Big Horn Bathroom door on the 3010 RE.

8paws

Has anyone out there, gotten frustrated enough, with the bathroom door opening so close to the step, to change the door opening to the opposite side? It seems like that would provide privacy when coming out of the bathroom from the shower, and you would always be on a level landing when entering and exiting the bathroom? Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. We have a 3010 RE Bighorn

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our's is the same single hallway door hinged on the right and it doesn't really bother me. Once in a while, coming from the bdrm while half asleep, I have come close to the steps.

Even so, since I spend 9 out of 10 times in the bathroom coming from the rear of the rig, I would not change the hinge to the left.

That would be awkward having to walk all the way into the bedroom, turn around and open the door just to walk in. (For me anyway). Trace

Last edited:

Westwind

We have a 3070RL and we use the hall bath door rather then the one that opens up into the bedroom. We keep that closed because we have a towel rack hanging on it. I'm up at least 2 times a night and so far I've made it in and out and back to bed without an incident. I suppose I could put a thick rope and two hooks accross the top step so I don't go down it. But so far so good. At least we don't have to step down like the old FW floorplans. Thats where you could get into trouble.

sengli

Well, we have a 3260RS, and the door in bathroom was too close to the stairs too. It just opened the wrong way. A pocket door would have been the best answer there in the bathroom. I actually slipped on the carpeted stairs coming out of the bathroom, and fell which caused me to brake my wrist. So I have removed the doors from the bedroom and bathroom completely. It really has opened the coach up even more than ever. Plus I took about 60lbs out the coach. Since its just DW, and I in the coach having the doors gone is no big deal.

Garypowell

We have a 3010 with this door arrangement and we did not notice the "problem" until the first night when we both slipped down the stairs. We just made the rule that every time we exit we step down one stair. No problem since.

In reality it would be easy to remove the door and even put up a shower curtain rod and some attractive curtain.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
This is my main frustration with these bathrooms, in all HL lines. I don't want to fall down the stairs trying to get in or out of the bathroom. We have pocket doors and love them. Don't know why they went to a swing door for the hallway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
This idea was on our order on our 3010re... The factory didn't do it , our Dealer will honor our request...only using the unit one night before winterizing we are still unsure if we're going to have it done.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Greg you are right to use the rig and give yourself time to really know if the change is necessary for you guys! Smart thinking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk H

Last edited:

Garypowell

I forgot to mention that I also installed three outdoor type 12 V lights that are used for steps outside. Beside one of them is a switch and the first person up the stairs when it gets dark outside turns them on. We use this as a nightlight too and it works great for defining the stairs and have not had any missteps since installing them.

Next time I am behind the basement wall I am going to hook in the outside stair light to this circuit.

If anyone has ever used a 12 Volt day/night sensor I'd love to hear about it.

dewwood

We use a battery operated motion sensing light in our bedroom which lights the area to the bath sufficiently to see when we get up in the night. It has three LED lights that are adjustable. Someone here suggested it and it works great. I believe we got it at Menards.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
Thanks for the idea of the small motion light !!! We were also looking about lighted steps. On the new Gateway led 6 inch string lights were installed on the steps, were thinking about installing them but now humm??

happykraut

When we ordered our 2014RE, we had the factory install the door with the hinges on the left. Works great for us.

pegmikef

We didn't specify anything about the bathroom door when we ordered ours and it came on the left. I just assumed they were all like that.

Theresau

Our hinges are on the left. We added a magnetic door stop that keeps the door open. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011N0LP4/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Works great even when we are traveling. When showering we close half way - that way we can go right into the bedroom (miss the sliding door to bedroom in our 2010BH).

We didn't specify anything about the bathroom door when we ordered ours and it came on the left. I just assumed they were all like that.