Sad time for Heartland Dealer

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hey all, saw this today. Fire at Explore USA DENTON.

Explore USA is a chain here in Texas, and a big Heartland Dealer. Hopefully, none of our members had their rig in service here at the time.

Erika

Last edited:

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Well we had a MH burn at the state park we're at and it was traced back to a Norcold Refrigerator. There was no one inside. Never want to see another one burn. Make you wonder what started it.

I hope they get there shop open soon.

CTD2005

Wow! Gave me a little scare when I read the title to this thread. We have our Sundance in for some service work at the ExploreUSA in Boerne.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well we had a MH burn at the state park we're at and it was traced back to a Norcold Refrigerator. There was no one inside. Never want to see another one burn. Make you wonder what started it.

I hope they get there shop open soon.

Steve,
Please elaborate. Was the Norcold operating on gas, or electric? What were the details of the failure? Just curious. Thanks, Trace

scottyb

WOW! The report is on 8/18. I just purchased my Cyclone from that store, but I picked it up at the Kyle store. I had no idea that this had happened.

wdk450

Fires in RV's and RV facilities can be scary. I often think about the old indoor storage place I used with about 25 5th wheels and travel trailers, about 25 high end Class A's, and about 100 boats - all vehicles with fuel and/or propane on board. What a fire that would make.

I was staying last weekend at Betebel RV resort near Gilroy, Ca. with the LOW's group. During our stay there an older 5th wheel pulled into the office area with the interior on fire. The fire dept. came and put it out. The outside shell looked O.K., but I was told the interior was a total loss due to smoke damage. I don't know what caused the fire.

Mac The Fire Guy (Google the term to get his website) has extinguishers for sale that are labelled "engine compartment", but will limit damage in case of a refrigerator fire if mounted in the outside refrigerator vent area. These units have a metal heat-activated trigger that will turn them on automatically when it senses the very high heat of a fire. The cheapest is $180, but compare that to the cost of RV damage from a fire.

Last edited:

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Fires in RV's and RV facilities can be scary. I often think about the old indoor place I used with about 25 5th wheels and travel trailers, about 25 high end Class A's, and about 100 boats - all vehicles with fuel and/or propane on board. What a fire that would make.

I was staying last weekend at Betebel RV resort near Gilroy, Ca. with the LOW's group. During our stay there an older 5th wheel pulled into the office area with the interior on fire. The fire dept. came and put it out. The outside shell looked O.K., but I was told the interior was a total loss due to smoke damage. I don't know what caused the fire.

Mac The Fire Guy (Google the term to get his website) has extinguishers for sale that are labelled "engine compartment", but will limit damage in case of a refrigerator fire if mounted in the outside refrigerator kvent area. These units have a metal heat-activated trigger that will turn them on automatically when it senses the very high heat of a fire. The cheapest is $180, but compare that to the cost of RV damage from a fire.

We have one of the Halon suppressors from Mac in the rear fridge compartment, along with several of his regular fire extinguishers in the coach....allows us to sleep easier at night....

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bill, I will check it out. I didn't have a chance to go to the fire presentation in Gillette.

We leave the pets for a day sometimes and I worry about them being trapped in a situation like you mentioned. Trace