LED Tail lights

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I just finished changing out the factory tail lights to LED's. They are on sale at Harbor Freight through tomorrow for $12.99. This is a 10 minute job and well worth it for the extra lumination. I know a few of us had talked about them at the rally. A couple of pictures are attached. Not lit though.

Attachments

• 119-1979_IMG.JPG
    119-1979_IMG.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 119-1980_IMG.JPG
    119-1980_IMG.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 143

Forrest Fetherolf

Ray,

That's funny, I was looking at the led lights in the Harbor Freight sale catalog the same time you posted. They also have a 2000 watt inverter for $149.99 that will run my air compressor when not connected to 120v power or running the Onan. I'll be heading to their store tomorrow.

Forrest

nscaler2

Ray LeTourneau said:
I just finished changing out the factory tail lights to LED's. They are on sale at Harbor Freight through tomorrow for $12.99. This is a 10 minute job and well worth it for the extra lumination. I know a few of us had talked about them at the rally. A couple of pictures are attached. Not lit though.
Ray,
I'm gonna ask a stupid question here, but how did the old lights come out. What did you have to do to remove them. Do they just pop out or are there fasteners under the black rubber rings around the lights. Thanks in advance.

Forrest Fetherolf

nscaler2,

To remove the rear tail lights, carefully push the light and grommet inside the tail cone, don't drop them inside, remove the rubber grommet from light, pull out the grommet and light, disconnect electrical. To install, reverse procedure, only install grommet in opening before installing light in grommet.

Forrest

jbeletti

Nice job Ray.

If anyone is looking for an entire LED kit (rear plus other marker lights), I believe Recreational Specialties in Elkhart has kits for Heartland units. The side markers have chrome hardware around them too. I think the kits are in the $250 range.

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Forrest Fetherolf said:
nscaler2,

To remove the rear tail lights, carefully push the light and grommet inside the tail cone, don't drop them inside, remove the rubber grommet from light, pull out the grommet and light, disconnect electrical. To install, reverse procedure, only install grommet in opening before installing light in grommet.

Forrest
Right on Forrest! In addition, I used the old rubber grommet from the factory lights. I tried the grommet supplied with the Harbor Frt. light and had trouble getting the light fixture into the grommet. the OEM grommets worked fine. I had to use a little soapy water to get the light into the grommet.

nscaler2

Forrest Fetherolf said:
nscaler2,

Forrest
Thanks Forrest:)