what do you use to cover the scratches on cabinets?

I've tried old english but nothing seems to work and the areas look bad. I would love to find a way to cover them to make the rig look new. Please help!

Lance & Jo

Re: what do you use to cover the scratchs on cabinets?

I've had good luck useing wood stain from Home Depot. Had to buy 2 colors and mix till I got the right shade, used a piece of scrap oak to test color on.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Depending on what color your wood is you can get some marker type pens at a paint store or big box building center.
I use Min-Wax brand and have them in a couple of different colors.
Works good for me.
Of course if you have a deep scratch it will always be there, but you can make it less obvious.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

We recently had to have a window in the house replaced, along with the wood moldings. The contractor took a section of the old molding to a Sherwin-Williams store and they custom blended a quart of stain to a perfect match. I would suggest that you remove a small door and take it to them to color match.

A word of caution, however. If the scratch is deep, it may end up darker than the surrounding area due to the way the grain absorbs the stain.

RollingHome

We do what Cookie does. Works great for us too, takes about 10 seconds for most scratches. Takes 30 minutes to find the stain pencils. Furniture repair folks use these too... quick n easy.

Happy RVing

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
what do you use to cover the scratchs on cabinets?

The cherry is tough to match. And it changes over time.

iPhone using Tapatalk

Westwind

We have a 2012 BH 3070 with the Glazed Maple woodwork. Maple stain helps with 50% of the problems, we had the stained finish coming off the top of cabinet doors where we touch the woodwork with wet hands. So the top of the trash door and bathroom vanity doors were where we had our problem. I cover it with maple stain and varnish with a semi-gloss polyurethane. I'd like to sand some of the rough area's but I'm afraid and I've decided to leave well enough alone and just do the bad spots.

Thanks everybody, I'll try using the sticks for deep scratchs and stain for the top of bathroom vanity and undersink door. Here's hoping!