TST observations.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hey all,

Just some interesting findings on our TST. We finally bit the bullet and bought full metal valve stems for the 5 wheels. We reinstalled the TST, and after half a day, one was signaling a low tire. DH checked the valve cores and found all of them were lose, and tightened them. I proceeded to change the batteries and rubber washers inside each of the sensors, to make sure they were operating correctly. This morning I aired the tires all to 80, and put the sensors on again. I tracked the temp and PSI throughout the day, while the rig sat in front of the house.

According to the monitors, the tires were all sightly over 80psi (so the gauge on the pump is slightly off). Here are the psi/temps throughout the day:

10am 84/84* , 84/84* , 85/93* , 86/95*
11am 84/86 , 85/84 , 87/102 , 88/102
12pm 84/90 , 85/86 , 87/104 , 88/106
1pm 85/93 , 86/91 , 87/104 , 87/102
2pm 85/95 , 86/93 , 86/93 , 86/95
3pm 86/97 , 86/95 , 84/93 , 85/93
4pm 87/97 , 88/95 , 84/90 , 85/91
5pm 86/95 , 86/91 , 84/88 , 85/90
8pm 85/88 , 85/84 , 84/84 , 84/86
10pm 84/84 , 84/82 , 82/82 , 84/84

Note, this is at a standstill, not moving.

Owenfamily

I had the same numbers show up this past weekend when we went to Hotsprings Ark. I will let you know on the way back what I get.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't see anything unusual. The readings will vary a bit depending on ambient temperatures and sun exposure.
Did you have much trouble with them little stinkin "O-rings"? I couldn't believe they would stretch that far.:eek:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
what is really weird is to check your pressures on the sunny side versus the shady side. You will find the sunny side 3-8 psi higher. Be sure the pressures all started the same. If you want to be amazed try 'shooting' the sunny side and shady side with a laser temperature gauge and you will find a big difference in temperature too. I think what you found was normal.

Owenfamily

When we left the house this past weekend everything was right around 80 PSI. As we made the worst trip down 380 to hit 30 which I will never do during the day time long as I live again the tire presurre went up to the numbers you are showing. I call a few tire places and they said it will vary from tire to tire and the temp reading will get higher in stop and go traffic.

TravelTiger

I don't see anything unusual. The readings will vary a bit depending on ambient temperatures and sun exposure.
Did you have much trouble with them little stinkin "O-rings"? I couldn't believe they would stretch that far.:eek:

Ray, I'm early 40s and I thought, where'd it go? Once I got the bugger started. You gotta really eagle- eye that sucker and have three hands to get those skinny o-rings on. The thicker washers in the valve stem connection weren't easy either. I emailed TST a pic to see if they thought they needed replacement, and they said yes, they looked a little compressed and could cause leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manzan

I have had the TST on for four trips so far and sun exposure really does make a difference. I try to get pressure set when the tires are not in the sun and go from there. Still tend to feel the tires on trailer and TV every stop out of habit.

wingfoot

While we are on this subject, I just made my first trip after installing my TST system...When I checked the tires with a hand held inferred gauge the readings were dramatically different. I got readings of 105* to 112* on the monitor...The inferred readings reflected over 124* (ambient Temp. at 96*) . I guess I'm wondering where the TST system derives it's readings...

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
The TST monitors are out in the air stream. I'm sure that accounts for some differences.

iPhone using Tapatalk

usnthedog

I installed mine a few months ago but did a lot of setting in a park. I checked them first thing in the morning, 6:00a and found the pressures stayed consistent. Then took it on a trip north. Set in a park for 4 days and when I got ready to leave I had a low tire. We were headed back so every morning I added 10 psi or so to the tire and headed home. I felt safe traveling with the tire and waited until I got home to fix it. I used a Viair 300P to fill it up. Nice compressor. One thing I did also was to mount the monitor on a felt covered board that sets on the dash. I can take it with me into the trailer for early morning checks or to the tire to check the monitor after I filled it. I run trailer and rear tire but I going to spring for two extras for the front. My low tire convinced me of the need.

Jeff

TravelTiger

Used our TST with the repeater installed, as well as new batteries in the sensors. Was very pleased... No lost sensors, and no unusual readings.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk