Slits in window frames

Sandie

We have been getting these tiny annoying little bugs around some of our windows and they are just easily finding their way inside so I started inspecting things. There are small slits in the bottom of some windows which are open to the outside and I watched as a few just came right in. As a quick fix I taped each one up with black electrical tape but does anyone else have a better idea?

danemayer

Sandie,

I'm not positive, but it sounds like you might be taping over the holes that let water drain from the windows. If you've prevented water from draining, you might cause yourself bigger problems than bugs.

PeternLiane

During rain and morning moisture the droplets run down the window and into the window frame. The two little openings (drains) are horizontal on the frame and they let the water drain out from the window frame. The vast majority of all window have these little window drain openings. Now on mine there are vertical slits where the window frame butts up to each other. I did put black caulking over these vertical slits to stop bugs from coming in. Its worked so far. HOWEVER, DO NOT CAULK OR TAPE OVER THE LITTLE HORIZONTAL WINDOW DRAINS. THAT WILL CAUSE SERIOUS DAMAGE TO THE WINDOW AND TRAILER WALL!

Sandie

Why dont all the windows have them then? Here in the AZ desert I really don't anticipate any condensation issues so I'm keeping the tape on. If we have a cold damp winter then I'll remove it. Are we sure this is what they are for?

PeternLiane

Why dont all the windows have them then? Here in the AZ desert I really don't anticipate any condensation issues so I'm keeping the tape on. If we have a cold damp winter then I'll remove it. Are we sure this is what they are for?

We use to get a lot of condensation in the mornings in Tucson and Flagstaff. We also would get rain. The condensation and rain will build up in the window frame and cause damage. I know that all of my windows have the horizontal drains. I can't speak for yours. Just be careful the damage that is caused by plugging these drains isn't pretty.

Sandie

Tucson and Flag get a lot of rain but Phx area gets lots of dust. My windows were filled with dust and dead little bugs. All my windows that open from side to side have the slits but I don't see any on the emergency bedroom or the small windows in the bedroom slide or the hall way window. Those open vertically...maybe that's why. I'll kep an eye on the weather but as log as its dry and hot I think I'll opt to keep them taped up. It's an easy removal if needed.

CactusTwo

I am with you Sandie, be proactive, keep an eye on moisture and keep the tape on, maybe not stick the bottom part down so it acts like a flapping door in case of moisture or wind storm, maybe get some 2" tape and fold the bottom up onto itself and use that as a weep door flap