Best sealer?

CliffP

I have to remove the cable connection from the back of our North Trail to replace a loose cable end. What is the best sealer or caulk to use? Where's a good place to pick it up? Thanks in advance!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One good sealer is Quad.
Another one I like is Ultima, in fact I prefer it.
Both can be found at Menards.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

GOTTOYS

I've used a lot of Quad. I once contacted the mfg. and they said it was also good to use to seal around the edges of rubber roofs...Don

CliffP

Thanks Dave and Don! I picked up some Ultima and it seems to have worked good for my cable fitting.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Gus is correct. Up north building center chain.
I only mentioned Menards because Cliff is in WI.
I haven't seen any in Texas.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

57chevyconvt

Cookie,
Tell me more about this sealer call QUAD. I have never seen it in Lowe's or Home Depot. It it a self leveling sealer or more for caulking vertical joints.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I have spent way too much time researching sealants...still don't have a definitive answer but I can share some thoughts.

Not intending to be argumentative or demeaning to OSI Quad products, they work well and come in numerous colors, but their tech data sheet listed some limitations that kept me looking for something more appropriate to my needs. Specifically the Quad sealants are not compatible with polystyrene foams and polypropylene or polyethylene plastics of which I believe my TPO roof is in part as well as some of the other trim/parts. Not sure if that really matters but it was a question in my mind. Also, Quad is not to be used in applications requiring continuous water immersion. That just would not work here in the Pacific Northwest! A couple other limitations listed by OSI are; not for use with expansion joints, should not be "tooled" (I am simply not adept enough to make a nice caulk bead without tooling) and it should not be used inside occupied structures.

Whether it is any better or not, I don't know but this time I opted for products manufactured by Tremco called Trempro. Downside is they seem to only be available at Fastenal Stores. Upside is they are priced reasonably. Trempro 626 and Trempro 635 are what I used to reseal our Big Country everywhere except the roof where I still used Dicor Self-Leveling. I will let you know if it was a wise choice next year after the winter season. I know it will not be any worse than what was on our rig to begin with!

Best Wishes!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
This is what Heartland uses to caulk the trailers. They used on my trailer in Gillette Wy and gave me a tube to use. Here is a link to a company that carrys it. Sikaflex 505UV The information on the web page says it is toolable.

When I go to put on the caulk (sealant) I use a method that someone showed me an easy to do a pretty nice job. Line the area to be sealed with blue painters tape. A strip above the area and a strip below the area leaving only the area you want to seal. Let it dry a little (sikaflex dries pretty quickly) then remove the blue tape easily. Does a pretty good job. With sikaflex you can use your finger to smooth out the sealant, while the tape is still positioned, and remove the sealant with water. Not like a lot of others that you have to rub off for days.

Thats what I do.
BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a question for the experts here.

When you have finished with your caulk, sealant or whatever you are using from a tube how do you keep the opening from sealing up and you have to cut the tip way down or have to just throw the tube away.

I purchased some little caps in Lowe's that go over the end with a piece that also goes inside the tip. I have used a 10p nail but I am still having problems with using the tube after it has been open. I do take it out of the gun thingy when I am finished..

Any ideas??

BC

SJH

Thats a great question and I have no answer! I simply tape the end of the tube. This works good for a week or so but any longer and I am digging out the tip with some wire! So far, I have been able to reuse all my tubes but it can get messy if I let them sit too long.

SJH

This is what Heartland uses to caulk the trailers. They used on my trailer in Gillette Wy and gave me a tube to use. Here is a link to a company that carrys it. Sikaflex 505UV The information on the web page says it is toolable. BC

I have used it...great sealant! The only problem I had with it is in our area it must be mail-ordered and...it was expensive ($11.00 or so a tube plus shipping). 505UV is not recommended for EPDM or TPO.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Right SJH.. It is not to be used on the roof, but it can be used on all the seams on the outside, as I understand. You have to use Dicor self leveling on the roof.

I have found it at RV Supply/Dealer stores. When I see one I will buy it if I am getting low. I keep one opened tube and one unopened tube.

BC