Garage coax output

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
I'm seeing now that the coax output in the BH 3670 is for the cable, not the satellite. Our DirecTV receivers don't have a coax output, only RCA, component and HDMI.

I don't mind having the receiver out there with the TV, but I really don't want to have to run coax from the dish under the rig if I can avoid it.

Can anyone tell me how (if?) I can make that coax the feed into the satellite receiver? Maybe using a diplexer in the bedroom?

Thanks in advance for any help.

danemayer

Bob, I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what you're trying to do. If all you're trying to do is connect the coax coming from the dish to the back of the Directv receiver, that should be simple. Bighorns will have coax connectors for satellite as well as for cable and over the air antenna, so you shouldn't have to run additional coax or get diplexers unless you're doing something beyond a standard setup.

Coax layout diagrams are in the TOOLS/Owner Manuals section of the forum. Here's a link to the page with coax layouts.

You probably have 4 coax connectors in the UDC (see attached diagram). 2 go to the rooftop pre-wiring for a satellite dish. The other two go to the living room and bedroom. If using a rooftop dish, you add jumpers to connect the rooftop lines to the interior coax lines. If you have an external dish, you would connect the cable(s) coming off the dish to the interior coax line(s).

The setup will be similar to a home configuration. If you want to use 2 televisions, you generally get 2 receivers.

If you're trying to use a single receiver to feed 2 televisions, that get's more challenging. Some people have done that with diplexers and re-routing of coax connections at the signal booster. You can also split the hdmi output from the living room satellite receiver with a device like this, and send one side to the living room TV and the other side to a Wireless HDMI Extender like this. You'll be able to watch a single program on both TVs.

While you're in back of the TV and receiver, you may want to look at your audio connections. Here's a generic diagram that may be helpful.

Attachments

• Rushmore Entertainment Center Wiring.pdf
    16.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Rushmore UDC COAX Wiring.pdf
    10.9 KB · Views: 12

simsfmly

Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to respond, sorry for the confusion. Those .pdf files are perfect for a start.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish in short: I want to watch DirecTV on my garage TV outside. What I'm seeing is the ANT/CATV is heading there and split, although I'm curious why it would say the "same signal as living room TV". I have two DirecTV receivers and I have 4 outputs from the dish.

One to the living room (1), one to the bedroom (2) via the UDC. I would like to hardwire a direct SAT dish input to where the garage coax is (3) so that I can take the receiver out of the bedroom, along with the TV that's in there, and watch outside.

On another front, how to people with HD DVR's (like me) that has two tuners get the second feed to their DVR in the living room? Signal can't be split, that would have to be hard wired, also. Wouldn't it?

Thanks again for your time.

danemayer

Bob, in general I think the satellite pre-wiring usually brings a single wire to the living room and another to the bedroom. I have a tv mount with antenna/cable feed in my doorside basement to do what you're proposing to do in your garage. If I want satellite, I have to run a wire through the basement. I suspect you'll have the same with getting satellite to the garage. The sign is to let you know that the connector is carrying the same cable/antenna signal that goes to the living room (and bedroom).

The antenna/cable coax wiring goes through splitters and a signal booster that are not compatible with satellite. If you add diplexers in the right places, you may be able to route a signal without going through either splitters or the booster, but you might find it easier to run a coax line. Depending on where you have to take the wire, and how your underbelly coroplast is attached, it might not be too difficult. Another consideration is that although some people have working configs using diplexers, I'm not sure anyone with high def Directv has weighed in with a working setup. I was unsuccessful with a number of technical approaches that other people had working with standard definition setups.

There are two possible ways to solve the DVR problem. Last year I ran an additional coax line (actually 2 lines) from the UDC along the frame and up into the living room rear entertainment center. At that time I was using my home receivers in the RV. Then this summer, Directv forced me to a new configuration. They provided a new dish/LNB and 2 new receivers for the RV that use their "Whole House" or Single Wire Module (SWM) technology (no purchase charge for the new gear). The SWM equipment needs 1 line to the DVR for both tuners to work. So now I use one coax line to the living room and have 2 spares.

simsfmly

Dan,

Thanks again! Great information, getting more and more excited about getting our new unit.

I was thinking a call to DirecTV would be done sooner than later, and if the SWM technology is out there, that would be superb for the living room.

As far as the garage, I'm thinking I'm going to end up running a single line directly to that coax outlet. Hard part will be figuring out how to get it out of the garage without crimping it with the driver's side door.

Thanks again for your insight, it's greatly appreciated.