Sofa air bed defect

ericjaime

Sorry for the long post but I am a bit frustrated.:(

A internal seam must have let loose on my air bed for the sofa. I only got to use this 3 times while the inlaws stayed with us on some trips. Last week one of the small tubular air chambers that run width wise let loose and we ended up with a large bumb that ran the entire width of the bed right across the shoulder blades. It held air the whole time. It just went from the multiple small chambers to one large one in that area. Lets just say they didn't get much good sleep last week. They even tried sleeping on it with their head on the foot end of the bed so the bumb was about by their knees.

My camper is 1 year and 4 months old and Heartland said they couldn't help me with replacing it under warranty. The only option they gave me was to talk to the parts dept. and they could order me a new air bed. I understand the camper only has a 1 year warranty, but come on only 3 uses and the bed is shot. Obviously there was a defect with the seam.

Has anyone else had any problems with their air bed. I would hate to spend money on another one only to have it go bad in another year. Or does anyone else know of any other options I might have to put on the sofa to make a somewhat comfortable bed.

Thanks,
Eric

danemayer

Hi Eric,

Sorry you're having problems with the bed. I'm surprised Heartland didn't suggest you call the sofa manufacturer to ask for help. I'm pretty sure the manufacturer actually fulfills the warranty and would be in a better position to send you a replacement mattress. If you don't have the manufacturer's contact information, I'd suggest calling Heartland back to ask for the manufacturer's information.

There was another thread last week involving an out of warranty failure handled by Seating Technologies (a Lippert Company) where Heartland contacted them and they replaced the mattress. Don't know if you have the same manufacturer, but a few more phone calls might be worthwhile.

Westwind

The manufacturer of the couch might be Flair, they are the company that manufacturered the chairs and couch in our 2012 Bighorn.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My 2011 BH has a Flair sofa.
I would give them a call.
Flair Interiors
(574) 534-2163

Peace
Dave

ericjaime

The manufacturer of the couch might be Flair, they are the company that manufacturered the chairs and couch in our 2012 Bighorn.
I went thru my papers yesterday and found the Air bed start-up guide for the bed. It gave a 800 number to call, so I called it today. You are right is is Flair.

They were absolutely helpless. I spoke to the customer service department first and explained my situation. All they did was offer me a new bed from their outlet store for a price of $100.00, which they said was a deal compared to buying it thru my rv dealer. I then asked if I could talk to their warranty department. I ended up getting the same thing from them. They said there is only a 1 year warranty on the bed and they would not honor anything past that. Not even 1 day, because they do not actually make the bed. They just make the couch and purchase the air bed from another source. Since they don't make the bed they said they would have to take a 100 percent loss on the bed, (something they weren't willing to do) if they sent me a new one because they wouldn't be able to get reimbursed for a new air bed on their end. They also directed my to their outlet store to purchase a new bed as my option.

I guess the person involved with their bed being replaced by seating technologies (a Lippert Company) was in luck their furniture was made by them and not Flair, or they would probably be in the same situation I am in.

I would think any air mattress should fit, so I think my next step will be to see if I can find one locally. Does anyone know a good brand air bed to buy that may last a while.

Thanks again,
Eric

danemayer

Does your mattress have the pump that inflates and deflates it? If so, it might be hard to find a replacement for less than $100 that's compatible.

ericjaime

Does your mattress have the pump that inflates and deflates it? If so, it might be hard to find a replacement for less than $100 that's compatible.

Yes I have a pump that uses 4 D size batteries that inflates the bed. You are right most beds that I am looking at are right around $100 and they also come with their own pump. I guess I am just looking for my options as to what might be the best quality bed out there for me to spend my $100 on. Right now I found a bed made by Aerobed that seems to have good reviews. I will keep looking and see what else I can find. They all seem to come in the standard queen size that would fit the couch perfect.

RCF

Sorry for the troubles with it, as I can sympathize. It does sound like something was wrong with it, as we had a Flair couch/air mattress in our previous SOB TT and never had an issues with 4yrs of fairly regular useage. As much as it would tick me off to have to replace it after only 3-4 uses, I'd be cautious about buying something that wasn't as durable (when no defects are present).

Boca_Shuffles

One of the things that you have to be careful about is that the mattress only has a 300 lb. rating. This generally means only one adult.

jcarnevale

We have two of the Flaire sofa beds in our Sundance and use them half a dozen times a year with no issues. We are very careful with them as others have reported holes being caused by pinching in the sofa mechanism. We have the heavier mattress in the picture below, not the cheaper thin mil gauge it looks like Flaire sell for $90 on there Outlet web page. Both have built in electric inflators.

This one can be purchased at Pete's RV Center:

airbed.jpg

http://www.petesrvparts.com/parts_store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=1216

This one is at the Flaire Outlet Store:
54AIRMATTCOMBO_LRG.jpg
https://www.flairoutlet.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24&products_id=129

RollingHome

Is this true folks, do our sofa air beds have a 300 pound weight limit ? If so, this means 2 kids only... Wow !!! If so, this is good to know...

ghosst666

had a hole in the end of mattress by the pump..must have pinched in the fold up by previous owner .is there a way to fold these up with safety..thought i saw a video on here about it ,but cant find now HELP

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Is this true folks, do our sofa air beds have a 300 pound weight limit ? If so, this means 2 kids only... Wow !!! If so, this is good to know...

Weight limits vary based on mattress sizes and product lines.
Flairs seem have these limits.
Twin
Full 400 lbs
Flair 150 Queen 500 lbs
Intex queen 600 lbs

ankie3467

We used our bed twice and it went flat both times, sent the matteress in and they sent it back saying it had pinch points that was not covered under warrenty. They circled spots, we fixed them, held air in the house for 2 weeks, put it back in camper and used again this weekend, and **** thing flat again! Now looking for a new one. We use it a couple of weekends during the summer and a week elk hunting. I am seriously thinking of one I can just put on the floor. Anybody got any ideas?

GOTTOYS

We used our bed twice and it went flat both times, sent the matteress in and they sent it back saying it had pinch points that was not covered under warrenty. They circled spots, we fixed them, held air in the house for 2 weeks, put it back in camper and used again this weekend, and **** thing flat again! Now looking for a new one. We use it a couple of weekends during the summer and a week elk hunting. I am seriously thinking of one I can just put on the floor. Anybody got any ideas?
We've never used ours..not sure it even has one. Why not fix the leak again and leave it on the floor this time. No more worries about pinching it...Don