Electric Water Heater Switch

Tom of Ypsi

Can any one tell me what this switch does? It is located in the entry closet and lights up when turned on but does not seem to work. Maybe I am just impatient and it takes longer than expected to heat the hot water tank.

Gary F

This switch works in conjunction with another switch located behind the outside access panel for your hot water heater. After you remove the access panel look to the lower left corner, you will see a black thumb switch that has a cotter key keeping it from being turned on. Remove the key and turn the switch one.
Now you can utilize the electrical heating element for the hot watertank after you turn on the switch that you had mentioned inside the broom closet.

:)

Tom of Ypsi

Gar, Thanks for the quick replay. I have done all of that. I probably did not wait long enough. My wife gets upset when it does not work right away and there are no written instructions. I just revert to propane usage and save the arguments. Will do this next week. Again, thanks.

jbeletti

Hey Tom,

Be careful with using electricity for hot water. Just be certain that your hot water tank is filled with water. If the electrode is not covered with water when you hit both switches to ON, you will fry the electrode. I did it in my last TT. Gave me all sorts of electrical fits until I figured out what had happened.

Don';t get me wrong, it can be done and you can use both electricity and gas at the same time on the DSI models. Gives you fast recovery times. Just make sure you have water coming out of your hot water taps before hitting the inside switch.

Best of luck and let us know how you come out.

Jim