Can I safely pull this?

Eye

Please don't shoot me for posting another - can I pull this thread. I have seen the calculator but it asks for info I do not know.

I have a 2006 F350 diesel crew cab short box SRW truck with a GVWR of 15,500. I have my eye on a cyclone 3110 5th wheel. At some point I may put a razor atv in the back (assume 1300 lbs).

The trailer has 2 7000 LB axles and therefore I have been told that the pin weight will be around 2000 by heartland customer service (2 x 7000 + 2000 = 16000). The hitch weight is not published for the 3110. The dry weight is 12700.

Apart from a potential future razor, I will be carrying only pedal bikes, clothes, fuel and the usual minor weight items. I will have six passengers, which for the sake of argument will weigh 150 lbs. 4 are actually children right now but they will grow.

I will be pulling in places like Montana. I realize that I will have to pay some attention to how full the tanks are etc. But I guess what I am asking is, is this a reasonable setup or am I fooling myself? Is anyone else pulling a 3110 with an SRW? Heartland customer service and every salesman says it will be fine but I am leary after reading this forum.

Swapping out to a DRW will add considerable expense and would probably mean a downsize in the trailer first.

Mike

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I think the pin weight will be closer to 3000. For a close "guestimate" use about 18% of the trailer GVWR for pin weight.

jnbhobe

Your GVWR is more like 11,300 to 11,500 and the GCWR is 23,500. Max 5th wheel weight is 15,500. You will more than likely be over weight but you won't be alone.

danemayer

You probably have enough towing capacity but payload might be a close call. I agree with Jon, the TV GVWR of 15,500 is not likely. More likely between 10,000 and 11,000. Curb weight of the truck is probably around 7,000, leaving a payload of 3-4,000. I also agree with Steve that your pin weight is more likely to be around 3000.

The driver's door of your truck probably has a label with GVWR and you can weigh the truck by itself to find the curb weight. The difference will be payload. You may be able to look up the specs online. Just be careful to find your configuration.

We have a GMC 3500 with a payload of about 4100. The Landmark's GVWR is 16,200 and although the empty rig pin weight spec is 2620, the actual pinweight with our generator and washer/dryer right up front along with all our stuff comes to 3500. We've had it weighed and we're right at the maximum for the truck's payload even though the actual weight of the trailer as loaded is only 15,000.

How big a problem would overloading cause? You'll get lots of opinions on this. Some about safety concerns, some about legal and liability concerns, some about wear and tear concerns, and some opinions that you'll be fine.

I'd suggest you get a better handle on your actual payload spec and maybe take another whack at the calculator.

Tombstonejim

I have almost the same truck and just happen to have the 06 Ford towing guide on my desk.

It shows 15,900 tow rating for a 4x2 and 15,500 for a 4x4. Gcwr 23,000

The number you need is the GVWR off of the door post. Mine is 10,000.

I am about 300lb over the GVWR. But all other numbers are OK, including axel weights.

I know it is a little over and just live with it. ( Here come the weight police)

I would like a 350 dually or 450 but looking at new prices they are all looking at 65,000 plus. Gulp.

lwmcguir

Folks really should ask, can I control and stop this. Many large semis only have 400 HP which all the 1/2 ton trucks can get to or pretty close.

Birchwood

Look at the trucks GVWR stamped on the door sill.Its definitely not 15500 lbs.Not sure if a Freightliner has that high GVWR.
Your GVWR may be more like 11900lbs and ,yes,it shouldn't be a problem legally hauling the cyclone.

PBAJ

Your vehicle weight ratings are posted on the left inside doorpost of your truck, including weight ratings for each axle, the weight rating for the truck (GVWR), the weight rating for the truck and trailer (GCVWR), and the payload capacity. Toy haulers are a little different than other 5th wheels in that they are designed to haul a good deal of weight behind the axles. You will find that putting something heavy in the garage will lighten the load on the pin, and traveling with an empty garage puts substantially more weight on the pin. I tow a Cyclone 3210 with a 2010 Ford F250, hauling 800 - 1100 pounds of motorcylces in the garage, and using Helwig helper springs to keep everything level. Typically, this combo is a little over on the GVWR for the truck, anywhere from 10,500 lbs. to 10,900 lbs., and the rear axle is loaded to the hilt at right around 6000 lbs., with the GCVWR coming in at the 23,000 lb. limit. I've driven through the mountains of eastern Tennessee with this setup, and never had a problem, although most of my towing is interstate highway at 70 mph. Based on my experience, I would say that you are certainly not being foolish to stick with the F350, it will definitely tow the Cyclone 3110. The skill, experience, and judgement of the driver play a far greater role in safety than marginal differences in weight ratings. That being said, be sure to weigh your rig at a reliable scale a few times under different circumstances, do what you can to limit weight; and balance the load left to right, as well as across all the axles. Also, check, recheck, and then check your tires again, this is where disaster is most likely to occur. Hope this post helps.