happy with the experience!

gpshemi

Just for the record, we're here at the Michigan Rally in 90 degrees, and this is the best money I've spent on the Cyclone. Highly recommending a second AC unit if you don't have one.

porthole

Retired
The cross bar that sends power from one side to the other side is in the way of the ceiling assembly

Your bar is different then this?

46c0c56b-40b0-f2df.jpg

Last edited:

jbeletti

Just for the record, we're here at the Michigan Rally in 90 degrees, and this is the best money I've spent on the Cyclone. Highly recommending a second AC unit if you don't have one.

LIKE :) Great meeting you guys this weekend too!

gpshemi

Yeah porthole. Mine's different.

1) My Happy Jack's were butted tight up flush with the ceiling. You appear to have yours already dropped down that needed 1.5".

2) An even bigger / better deal, your vent is forward of the bunks it appears. Mine is right at the rear spoiler and that cross bar. So with the upper bed up, it's all blocked off. Even is duct from the main AC is clear back there. I was checking out dprince's SOB (Voltage) this weekend at the rally, and his is like yours. That's a much easier install.

Oh well...it's in and freezing us out at this very moment. ;)

gpshemi

Picked up a Tire Minder 6 with booster this weekend too. $399-20%off coupon.Easy install, and appears to be easy to use. I'll know for sure next week when we leave.Now I just need a Classy Chassis Haul It like Jim. Can I get that at Camping World?HAhaha.

porthole

Retired
My vent is still over the bunks but it is forward. From front to back, about the first quarter of the bunk area.

zigzag3337

I had the dealer add the 3rd AC into our 3950 also. There was a fantastic fan there, but only 1 AC vent in the garage. Taking the easy way (and cheaper way), the tech ran a wire track over to the wall to a "T" where the power went toward the back and the thermostat went toward the front. I have it so the rear AC is on its own power verses being connected to the coach.

As far as air glow, both bunks need to be down as the top bunk is right up against the AC. Since we sometimes only want to lower the bottom bunk, I redrilled the pin holes to where the top bunk can be pinned level with the loft and this will allow enough (about 24") air flow.

9002d12a.jpg

bb053a5f.jpg

edeadcb1.jpg

5382c1af.jpg

126638b5.jpg