Hydraulic Systems - Operating 2 large slides and front foot levelers

grace1942

My Grand Canyon Landmark was built 1/5/2010 and was first purchased in January 1, 2011 by another individual. I purchased this unit in September, 2011. So far we have really enjoyed our unit. However, since we purchased this unit (2011 Grand Canyon Landmark - Serial # 5SFBG3827BE214174) the hydraulic pump has been very slow to extend the two large slides and front foot levelers. I had this check out at Happy Days RV Sales & Service in Russellville. First we added an additional battery with 750 crank amps to the existing 550 crank amps battery that came with this unit. This helped a little, but worked off and on. Finally, technician discovered a loose wire on back side of hydraulic pump. This seemed to be the problem as both big slides and front foot levelers started working correctley.

So, on May 22, 2012 we struck out on our "Out West Adventure". At every stop, slides went in and out just fine, but eventually problem began again where the two big slides and front foot levelers started working slower again, but they did work. We arrived in Williams, AZ on the 25th of May and again had no problems. We planned to leave for our next destination on June 1, 2012. Thinking we could have a problem away from a large city, I stopped and made an appointment at Camping World in Beaumont, AZ which is located exactly half way between Williams, AZ and Flagstaff, AZ for the day that we were leaving just to make sure everything was ok.

This is when things went horribly wrong. I told the service manager my problem(s), the haydraulic pump and an awning that had gotten twisted from the high winds that we experinced at Meteor Crater just west of Flagstaff, AZ the week before. So, they pulled it in and sure enough, the hydraulic pump was still acting up and the awnig was partially twisted. For this amazing revelation, they charded me $121.00 / hour for something that took 20-30 minutes for a total of $242.00. They then went on to say that I needed a new hydraulic pump. So, trusting what they told me, I agreed for them to order a new pump. The pump cost approximately $649.00 and for overnight shipping, which was 5 days, the price was $379.00 which seemed excessive. They put my unit out side and we hooked up to go to a KOA in Flagstaff, AZ. We arrived at KOA and started to set up, un-hook form RV when I discovered to my amazement that neither slide would go out, nor would the front foot levelers go up in order to drive out from under RV. So, I called Camping World and they said to tap pump and it should work, but I said, what if it works now, but when I come back on Tuesday pump won't work. What do I do then? Their smart a-- remark was that I would have to pay extra for them to send a technician to fix. I asked if there was any way that I could manually lift trailer up and down and they said NO!!!!!! So, I cancelled my reservation, went back to Camping World in Beaumont, AZ and had them lift RV off my truck with a fork lift. Then, we had to go back into Flagstaff, AZ and rent a room for 4 nights at $105.00 / night.

When the pump finally came in, they said it would take 1 1/2 hrs to install. Three (3) hours later, my unit was finally fixed. Total cost of labor, $363.00. Originally, they told me the reason the pump cost to overnight was due to it weighing 45 lbs. I told them that I wanted the old pump (I have it in my possession at this time) and I discovered that it might have weighed 10-15 lbs. They said it was due to the weight of the base plate (which I didn't need). Any way, this long story resulted in my having spent in the neighborhood of $1,650.00 plus tax plus 4 night in a motel @ $105.00 / night for a grand total of $2,060.00. Needless to say, I was pretty steamed. However, the new pump did work fine and today, August 25, 2012, the pump is still working very well. I'm telling all of this to say that I will still buy products from Camping World, but they will never so much as put a screw driver on anything that I own.

Fast forward to two weeks later when we arrived in Cody, WY where I parked next from a gentleman from Ohio. He was in a Big Horn and he inquired if we were Heartland Members and had we been to the rally in Gillette, WY? I told him no, we were not familiar with being a Heartland Member. I related my story above and he told me that I should have called Heartland or Lippert Components and that one or the other would have probably sent me a new pump for free. Free or not, I was not aware of my options at the time, trusting totally on Camping World.

Question, would either Heartland or Lippert Components have sent me a new pump for free? And if not for free, how much would a new pump, exluding the base plate have cost me and how much would it have cost to UPS or Fed-Ex to me?

Thank you for hearing my lenghty story. We have just joined the Heartland Family and we are very pleased with our Grand Canyon. Everything is working smoothly now and we have enjoyed our trip in our Landmark since the disaster with Camping World in Beaumont, AZ. Hopefully, no one else will get treated a badly as we were treated at that Camping World.

If at all possible, we hope to attend the Heartland Rally in June (?). We are going to check the dates and location.

Thanks Again,

Jimmy & Sheila Gosnell - E-mail address: sheila.gosnell@yahoo.com Phone: (Jimmy) 479-880-7225 (Sheila) 479-880-7229

danemayer

Hi Jimmy,

First of all, let me welcome you to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a lot of useful information here and a lot of friendly people who are willing to share their knowledge and experience.

I'm sure what happened to you would have gotten anyone steamed. As to specifics, there are a lot of different Hydraulic Pump assemblies used in the various rigs, so unless someone bought one for a 2011 Landmark (which sounds like it doesn't have the 4 point auto-leveling), it would be hard to say. I have a 2011 Landmark with the 4 point leveling and I think a pump assembly for me would be around $1200 (don't ask how I know that). As far as shipping charges, one way to get that would be from the Fed Ex or UPS website.

As to Heartland or Lippert sending you a pump for free, that's an unknown. Heartland and some of their suppliers do sometimes pay for repairs after the warranty expires, but it's done on an exception basis as a good will gesture and is on a case-by-case basis. So there's no telling what they might have done in this case. HOWEVER, it's not too late to ask. Since Lippert warrants the pump, I'd suggest calling Lippert to discuss. Lippert can also tell you 1) how much the pump sells for, 2) how long it should take to install it, and 3) the approximate expedited shipping charges. If you call Heartland, I would expect they will refer you to Lippert.

I think the best you could hope for with Lippert would be for them to reimburse the cost of the pump and a normal labor charge to install.

Even if Lippert doesn't feel that an exception is justified, the information may help you with Camping World. If it turns out they charged you more than is reasonable (based on the response from Lippert), an escalation to their corporate HQ might get you some money back.

My opinion:

• 2 hours charge for diagnostics that actually took 30 minutes seems outrageous.
  • 3 hours labor to install the pump seems high, especially since they quoted you 1.5.
  • $379 for overnight shipping is high, but FedEx charges by the pound based on distance and might be that high to overnight 45 pounds. 3-day delivery is about 1/3 the price, so maybe you were charged for more than you received.
  • And of course, Camping World seems to have created the emergency by not leaving the pump operational - unnecessarily causing the hotel expense.

I would ask Camping World HQ to reimburse the hotel expense and the excess labor.

You may want to look into getting a service contract with Good Sam or another vendor to limit your expense for future problems. They all have limitations and lots of fine print, but sometimes they can help - there are lots of expensive appliances. A 4 door refrigerator costs around $3,000 and if the cooling unit goes, you can spend quite a bit to get it repaired or replaced.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The only issue that may come up is that you are the second owners, and the warranty for the various components does not always transfer. However, that doesn't give CW the right to gouge you for services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Over the years I have heard only a few good comments and the ones I remember was Katy CW in Texas. Due to some changes at Katy I am not sure I would take my trailer there.

I would always contact Heartland and maybe get a referal to a local dealer or mobil repair.

BC

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you're a Good Sam member, they have a mediator/ombudsman service (you have to write to them, via the magazine) that may help you and intervene if Camping World gives you any trouble. That would be interesting, since GS and CW are affiliated.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I would also suggest, since this problem was with Camping World, to go to the RV.net forum and use the "Camping World Service and Installation Thread" to inform their CEO, Marcus Lemonis, of what happened. This thread is monitored directly by Mr. Lemonis himself, and he WILL get back to you on the situation. He is making it his goal to not have one unsatisfied customer at Camping World, and from what I've seen in the last year, he is making good on that promise, one customer at a time...give it a try!!!