Take it easy on the Heartland wannabe!

rneals

I just registered a few minutes ago. Over the years we've been through many camping methods. Starting with tents and popups with the kids. Tried a small pickup camper after kids for a while. Then tried a Casita trailer (too small) for a couple of years. I'm retired and my wife retires in January so we are thinking about buying a travel trailer for some extended trips. I've spent a lot of time on the web researching and seem to to drawn to the Heartland North Trail models. My primary candidate at the moment is the FX21 but the 21FBS and FX235 are also in the running. I'm going to be looking for people's opinions on the whole line and these models in particular. I also hope to connect with owners of these models close enough to Manhattan, KS so I might be able to actually see them instead of just looking a pictures. I've had no luck finding dealers in the area with these models in stock.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
rneals, Welcome to the Heartland Forum. I've only had exposure to the North Trail line through the forum and while there have been a few issues, I think overall folks are pleased with them. I can speak for Heartlands customer service and how great it is. I've been a member of the forum and an owner for 6 years and am still very pleased. Sure, we had a few issues early on but nothing major and really, none in the last 3 years. Most issues were related to the fridge and microwave.
Good luck with your search and we hope to have you as an owner soon. It's the right time to buy!!

jpdoggett

rneals
Welcome to the forum, Like Ray said the Heartlands customer service is great try calling Heartland Sales and they may be able to find on close to you. We live in Kansas also and we bought ours in Texas

TeJay

Hi meals,
We had a 24RBS and while it was good there were some problems that we did not recognize until we got it and used it for several trips. We never actually saw the RBS unit until we got it which was our fault. There were three major problems that one needs to be aware of when shopping. We've had slides before and we just never considered the fact that a slide would not come out as little as this one did. The kitchen slide only came out about 19". We did not realize that a slide in a major living area only came out that small amount. That means the kitchen and eating area was really cramped. That is not obvious from pictures and drawings. The second problem was the sloped front and the fact that the master bedroom was in the front. Making the bed was very difficult and the headroom at the head of the bed was limited. The third problem was the lack of room to hang clothes. When you use your camper mostly on weekends that's not a problem. When you live in it for 4-8 weeks and travel from the cold north to the warm south and need two seasons of clothes then it becomes a problem. I made some shelves in the front area closet and folded most of my stuff but we both needed some hangup area and while we had one it was small. When you get small campers (less than say 28' and not a fifth wheel) you can't have it all. However these three issues can be addressed by different floor plans. The slide needs to come out around 40". If the master bedroom is in the rear where the back wall is straight you don't have the slope to deal with. A wardrobe slide really opens up a bedroom and provides good storage. Some have bedroom slides that also really open up that area. Many of the smaller campers will have 1-3 slides. They do add weight and cost but they really make a shorter/lighter camper much more workable. Best of luck in your search. There are many here on these forums who have already made the mistakes that you are trying to avoid so a word to the wise.

TeJay

caissiel

We have been camping for the past 20 years and full timing for 7 years. This our 3rd unit and everyone was an improvement for replacement of an older unit that was going to need repairs, more then I was ready to do. We have been satisfied with every unit and the best unit of the 3 is this HL that we tow with a F250 6.0L Diesel. As for fuel economy it is the best, compared to a Ford Ranger 1/4 Ton and 3/4 Ton GM Diesel. Do not judge a trailer due to the size and weight. Weight takes effect in the hills and larger gives open space, like a friend told me once and I bought a 24ft 5th wheel towed with the 1/4Ton Ranger. It was great vacation unit anf we did 50K miles with it witout one incident. One only flat tire on older tires before buying 4 new ones.
We do tow a house, but its the one that makes us comfortable, and enjoy towing and traveling with. and believe me, this HL trailer is the best unit to tow I have ever had.

ZNK

Welcome!

If you could give us an idea of what you intend to use the rig for we could better direct you to a model or size. What kind of tow vehicle do you have? Will it just be you and your wife?

rneals

My wife and I will use it for a couple of long trips (say 1 month) a year. The rest would probably only be a few 1 week or less trips a year and some occasional weekends. We have no plans or desire to try to "live" in the trailer. It is just for traveling while stopping for 2 or 3 nights where we want to. The execption will be Feb 2013 when we plan to spend a month or so in San Diego for the arrival of our second grandchild.

I'm looking for a new small to mid size (under 30') high quality, dual axle, aluminum/fiberglass vacum bonded travel trailer. We also require a walk around queen bed because we got tired of crawling over each other in the Casita. After last Saturday on dealer lots we decided that a sofa slideout is needed to gain some open space and comfortable seating since most dinettes are not. I'd like to have a heated, enclosed underbelly for winter travel like our Feb trip. I'm not interested in a fifth wheel. My current primay interests are the FX21 and 21FBS. We might consider a bunkhouse model (say an FX235 or Passport 245RB) in case we decide to take a couple grandkids along in the future. I've focused :rolleyes: on the Focus line for the smaller frontal profile and lower weight for ease of towing and economy.

My tow vechicle is a half ton 2007 GMC Sierra with the Vortec Max 6L engine and added towing equipment to achieve a 10,500# trailer rating. Any trailer I'm interested in will be less than half of that.

Keep the opinions coming, I'm listening. I'd really like to hear from FX21 and 21FBS owners especially if they are close enought to Manhattan, KS that I might be able to come look at the trailer.

Thanks,
Dick Smith

TeJay

meals,
First, as ZINK said. It helps to know your intended use and TV. Earlier I responded with some issues that we had with the 24-FBS (Front Bedroom with Slide). You mentioned three other considerations 21FBS, FX-21 and the FX-235. The 21-FBS 26' long and DW of 4,500. Not a bad choice but check on the issues that I mentioned earlier. The FX-21 is 24' long and a DW of 4,075. The FX-235 is 27' with a DW of 4,800 but no slide. We've had them with and without a slide. I would never have a camper without a slide. They are even more critical if you are trying to stay below the 28' length and with the choices you've listed that seems to be the case. The TV that you have is a concern when making choices which I'm sure you know. I don't know if this is an issue but concerns with pulling/backing a TT that is longer than you might currently be comfortable with was a concern on our first TT. After a few hundred miles of towing and backing those concerns went away and we both wished that we had gotten a TT that was just a few feet longer. We still did not want to go over 30 feet but when you are trying to live in your camper for extended periods of time 4-8 weeks those extra few feet can make a really big difference. The first time I had to back our TT (26-feet) into its spot at home took 20-30 minutes. With the Wife guiding me there was a lot of discussion and frustration. The second TT (29') 18 months later I backed it in on the first try. The parking spot is under a carport about 150 feet backing up a steep road into a curved drive. You mentioned it already that you want to see other units. That's a great idea.

TeJay

Gaffer

I am only addressing the depth of the slide issue. I have never seen a 40" slide on any RV regardless of size or cost.

TeJay

OK,
I can't verify the depth of the slide since the TT was totaled last month and the dealer does not have another one that I can measure. I may be slightly off but not by much. If it wasn't 40" then it was 38" or 39" deep. The point being it opened the living area a lot more than the 19" that the 24-RBS did.

meals, Some models also have an option for a kitchen table with 4 dining chairs instead of the dinette. I agree that the dinettes are not very comfortable. That's all we've ever had until the last unit. We ordered the table with 4 chairs and left 2 of the chairs at home. That really gives you a lot of extra room and ability to move some things around. We bought 2 folding chairs that stored easily and still gave us the option of having a comfortable sitting arrangement if company came.

TeJay

PeternLiane

We looked through a lot of trailers when we were looking for our trailer. The majority had a lot of quality issues. We looked the Focus editions and the North Trails. When it came down to the end we had two main Heartland Trailers we wanted. They were the 21FBS and the 22FBS. The 21FBS and the 22FBS are practically the same thing with one exception. The 22FBS has the couch sleeper. Quality, size and weight were the main factors in our decision. We chose the 22FBS because of the couch sleeper that it had along with the big dinette. The slide opens the inside up very well. The enormous counter space that this trailer has is awesome. The storage is just as awesome. It was hard to make the bed at first. However, I laid down the self stick tiles under the bed onto the particle board. Now the bed slides in and out with ease and allows us to make the bed very easily. The storage in the 22FBS is great. I have places to store my shirts and pants on hangers. I never had that in the SOB. We have places to hang all of my wife's clothes in her closet and in the bathroom closet. With the counter in our unit I can cook on the stove and my wife can cook in an electric skillet on the other side. We can both use the sink in the middle when we need to. We love our unit and will be using it for many years to come.

I think that the 21FBS is great also. You can extend the particle board under the bed to extend the bed to a regular queen bed and not keep the short queen. Just put the tiles down over the board and you'll love it.

rneals

Peter and Liane,

Thanks for the input. The 22FBS trailer is certainly nice and spacious for a mid size but I feel like it is pushing my desired pricepoint and size limitation a bit. If I were to consider it, I think there are other trailers I might have to also consider such as the V-Cross Vibe 826VFK. At this point I'm trying to resist moving my target up. I'm still hoping to find a smaller trailer that meets our needs.

Why did you go with the FBS instead of a Focus? Is is simply a size/layout difference or did you notice a difference in quality? I have yet to actually be in one of either series. I may be able to see the FX21 next weekend when we make a quick trip to CA to visit my daughter. I will get to see a 21FBS in early Oct when a friend will be passing through with one. But right now, I'm relying on other's experience and opinions.

Thanks,
Dick Smith

PeternLiane

Peter and Liane,

Thanks for the input. The 22FBS trailer is certainly nice and spacious for a mid size but I feel like it is pushing my desired pricepoint and size limitation a bit. If I were to consider it, I think there are other trailers I might have to also consider such as the V-Cross Vibe 826VFK. At this point I'm trying to resist moving my target up. I'm still hoping to find a smaller trailer that meets our needs.

Why did you go with the FBS instead of a Focus? Is is simply a size/layout difference or did you notice a difference in quality? I have yet to actually be in one of either series. I may be able to see the FX21 next weekend when we make a quick trip to CA to visit my daughter. I will get to see a 21FBS in early Oct when a friend will be passing through with one. But right now, I'm relying on other's experience and opinions.

Thanks,
Dick Smith

We looked at the passports. We really didn't like the lack of visible quality after only a year of regular use of the passport. We could pull them and the price was comparable. We looked at the V-Cross too. We couldn't go that heavy. Our 22FBS weighs 5400 LBS fully loaded (Includes about 5 gals of fresh water, 6 gals of water in the water heater and about 3 on the black tank.). It also cost around 2000 dollars less. But you'll find different price points for every unit through out the states.

The Focus editions that we looked at were FX21 and FX23. The quality was the same across all of them. That part we really liked it. We looked at each for many months and many trailers for about a year. What it came down to was we liked the slide across from the kitchen in each. We liked how the TV could be seen by everyone at the same time. In some of the other units one person faced the TV and the other persons back was to it. Each of the NT's and FX's were comfortable. We knew that we could pull each very easily. We liked that both 21's and the 23 we could extend the bed and get a full size queen bed. We liked the storage that each offered. The quality showed itself in each of these units. When it came down to it we really liked the counter space in the 22FBS. We liked the couch where our guests could come in and sit. We also liked the extra sleeper that it gave us.

In both of the 21's you'll like the fact that you can walk around the bed. Put the tiles down under the bed and it can be made much easier (a great mod that we found out about and did). You'll like that everyone is across from the counter and the TV. Nobody has to keep turning around to see whats going on. You'll like how it opens up when the slide goes out.

When you get to see them you'll see the quality in both.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
We have the 24RBS and the small depth kitchen slide is more than enough for us, it is amazing how much it opens up the trailer. And we have plenty of room for everything we need and don't forget you can also put anything "overflow" in the back of you truck. And also the storage in the pass through compartment in the front holds a lot of stuff.

One thing to take note of is how low to the ground some of the North Trails are, we have never hit anything, but have come extremely close and the sewer connection has drug on the ground a bit before. My husband just shortened the sewer connection 2 inches so that should do the trick. But on the other hand the low profile makes this trailer very easy to tow.

If you buy one take a long time going through it and look at everything, we found a lot of shoddy workmanship that we didn't notice with our "we love this trailer goggles " on, but all in all we are happy with it. I'd probably never get another trailer with a slide out, we have had nothing but problems with it leaking. It took forever to try and get it fixed and we still cringe when it rains a lot.

It's just like anything you buy these days, there doesn't seem to be any pride in workmanship.

rneals

I'd probably never get another trailer with a slide out, we have had nothing but problems with it leaking. It took forever to try and get it fixed and we still cringe when it rains a lot.

Marge,

Thanks for the input. Your comment about a slide has also been a concern of mine; until recently I was trying to avoid them. I'm curious how others feel. They definitely open up a small space but are they worth the extra cost, weight, possible increased maintenance and leaks? How common are slide problems? Do the leaks happen only when it is open? I noticed that you can purchase slide awnings; are they available to alleviate slide leakage while open?

Thanks,
Dick

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I would assume that the number of slide problems are small in comparison to the number of trailers with slides. If there were alot of issues, trailers would not come with 3,4 and even 5 slides. I personally would not be without a slide. Our first few trailers did not have a slide and we called them an "excuse me trailer". At the end of a week long trip, we must have said "excuse me" to each other a thousand times. We now have a trailer with apposing slide in the living area. Wow, the room it created. This trailer is the same size as our last, but it feels like so much more space. They do add cost and weight, so they do have down falls. That is why they make hundreds af different models of all sizes and layouts, with and without slides.

Good luck in your Choice.

TeJay

We've had slides in all but our first and would not have one without. Again it depends on how you intend on using your camper. If you travel with pets as we do (cat & dog) you need the room. Where do you put the cat box???? Any time you take trips other than a few days or even a week you will be constantly tripping over and walking around things, stuff and people. We've never had mechanical problems with any slide. They are mechanical and anything is possible but they have been around for many years and I believe the industry has worked out a lot of the kinks. We've never had awnings over the slides. They are intended to keep stuff from getting on top. But stuff can blow under the awning and then get trapped. Depending on color they will reflect heat, provide a layer circulating air between the awning and slide keeping the slide area a little cooler. Living in the desert SW I might consider awnings. An awning won't always keep out water. It's mechanical which adds another thing that can break.

TeJay

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
Marge,

Thanks for the input. Your comment about a slide has also been a concern of mine; until recently I was trying to avoid them. I'm curious how others feel. They definitely open up a small space but are they worth the extra cost, weight, possible increased maintenance and leaks? How common are slide problems? Do the leaks happen only when it is open? I noticed that you can purchase slide awnings; are they available to alleviate slide leakage while open?

Thanks,
Dick
I don't want to get acused of bashing. We had a lot of ongoing problems when we got our trailer last year. The majority of them were the ongoing slide leak, no it didn't leak when it was in or going down the road. We have an awning topper and we like it, it keeps crap from falling on the top of the slide.

The best thing for you to do is to do a search on the forum "slide leaks" and draw your own conclusions.

Here you go:
//heartlandowners.org/search.php?searchid=2238379

Lack of sufficient chaulking was a big issue for us, we took care of that ourselves.

rneals

Marge,

No reason to apologize, everyone has different experiences and opinions. I'm listening to them all. At this point I agree that they are worth it, I just wanted to make sure they were not also a pain in the xxx.

By the way I love your quote "All who wander are not lost." I have a favorite t-shirt with that on it.

I've found a 22FBS and 24FBS close that we will try to see next week. I hope to see an FX21 next weekend. That should help firm up our goals.

Thanks for everyone's opinions,
Dick