OPD valve ??

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Whenever I turn the gas on the stove on, one propane tank starts to "hum"...is the tank valve bad, or the regulator? Is this a dangerous situation? Do either or both need immediate replacement?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Kathy, you could narrow it down by swapping tanks.
I doubt that it is a tank. It sounds more like the regulator.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Dave, we discovered if we switch to the other tank it stops...so I would think that means the regulator is OK. Would you agree??

hoefler

Some regulators will hum. Perfectly normal, safe, and OK. Depending on how high of a demand is on the regulator, sometimes it will hum, other times it won't. If you had the water heater going while running the stove, it might do it. Some will hum on low demand, some will hum on high demand.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dave, we discovered if we switch to the other tank it stops...so I would think that means the regulator is OK. Would you agree??
I'm thinkin physically swapping the tanks around rather then just switching the regulator over.
One side of the regulator may be causing the hum.

Peace
Dave

chasdvorak

I had a similar problem on my Big Horn and thought it was the regulator. The Heartland service guys checked it out at the Gillette Raly and it turned out to be a bad hose on one side of the regulator. Who would have thunk a hose could go bad, but they fixed it with a replacement.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
That hose has a built in valve that is supposed to shut down the flo if it gets too high. I would think the hose is bad. It happened to me too.