Surging, driving me nuts!

ChopperBill

OK most of the pumps surge. Installed a SureFlo accumulator and it might of helped but not enough to brag about it. Pump is also noisy but it doesn't drive me nuts as the constant surging just filling up the bathroom sink. It take longer to fill the sink than I think is necessary. So I took out the aerator on the faucet. NO surging after I did that and it filled the sink twice as fast. Now I went to the shower and undid the hose from the faucet to the shower head and the fitting has a tiny little hole, not any bigger than a 1/16 inch, for water to come out. No wonder the thing surges! Has anyone drilled out that hole (thought I saw a post a few years back) and how much would be you drill it? Far as I am concerned there shouldn't be a restricter in it at all. Which makes me ask, why are there restricters in these faucets?

Tombstonejim

The restrictors are just an attempt to reduce water consumption nothing else. Drill it out as big as you want and control flow with knobs.

RollingHome

Actually most pump makers DO NOT want you to put an accumulator with their pump and will not cover the warranty if you do. That being said, the surging drives me nuts too... Let me/us know how you solve this so I can do the same. I never thought they thought it wise to conserve water even though it aggravates the dickens out of the end user. I'm impressed with your detective work, good job. Keep us/me posted please.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We upgraded to a Flojet VSD -- doesn't surge, isn't as loud, no knocking pipes.

Flojet’s unique Variable Speed Drive system needs no pressure switch. Its microprocessor provides precise speed control to match the system demand. As more water is needed, the motor drives the pump for more flow. As the demand lessens, the motor slows to a super-quiet speed, yet maintains a steady pressure. The result is an unbelievably home-like flow. This smooth performance from no flow to maximum flow is sensor controlled, without any cycling – so an accumulator tank is not needed. The system is free of pulsation, water hammer and temperature swings. Amp draw reduces as flow reduces to conserve energy, ranging from less than 1 amp to a max.of 10 amps. Self priming up to 10’.Automatically adjusts to 12V or 24V input. Thermal overload protection with auto restart. USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChopperBill

Actually most pump makers DO NOT want you to put an accumulator with their pump and will not cover the warranty if you do. That being said, the surging drives me nuts too... Let me/us know how you solve this so I can do the same. I never thought they thought it wise to conserve water even though it aggravates the dickens out of the end user. I'm impressed with your detective work, good job. Keep us/me posted please.

Well I gotta fail on the restricter drill out. The one in the BR sink was easily removable and works out great. No surge and plenty of water so you dont have stand around waiting for the sink to fill. Now the shower and kitchen sink are a different set of problems. Shower has "vacuum breaker" and is impossible to drill out or bypass. Kitchen sink faucet has so much crap to make the spray and regular outlet to work that you would have to de-gut it to fix it. Face it these RV faucets ARE NOT made for the pumps they put in 'em. Nope, I aint shelling out $160 for a fancy pants pump. Tired of throwing money at these RV's, not that I can afford to anyway. Going to look at different shower controls and see if I can come up with something. But, the kitchen is probably going to be the way it is. Thankfully we have full hook ups in AZ for the winter and I dont have to put up with that annoying surging.

Tombstonejim

Well I don't know about the warranty and don't care but I use a standard surflow 2088 pump on my solar powered well and it pumps into to two 120 gallon pressure tanks and the things work for years at a time. Mine usually fail from freezing in the winter more than anything else. Filled the swimming pool with one. 12000 gallons.

evolvingpowercat

Have you tried turning clockwise the pressure adjustment screw on the back of the SurFlow pump to increase the output pressure - this helped me with the surging on faucets in my RV. Also I was able to reduce the surging by tightening the inlet connection on the SurFlow pump it was not tight and the pump was sucking in a little bit of air along with water from the water tank when the pump ran.

ChopperBill

Have you tried turning clockwise the pressure adjustment screw on the back of the SurFlow pump to increase the output pressure - this helped me with the surging on faucets in my RV. Also I was able to reduce the surging by tightening the inlet connection on the SurFlow pump it was not tight and the pump was sucking in a little bit of air along with water from the water tank when the pump ran.

Nope never thought off that. Trailer is put away and winterized until we go to AZ. Will have three months to play with it then. Thanks for the idea..