Need to Replace Our Portable Gas Grill

SilverRhino

We need to replace our portable gas grill and I am trying to decide which one to purchase.

I have been looking at the Weber 200, that gets great reviews, and had pretty much decided that was what we were going to get. Looking at them, they cost $200 no matter where I buy it.

Just the past few days I have seen a couple of different ads for the Coleman Companion, which would save me about $50.

My question is......Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Coleman grill?? and what was the reasoning for purchasing it over the Weber??

Appreciate any comments or input.

Travel Safe!

Duramax1

You will not be disappointed buying a Weber. It is a "real" barbeque (albeit powered by propane not charcoal) not a grill stove.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We had the Webber grill for a long time. Used the small cylinders and went to the 20lb bottle. Got to be a pain to cart them around all the time and the 20lb got heavy to move in and out all the time.

The grill got where it would not light in a wind so I got a wind guard and it still didn't like to light. Got rid of it and got a Webber Electic grill. So far it always works and it will grill as good as the propane.

FWIW.
BC

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Randy... I bought the coleman and decided to test drive it before we headed to Gilette for the Rally. Good thing, one of the burners would not light, one of the propane supply tubes was screwed into a position that was not anywhere near where it should be. After attempting to take it apart and fix it, I was convinced that it was not of very good quality in total. I took it back to Academy Sports and they courteously refunded my money.

Bksvo

I guess it depends on how much real estate you want to cook on. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with a Weber (I have one at home), but for camping I have a Coleman http://www.coleman.com/product/roadtrip-grill-lxe/2000005493. This is a lot bigger than the weber, and a touch cheaper. It has plenty of space for cooking, gets very hot, and folds up nicely to fit in the basement. I do use the camping bottles, but you can get setups to use the campers propane.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have both the Coleman Road Kill, or what ever it's called, and the Weber.
I only use the Weber. Much better in MHO.

Peace
Dave

PeternLiane

The Weber is one of the best grills you can buy. We had a RVQ and used a coleman. Now I use a Weber (gas) and a Cobb Grill (charcoal). It just depends on how many people we're with for the one I use They are both best in the world.

GOTTOYS

It has to be a Weber. Easy to clean, no flare ups, cast iron grate should last forever. I have a Q 100 and it's all we use anymore at home or on the road. We also got the Weber folding stand and cover. I just love this grill...Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Another vote here for the WeberQ. Rhino, do you really need the larger sized 200? Ours is a 100 and there's plenty of room for 4 average steaks at least 18 brats or hot dogs. And only $150

loafer

Webber BBQ 100 is great .Just 2 of us so grill is plenty big enuf.We have used it for 3 years now and no issues . We use disposable bottles for convenience sake although they dont seem to get refilled so are not environmentally friendly.
Great quality construction with a heavy cast grill for even heat .
We would buy another no question
Bill

Rickhansen

Can't speak to the Coleman question. The WeberQ 200 has 2 burners, and the 100 has one. If you do any indirect grilling, the 200 is a bit easier to work with.

Niles

Well I have another option for you, it's a Holland companion. We love this grill have the bigger version at the house and carry this one with us. Never have to worry about burning the brats or anything else for that matter, it's all about timing for cooking. And one more thing this gill will do that I don't think the others can do is bake a cake!!http://www.hollandgrill.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.detail/prodID/2/index.htm Check it out, you never know, you might like it.

Rickhansen

Well, dang! My bad.

I had to go look. My Weber Q is a 300, not a 200. But it does have 2 burners. Check it out here

Now, y'all need to upgrade to keep up with me.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Well, dang! My bad.

I had to go look. My Weber Q is a 300, not a 200. But it does have 2 burners. Check it out here

Now, y'all need to upgrade to keep up with me.
No big deal, I learn something new most every day. I've looked at the 300 when they first came out. As soon as my Genesis gold needs to be replaced, I'll be looking at the 300 again. I love the way the Q's cook. No hot spots and even heat. I can fill the grill with brats from end to end and they all cook at the same rate. Love it!