ATF: Big Country - hidden water problem

vanderer

We have a 2011 3450ts with a mysterious water leakage problem that we cannot find the source to. We have had service look at it multiple times and they can't find it either. The carpet in the basement gets soaked and so does the carpet to the bottom step. We love this rig but are getting extremly frustrated at the fact that no one can solve this problem.In the meantime the carpet is discolored from water and the basement floor is getting damaged. It doesn't happen all the time just intermittently. Enough though that some serious damage is going to result. Any help would be greatly appreciated- Thanks

jimtoo

Hi vanderer,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. I think we need a little more information about the leak. First do you have an ice maker? If so find valve and turn off water supply. Does it leak when driving in the rain or only when it rains. Does it leak when hooked to outside supply or when using from tank? Is it possible the water is from the shower or drain for shower,, can you smell the soap?

Please give us a little more info.

Jim M

vanderer

No we do not have an ice maker. It is parked on a seasonal site that we go to 3 to 4 days a week. Can't always tell if it happens because of rain. It is a water and electric only campground so tanks are used. Shower has been checked multiple times and we can't find were the water is coming from. Of course when we get there every hose and line are dry but carpets are wet. Are we missing something behind a wall? I hate to always have to shut everything off everytime we leave the rig. We have had service out to check the shower and all they do is say they tightened the cold water handle on the back side of shower and they can't find anything else wrong. Is it possible that it could be leaking at the elbow?

stan53tt

Hi Vanderer,

We had a leak similar to yours on our 3450TS. I found out that it was coming from the shower faucet. The faucet would leak only when the shower was being used. The water would run down the back of the shower and find it's way onto the floor beneath the shower. That could explain why it's an intermitent leak. Unscrew the access panel and feel for water under the faucet for water while running the shower. Also, If you can access the drain from the shower (from the basement) feel the floor above for dampness. That's how I found mine. Good luck...........Dave

jimtoo

I would check the connections behind the shower like Dave suggested and any other connection that you can find. Also remove the panel in storage area behind the UDC and check closely all connections there and also the drain for the shower.

And I would never go and leave the water turned on for 3--4 days. To many things can happen when unattended. You don't have to unhook,, just turn the faucet (spicket to some) off.

Jim M

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
And I would never go and leave the water turned on for 3--4 days. To many things can happen when unattended. You don't have to unhook,, just turn the faucet (spicket to some) off. Jim M

2x and we don't even leave the afternoon without shutting it off!

Tombstonejim

It sounds like you have not removed the basement wall and actually gone behind it to look for leaks yourself. If you have not do so.

Every water line on me 3450 was loose behind the wall and leaked. I had to go in there and tighten everyone of them. The one that was hardest to find and could be your problem was the one that came thru the floor and went to the commode. It leaked very slowly and ran down the hose and could not really be seen. You had actuall touch the hose to feel that it was wet.

bdb2047

I had the vacumn breaker/backflo preventer,for black tank flush leak on ours.It was not a fitting but out of top. Check it while flusher is being used.Ours is behind access hole in shower not sure of your location.

caissiel

The way I check for water leaks is by shutting all the valves and putting on the 12Volt pump. If the pump starts there is a small leak that needs attention. If it don't I would check some lines past the valves like showers, sink hose or washer hoses if washer connected.

I did have a drip cause by a bradnail driven through a pipe and it took 2 years to find it as it only leaked when trailer was moving and after bradnail rusted, and it dripped more often. Most bradnail would deflect around the pipe but this one was dead center.

Also the UDC shower hose connection can crack and cause a leak only when using the shower head. Had to repair mine but I have a 2009 with the older model valve.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looking at your floorplan, the shower supply lines do appear to be the most likely culprits, followed by the commode. But, as mentioned, you need to remove the basement walls and crawl back there and feel every line and fitting. I also would not leave the water on when you're gone for 3 or 4 days. Shut it off at the pedestal and then open a faucet briefly to depressurize the coach.

Rickhansen

I've searched but can't find a picture, or exterior location of the UDC on your rig. This may be a long shot, but it won't cost you anything.

We had an intermittent leak that persisted in wetting our basement floor. Our hose connector is about half-way up the UDC wall. Below it is several other penetration through the wall for winterizing valves, black tank flush, etc. Our hose connection would leak from time to time, I believe depending on the tension on the hose and connector. The water would run in through one or more of the penetrations in the UDC wall. In addition to fixing the hose leak, the fix was to silicone caulk the penetrations in the UDC.

Is the bottom of your UDC wet?

I also agree, get behind the wall with a flashlight and some toilet paper. Get comfortable, :) (yeah, right) Have someone run the sink, shower, toilet, etc, while you check it out. A small piece of toilet paper will readily show a damp fitting.

We found a water leak on the right side of basement. We were not looking for a leak but when we took the wall out we found two plastic hoses leaking. They were leaking at the 90 degree connections. When I had the wall out I ran water to check all of the other lines. When the wall was out it gave me a chance to clean up all of the sawdust and pieces of wood the factory did not clean up. I also corrected some crushed heater hoses. When the wall is out you can get to the back side of where your hose connects. Good luck
Jim and Margie
2009 Big Country 3285
2006 F350 Super Duty

GOTTOYS

I use one of those blue paper shop towels to check for leaks. Holds up better than toilet paper and you can see the water on it easily..Don