Cold RV, Hard to Keep Warm

Snowtek

I have a 2011 Landmark Augusta and I've got to tell you, this is the coldest hardest to get warm RV I have ever had ( this is our 6th]). nIs any one else experienceing this problem or do I need to remove the underbelly to check for missing Insulation.
The slides are extremely cold but I understand that heartland does not insulate the slides.
The coldest temp we experienced was 25 degrees for four days and we used a full 40 lb. tank just to keep warm with our coats on.

PUG

Pug
Re: Cold rv

I had a Cyclone 3950 and the wind blew through it. It was poorly insulated and not tight but a toyhauler isn't really meant to be an all weather trl from what I have been told but an Augusta! That doesn't sound right.

jjriker

That has not been our experience, thankfully. This spring we were out in the fiver when temps were running in mid 30s, and the rig stayed nice and toasty. More recently we had 40 degree temps on a trip to the Adirondacks. We didn't even run the heat, just turned on the fireplace in the morning, and it warmed right up. Do you have dual pane windows?

danemayer

I have a 2011 Landmark Augusta and I've got to tell you, this is the coldest hardest to get warm RV I have ever had ( this is our 6th]). nIs any one else experienceing this problem or do I need to remove the underbelly to check for missing Insulation.
The slides are extremely cold but I understand that heartland does not insulate the slides.
The coldest temp we experienced was 25 degrees for four days and we used a full 40 lb. tank just to keep warm with our coats on.

Hi Snowtek,

We've winter camped in Breckenridge, CO for two seasons now with temps as low as -30 degrees F. The furnace runs a lot and we also use the fireplace a lot. And when it's really cold, we also fire up a ceramic disc heater. But 25 degrees is pretty balmy for our 2011 Landmark.

danemayer

Before taking down the underbelly, you might need to check the furnace operation. The air coming out of the bathroom or bedroom vents is usually pretty hot and most people find too much hot air coming through the bathroom vent. If you don't, you probably have some problem with the furnace or ducting.

If you have restricted LP flow, you might have enough LP for the furnace to keep running but not produce a lot of heat. If the thermostat was set to 72, your furnace might run continually without ever getting near your set point.

Another thing to check would be the furnace ducts to make sure nothing's pinched or blocked. You can get to some by taking down the basement wall behind the UDC.

If your windows are single pane, you're going to lose a lot of heat through the windows, so even if everything is working correctly, you might have a challenge keeping it warm without supplemental heat.

If you don't have a fireplace, you might want to get something like a Pelonis Ceramic Disc Heater. It's generates a lot of heat, has safety features, and has an intelligent controller to minimize power use.

RCF

Another thing to check would be the furnace ducts to make sure nothing's pinched or blocked. You can get to some by taking down the basement wall behind the UDC.

This reminds me, when installing a hardwired EMS behind the wall of the storage area, I found the heating duct to the bedroom was cut in several place. As Dan mentioned, a definite possibility to check out.